PDA

View Full Version : Why are golden poos good?

weeble
11-08-2014, 07:52 PM
I know people seem to aim for them but I was looking at a load of wild rabbit poo the other day and they are small and black and surely wild rabbits have the 'perfect' diet :?

tashp90
11-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Isn't that the difference between hay and grass eaters?

weeble
11-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Isn't that the difference between hay and grass eaters?

Ah maybe and I suppose there arent many domestic rabbits who have a diet of mostly grass

Aly&Poppy<3
11-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Kerbie will only really eat readigrass and his poops are an okay size but very dark on the outside, normal poop colour on the inside!

Personally I care more about the size as if any of mine are off I can tell due to poos getting smaller as the colour of their poops change with what hay they eat more of.
If they eat more meadow hay they are big and golden, if it's more timothy hay then they are big and kind of caramel in colour, again they are 'normal' colour and crumbly on the inside.

(I open poops up occasionally to see inside :oops:)

Zoobec
11-08-2014, 07:59 PM
When my quad were pairs in moveable runs on the grass :oops: :shock: (before I knew you should mesh the bottom and relay the turf) their poos were much smaller and really dark. Now they are big round and golden, as their new run is mesh and then playbark so they don't get so much in the way of grass. I wouldn't believe the difference if I hadn't seen it for myself. In fact the size of them still surprises me, as they are only little buns.

Hesperus
11-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Sorry I know I shouldn't rant but the whole golden poos thing really irritates me!

The poos are only golden if the bunny eats a certain kind of hay as you've all said. If they eat greener hay or grass then the poos are darker.

I do get quite annoyed when people talk about golden poos as though they're better than darker ones as it doesn't mean anything and obviously worries some newer members to the forum!

Zoobec
11-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Kerbie will only really eat readigrass and his poops are an okay size but very dark on the outside, normal poop colour on the inside!

Personally I care more about the size as if any of mine are off I can tell due to poos getting smaller as the colour of their poops change with what hay they eat more of.
If they eat more meadow hay they are big and golden, if it's more timothy hay then they are big and kind of caramel in colour, again they are 'normal' colour and crumbly on the inside.

(I open poops up occasionally to see inside :oops:)

I thought I was the only one :oops::lol: I squash them quite often to check if they are dry and crumbly :lol:

Nadpets101
11-08-2014, 08:05 PM
My rabbits Do golden poops as well as the darker one! This is mainly because they are out free ranging in the garden all day everyday so they eat mainly grass/herbs/plants :D However if it's a rainy day they are usually just having normal things such a hay and forage as well as their treats and pellets :love:

Fee
11-08-2014, 08:23 PM
My bunny poops and big and dark with flecks of gold... They eat a huge amount of hay but also like atimothy Hay and readigrass!!!

As long as poops are big and healthy, i have no worries,,,,

Fee xx

dumblepaws
11-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Ah maybe and I suppose there arent many domestic rabbits who have a diet of mostly grass

Mine do!
And yep poos do vary depending on if they've eaten more hay or more grass that day

Aly&Poppy<3
11-08-2014, 08:24 PM
[/B]

I thought I was the only one :oops::lol: I squash them quite often to check if they are dry and crumbly :lol:

:lol: My bf thinks I'm a nutter, but I like to keep tabs on all aspects of their poop .. :oops: :lol:

Zoobec
11-08-2014, 08:25 PM
:lol: My bf thinks I'm a nutter, but I like to keep tabs on all aspects of their poop .. :oops: :lol:
:lol: I've never actually been caught breaking up poo :lol:

tashp90
11-08-2014, 08:37 PM
My bunny poops and big and dark with flecks of gold... They eat a huge amount of hay but also like atimothy Hay and readigrass!!!

As long as poops are big and healthy, i have no worries,,,,

Fee xx

I'm the same. Mine get mostly locally sourced nice green hay, but I give them timothy hay, readi grass etc as treat hay. Plus they get a varied selection of veggies and herbs, and sometimes forage.
Their poops are always a different colour, but stay the same size, so I mostly worry about the size

Sarah1989
11-08-2014, 08:50 PM
I've only ever had big golden poo from my lot when I ordered some hay from the hay experts & it came with an extra bag of hay so I gave it to mine and it gave them nice big golden poo. It was lovely :oops: but normally I just get black poo. Mine get a egg cupful of pellets each in the evening, unlimited Timothy hay & some rabbit friendly herbs/fruit/veg for breakfast so I don't think they have a bad diet.

