• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why are golden poos good?

weeble

I know people seem to aim for them but I was looking at a load of wild rabbit poo the other day and they are small and black and surely wild rabbits have the 'perfect' diet :?

Kerbie will only really eat readigrass and his poops are an okay size but very dark on the outside, normal poop colour on the inside!

Personally I care more about the size as if any of mine are off I can tell due to poos getting smaller as the colour of their poops change with what hay they eat more of.
If they eat more meadow hay they are big and golden, if it's more timothy hay then they are big and kind of caramel in colour, again they are 'normal' colour and crumbly on the inside.

(I open poops up occasionally to see inside :oops:)

When my quad were pairs in moveable runs on the grass :oops: :shock: (before I knew you should mesh the bottom and relay the turf) their poos were much smaller and really dark. Now they are big round and golden, as their new run is mesh and then playbark so they don't get so much in the way of grass. I wouldn't believe the difference if I hadn't seen it for myself. In fact the size of them still surprises me, as they are only little buns.

Sorry I know I shouldn't rant but the whole golden poos thing really irritates me!

The poos are only golden if the bunny eats a certain kind of hay as you've all said. If they eat greener hay or grass then the poos are darker.

I do get quite annoyed when people talk about golden poos as though they're better than darker ones as it doesn't mean anything and obviously worries some newer members to the forum!

Kerbie will only really eat readigrass and his poops are an okay size but very dark on the outside, normal poop colour on the inside!

Personally I care more about the size as if any of mine are off I can tell due to poos getting smaller as the colour of their poops change with what hay they eat more of.
If they eat more meadow hay they are big and golden, if it's more timothy hay then they are big and kind of caramel in colour, again they are 'normal' colour and crumbly on the inside.

(I open poops up occasionally to see inside :oops:)

I thought I was the only one :oops::lol: I squash them quite often to check if they are dry and crumbly :lol:

My rabbits Do golden poops as well as the darker one! This is mainly because they are out free ranging in the garden all day everyday so they eat mainly grass/herbs/plants :D However if it's a rainy day they are usually just having normal things such a hay and forage as well as their treats and pellets :love:

Last edited:
My bunny poops and big and dark with flecks of gold... They eat a huge amount of hay but also like atimothy Hay and readigrass!!!

As long as poops are big and healthy, i have no worries,,,,

Fee xx

My bunny poops and big and dark with flecks of gold... They eat a huge amount of hay but also like atimothy Hay and readigrass!!!

As long as poops are big and healthy, i have no worries,,,,

Fee xx

I'm the same. Mine get mostly locally sourced nice green hay, but I give them timothy hay, readi grass etc as treat hay. Plus they get a varied selection of veggies and herbs, and sometimes forage.
Their poops are always a different colour, but stay the same size, so I mostly worry about the size

I've only ever had big golden poo from my lot when I ordered some hay from the hay experts & it came with an extra bag of hay so I gave it to mine and it gave them nice big golden poo. It was lovely :oops: but normally I just get black poo. Mine get a egg cupful of pellets each in the evening, unlimited Timothy hay & some rabbit friendly herbs/fruit/veg for breakfast so I don't think they have a bad diet.

Sorry I know I shouldn't rant but the whole golden poos thing really irritates me!

The poos are only golden if the bunny eats a certain kind of hay as you've all said. If they eat greener hay or grass then the poos are darker.

I do get quite annoyed when people talk about golden poos as though they're better than darker ones as it doesn't mean anything and obviously worries some newer members to the forum!

I thought I was the only one lol...... :oops::lol: I do think the emphasis should move away from the colour and concentrate on the size and consistency.

I agree, golden poops aren't necessarily better. A rabbit fed on lots of grass or darker hays will still be getting all the benefits of a good diet (healthy digestion, wearing the teeth down etc) but will have darker poops, that's all.

Jasper has always had very small dark poos. He doesn't eat an awful lot of hay so I guess that's why. Buttons has quite big, caramel coloured poos. Nibbles has slightly smaller ones :lol: such a poo fanatic

Golden poos = high hay content in the poo. That's why they're good - for a rabbit with a diet high in hay you would want to see it in their poo. But if the rabbit's diet is lower in hay and higher in other things, like fresh foods (grass, forage, veggies) or pellets, they will be darker. And that's fine too, provided that that is the reason, and it's not just because they're not eating much hay/grass.

As my rabbits have a diet high in hay and don't have grass, I always want to see golden poos, and have noticed a direct correlation between large, round, crumbly golden or light-brown poops and Barney's gut health - as opposed to squishier, darker, smaller poops which usually indicate he is not eating enough hay and will start to lose weight/his gut will start to slow down.

I was wondering the same thing about wild rabbit poos the other day, and I came to the conclusion that as well as no hay, it also may be due to them eating unsuitable foods. We have wild rabbits at work and they do eat plants that look unsuitable - e.g. celandine.

Spenser is a better hay-eater than he used to be, but his output is very dark. He does favour orchard grass hay though, so this is to be expected. I do wish they were a bit bigger though. Size and consistency can vary quite considerably with him. I've cut his pellets down a fair bit, but it hasn't made any difference.

I thought I was the only one lol...... :oops::lol: I do think the emphasis should move away from the colour and concentrate on the size and consistency.

Not only is it a test of healthy bunny but a test of a truly concerned bunny owner. Yes, I knew the woman I was talking to at my partner's Xmas do was slightly nuts (but in a good way) when we managed a conversation for a whole half an hour (possibly longer) on the size, shape, colour and consistency of our bunnys's poos before we realised that both our respective other halfs were pretending not to be with us.

Most of the time I'm reasonably happy with their poo but on the odd occasion I have found poos strung together and then I delay giving them there evening feed by half an hour and try and get them to eat a little more hay which usually does the trick.

Back