• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Theo might have cancer. U/D Bad news P33

Theo hasn't really been himself the past few weeks. I took him to the vet about 2 weeks ago thinking he might need a dental as he seemed to be struggling to eat. The vet had a good look in his mouth but said his teeth looked fine, she couldn't see any spurs! She said they were a little bit long but that was it. So she gave him some pain relief and gut stimulant and provisionally booked him in for an operation but said he only really needed the op if he didn't eat anything in the next 24 hours or seemed to not come round. The pain relief seemed to work and he soon got his appetite back so we thought that was it.

However he went downhill again. My Mum took him to the vet again yesterday whilst I was at work as he just looked so down. His eyes had lost their spark and he was hardly touching his food. He ran to eat it but wasn't actually able to eat it. The vet had a look in his mouth and noticed deep groves in both sides of his tongue. :cry: They were not there before so this has happened in 2 weeks. His teeth had been digging in and causing him so much pain but again spurs couldn't be seen! :shock: Still, he was booked in for a dental today so they could have a better look.

When the vet had a look she was shocked to see that his teeth were perfect! How come he had the deep groves in his tongue? :? She had a good feel in his mouth and discovered a lump in his jaw. When she felt it, a bit of puss came out so she tried to drain in but unfortunatley failed to do so as the lump was so solid. It turns out that the lump had raised his tongue so that it would rest in a different position so everytime he ate, his teeth dug into it. So she has sorted out his teeth so that they no longer cut his tongue, for now anyway.

We were told the lump could be one of three things:

Best case scenario: an abscess

Second best: an abscess in the bone

Worst case: a tumor

We of course are hoping it's just an abscess so Theo has been given 2 types of antibiotics and also is on metacam for pain relief. If it's an abscess then the antibiotics should clear it and it will be great but if the antibiotics aren't doing anything then it must be a tumor. :cry:

Going back to the vets on Friday so Theo can be checked up on and then we have to go back in 10 days to see if the antibiotics have worked. I really hope they do work because if not and it is a tumour, then my poor little boy will probably have to be helped to the bridge. :cry:

Please can we have vibes that it is one of the better scenarios, I can't lose Theo, he's so special.

Last edited:
Oh, no :( Poor Theo. I'm so sorry, Emma. How worrying for you all :(

Sending all the vibes I can muster and hoping it isn't worst-case scenario :(

I do hope the lump turns out to be something that can be treated. It's horrible not knowing what you're up against.

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all the vibes and hugs!

On a good note, Theo is so much better today than he has been. The spark is back in his eyes and he's been much more active, eating more and washing himself. Hector is currently looking after him too so he's a happy boy at the moment. :love:

Vibes for Theo, hope everything is okay! Where abouts is thelump? Flash had a very hard lump towards front of his jaw and absolutely no spurs on his back teeth, turned out it was a front tooth abscess

EDIT: When I looked up this sort of stuff a lot of websites said antibiotics weren't very effective for abscesses and that the whole thing including capsule must be removed, unless you're 100% certain of your vets rabbit knowledge I'd really recommend you go see Frances Harcourt-Brown before she retires, if anyone can fix Theo it's her and it could end up cheaper in the long run

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all your comments. It's good news! When Theo went for his check up on Friday, the vet found that the lump had already gone down and puss was draining out so we're pretty certain it is an abscess! :D He is on the road to recovery.

Thanks Demi, he is on the strongest antibiotics they can give him and at the moment they seem to be working. :D I'm quite confident with my vet. Jo Hallam from Abbey House, she's very rabbit savvy. :) However, Poppy has been to see FHB and I know she is brilliant so if this doesn't work then I will definately make the trip to see her. x

Back