• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies Holiday

i am going on holiday on the 14th-24th august and my grandad is looking after the bunnies. I have bought new food to stock up but taking the rest of the food away from him other wise he will over feed them. i have got them a small bag of treats for him to give them but i am not expecting any to be left when i come back as i know what he is like. i have told him not to give them cabbage or any vegetables as it gives them a bad stomach and dirrahoea and he would have to be cleaning that up. i have told him how to clean out the litter tray and how much to feed them. i have of course left a big bag of hay. i may run of litter for the trays but i have told him if that happens just go and get some woodshavings as it would only be for a few days anyway and the shavings would be getting covered with hay. i have left him the bunnies carrier and the vets emergency number and adresses incase he needs to take them or he just needs to ring up for some advice.

what else do i need to do.
any advice would be appreciated

I would tell him to watch out for Stasis and other health issues and also tell him about RU in case he needs to post for advice :thumb:

could you tell me how to explain stasis to a 65 year old so i can right it down for him please zoobec
Here's a link to the health sticky section, maybe you could print some stuff off for him http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?297802-Old-Useful-Topics-Health

Don't forget to tell him to do regular bottom checks for flystrike. Change water regularly, feed loads of hay.

You could say if they do any of the following to take them to the vet:-
stop eating
Are pressing their tummy to the floor
Are sat hunched up
Have any wounds
Are sneezing with discharge
Are tilting their head
Have any eye discharge

Maybe others could add to the list as I'm not feeling the best at the moment so I prob will have missed out more than I put :oops:

I always make up containers with the exact amount of food that I want them to be fed so that the watchers don't overfeed :)

Back