• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best abx for otitis

Hi.

I don't know if it's necessary at this point but I just want to go to the vets this evening armed with as much info as poss. Bilbo is on treatment for EC but at his last appointment, abx for potential otitis was not mentioned. I'm not sure if I remember the vet even looking in their ears.

Anyway, im going to mention it this evening and see what they say. He is only 11 weeks old though so I'm not sure if abx at this point is a great idea. However if she suggests them, what are the best abx to treat the broad range of bacteria that cause otitis? If he is going on antibiotics, I don't want him on some that are totally pointless.

Thanks.

As I said in my PM I would be very reluctant to introduce abx without a definitive diagnosis of Otitis

Baytril would be the most likely to be prescribed to such a young Rabbit, it is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. But even Baytril is not without risk of side effects for an 11 week old Rabbit. These include Gastrointestinal problems and also damage to the developing cartilage within the skeleton. This can then lead to early onset osteoarthritis

As I said in my PM I would be very reluctant to introduce abx without a definitive diagnosis of Otitis

Baytril would be the most likely to be prescribed to such a young Rabbit, it is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. But even Baytril is not without risk of side effects for an 11 week old Rabbit. These include Gastrointestinal problems and also damage to the developing cartilage within the skeleton. This can then lead to early onset osteoarthritis

Thank you Jane :) As this vet hasnt seen them before (pain in the bottom i know, but i think i explained in my PM) we will discuss everything again. Im pretty sure that abx arent necessary, but want to cover all my bases, go in prepared and see what the vet says. Im sure i probably worry too much!

Back