• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Crawling bug on bunny skin what is it? UPDATE BEEN VETS ITS FLEAS!!!!

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
Just been seeing to my bunny and discovered some little insect on his skin. Then looked as wondered what it was and it scurried into his long fur. I then checked him and discovered more of them. They are black / brown in colour and don't jump but move very quickly .

Any suggestions what this is and what we need to do . ? He lives indoors at the moment . I have three other rabbits who live in a summerhouse but not checked them yet as it's a bit late

Hi all just got back from the vets and they confirmed it is fleas :(... I didn't even know rabbits could get fleas. We have only found one crawling on him and the droppings on him but we aren't taking any chances. We are treating the other three rabbits even though they don't have any droppings or anything on them and we are fumigating the house. we have kept rabbits for 7 years and NEVER had fleas ..... I don't understand how he has now got them.... I hate crawly things ....saying that I don't think gizmo is very happy about it :roll:

Last edited:
I'd hazard a guess at mites or fleas - don't take my word for it though.
I would take him to the vets tomorrow to confirm what they are, and get treatment. Also inform the vet that you have other rabbits...you may need to treat them too even as a precaution.

As I say, don't take my word for it, I am by no means an expert, and don't have much experience. I'm sure someone else will be able to help you further in the morning

I'd definitely go to the vets with him, they will be able to give him the best treatment, as most of the over the counter stuff is either not rabbit safe or rubbish.

Hi all

Thanks for the advice. We were up till 2am trying to catch the couple we found but they are very quick 😟 but OH set his alarm for 8.30am so we could phone the vet first thing..... Gizmo is going vets at 9.30am so hopefully sort it then. I will write and let you know what they say.
On gizmo it seems to be one or two crawly things in one patch on his back and there is a fair amount of black bits not crawling in the same spot (dropping perhaps)
Whatever this is will we have to treat our other three rabbits? They don't live near gizmo as he is living indoors at the moment recovering from his abscess removal surgery. They do all play in the same areas in the house though. Will we have to treat the house ?

Makes me feel all yuk thinking about it (hate crawly things) so hoping its easy to sort out

Updated original post

See update on original post above.

Its fleas. Now to get rid of the little :censored:.... I hate creepy crawlies !!!!

Are your rabbits up to date with their Myxi-RHD vaccines as rabbits with fleas can be at greater risk of catching myxomatosis

Hi

Yes they are all up to date with their vaccines. :D

We think the drug given is xeno 450. we are treating all the rabbits and the house. I am washing all soft furnishings on a 60 wash. Hopefully we will beat this before they all get infected.

Hi

Yes they are all up to date with their vaccines. :D

We think the drug given is xeno 450. we are treating all the rabbits and the house. I am washing all soft furnishings on a 60 wash. Hopefully we will beat this before they all get infected.

:thumb: Good luck and I hope you kill them all :lol:

I can't speak for bunnies however our cats have just had fleas (fingers crossed they've gone now but we can't rest on our laurels yet) and we found the thing that actually worked the best for getting rid of them (as well as spraying house and treating cats of course) was the flea comb because OH would comb them every day and put them in cup of water if there was any. I don't know if there is this for bunny but if there is I would recommend it.

Wrong treatment !

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. OH has just searched the net and found the drug they treated gizmo with is good for parasites but doesn't always work on flea :? So we got back in touch with the vet (who isn't are normal rabbit savy vet) and they are refunding us. We will have the correct treatment for the other three and the house but gizmo can't have the new med on him for a few days so he will have to wait but they said as we caught it early he ' should be ' fine.

As for the brushing idea yes we do that as he is a long haired lion lop x angora so we have brushes combs and a fine (flea) comb with we use on our Netherland dwarf x Rex bunny . As anyone who knows Rex as a breed will tell you their coats are like silk and you need a fine comb for grooming.

We have checked the other three rabbits and so far no sign of fleas or droppings :)

Back