Jack's-Jane
11-08-2014, 08:51 PM
Yep, Rabbits who eat lots of grass are likely to do dark poos.

KarenM
11-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Sorry I know I shouldn't rant but the whole golden poos thing really irritates me!

The poos are only golden if the bunny eats a certain kind of hay as you've all said. If they eat greener hay or grass then the poos are darker.

I do get quite annoyed when people talk about golden poos as though they're better than darker ones as it doesn't mean anything and obviously worries some newer members to the forum!

I thought I was the only one lol...... :oops::lol: I do think the emphasis should move away from the colour and concentrate on the size and consistency.

I agree, golden poops aren't necessarily better. A rabbit fed on lots of grass or darker hays will still be getting all the benefits of a good diet (healthy digestion, wearing the teeth down etc) but will have darker poops, that's all.

Alison Marie
11-08-2014, 09:51 PM
Jasper has always had very small dark poos. He doesn't eat an awful lot of hay so I guess that's why. Buttons has quite big, caramel coloured poos. Nibbles has slightly smaller ones :lol: such a poo fanatic

nessar
11-08-2014, 11:59 PM
Golden poos = high hay content in the poo. That's why they're good - for a rabbit with a diet high in hay you would want to see it in their poo. But if the rabbit's diet is lower in hay and higher in other things, like fresh foods (grass, forage, veggies) or pellets, they will be darker. And that's fine too, provided that that is the reason, and it's not just because they're not eating much hay/grass.

As my rabbits have a diet high in hay and don't have grass, I always want to see golden poos, and have noticed a direct correlation between large, round, crumbly golden or light-brown poops and Barney's gut health - as opposed to squishier, darker, smaller poops which usually indicate he is not eating enough hay and will start to lose weight/his gut will start to slow down.

I was wondering the same thing about wild rabbit poos the other day, and I came to the conclusion that as well as no hay, it also may be due to them eating unsuitable foods. We have wild rabbits at work and they do eat plants that look unsuitable - e.g. celandine.

susie bun
12-08-2014, 12:05 AM
Spenser is a better hay-eater than he used to be, but his output is very dark. He does favour orchard grass hay though, so this is to be expected. I do wish they were a bit bigger though. Size and consistency can vary quite considerably with him. I've cut his pellets down a fair bit, but it hasn't made any difference.

Britannia
12-08-2014, 12:11 AM
I thought I was the only one lol...... :oops::lol: I do think the emphasis should move away from the colour and concentrate on the size and consistency.

Not only is it a test of healthy bunny but a test of a truly concerned bunny owner. Yes, I knew the woman I was talking to at my partner's Xmas do was slightly nuts (but in a good way) when we managed a conversation for a whole half an hour (possibly longer) on the size, shape, colour and consistency of our bunnys's poos before we realised that both our respective other halfs were pretending not to be with us.

Most of the time I'm reasonably happy with their poo but on the odd occasion I have found poos strung together and then I delay giving them there evening feed by half an hour and try and get them to eat a little more hay which usually does the trick.

Hesperus
12-08-2014, 12:11 AM
Golden poos = high hay content in the poo. That's why they're good - for a rabbit with a diet high in hay you would want to see it in their poo. But if the rabbit's diet is lower in hay and higher in other things, like fresh foods (grass, forage, veggies) or pellets, they will be darker. And that's fine too, provided that that is the reason, and it's not just because they're not eating much hay/grass.

As my rabbits have a diet high in hay and don't have grass, I always want to see golden poos, and have noticed a direct correlation between large, round, crumbly golden or light-brown poops and Barney's gut health - as opposed to squishier, darker, smaller poops which usually indicate he is not eating enough hay and will start to lose weight/his gut will start to slow down.

I was wondering the same thing about wild rabbit poos the other day, and I came to the conclusion that as well as no hay, it also may be due to them eating unsuitable foods. We have wild rabbits at work and they do eat plants that look unsuitable - e.g. celandine.

I (politely!) disagree. Ludo eats nearly nothing but hay and his poos are only golden if I buy him hay which is golden. His usual hay is greener and darker and his poos are not golden they're a medium brown- but they are crumbly and full of hay bits.

nessar
12-08-2014, 12:43 AM
I (politely!) disagree. Ludo eats nearly nothing but hay and his poos are only golden if I buy him hay which is golden. His usual hay is greener and darker and his poos are not golden they're a medium brown- but they are crumbly and full of hay bits.

In which case you can still see it in his poo, which was my point :D

Miss Binky Bunny
12-08-2014, 01:28 AM
The most golden poos mine had were after her GA and ear flush when she was given zantac and metacam. Normally they are large, round but darker, from the same amount of hay, fresh greens, teaspoon of fruit and eggcup of pellets she gets everyday.

Jbun
12-08-2014, 05:46 AM
What I have found makes the biggest difference with my rabbits fecal poop quality and size, is the maturity of the hay they are eating - eg. stalky hay vs. leafy hay. Because more mature stalky hay has the most indigestible fiber, the more they eat of this hay, the larger and more friable their poop is. My rabbit that loves the stalky bits the best has very golden crumbly poop, but it is also harder to keep weight on her so I have to encourage her to also eat leafy hay for the higher protein. My bun that tends to favor the leafy bits, has much smaller, darker, and harder poop, to the point that it is small enough that it can be a bit worrying. So with him I try to encourage the stalky hay by providing more of it and less of the leafy parts.

The most dramatic difference can be seen with my megacolon bun. When he gets too much leafy hay, he will have poop that gets very large, dark, moist, and log shaped. Very worrying to me as it presents such a risk of a blockage occurring. When I provide more of the stalky hay and less leafy bits, his poop looks so much better, even to the point of looking close to normal - golden, friable, more evenly sized(not as many extra large and extra small ones), and more round and less oblong and no long log shaped ones. It can be quite a balancing act with all of my buns, ensuring they are getting enough indigestible fiber for good GI motility while also getting enough nutrients and protein for good health and to maintain a healthy weight.

I don't worry so much about the 'golden' color, but it just seems that when their poop is just right, a good size and consistency, that they just will naturally end up being golden as they are getting the right balance of indigestible fiber and protein.

KarenM
12-08-2014, 08:40 AM

I agree with the bolded part & that's why I mentioned that I think the emphasis should be on size & consistency & not colour.

It seems that, because golden poops are mentioned so much on here, people then get the impression that a golden colour is the only sign of a good poop. If poops are golden then, yes, chances are that means the diet is good - although not always because if a rabbit eats lots of straw then the poo will be even lighter still, yet straw has a very low nutritional value.

But it doesn't mean that poops of any other colour are necessarily inferior, which seems to be a common misconception.

Above all, I think the most important thing is to get to know what's normal for your own bunny as this thread shows our bunnies are all different. Like Hesperus and Ludo, I'm accustomed to slightly darker poops with my two because of the type of hay they eat & the amount of grass they consume. I can still tell from the size and texture that they're consuming enough fibre, so it's also easy to tell when there's a gut slow down.

luna
12-08-2014, 09:53 AM
What makes me happy where poops are concerned is that they are the right shape and size. I hate seeing uneaten caecals but luckily rosie has very healthy poo's. Hers are a good colour but when she has been eating grass they are almost black !!!

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

sally1974
12-08-2014, 11:01 AM
My poos are always dark, mine eat a lot of grass and tons of hay but they are more often than not dark and not golden.

Fellie
12-08-2014, 01:06 PM
My buns are all fed much the same basic food - SS pellets and hay (meadow and Alfalfa King timothy hay) - and their poops vary enormously in size and colour :roll:

The 4 lops all do big, beautiful poops - normally dark, but occassionaly caramel coloured.

Bobo does the next size down in poops - still not a bad size but always dark.

Cheyenne and Prudhoe do smaller ones - dark/caramel coloured

And the lionhead Harley does the most pathetic excuse for poops - tiny, dark little ones...I used to be worried but she does eat loads of hay, and only has pellets and the odd fenugreek crunchie - probably the most healthiest diet of the lot to be honest - but I cannot get her to do decent poops. She also does have problems with un-eaten cecals so I try and keep her pellet intake to an absolute minimum.

So no - none of mine produce golden poops - but not in the least bit concerned as I know SS pellets make poop darker too.:D

William
12-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Mine eat mostly hay so their poop color depends on what color the hay is. If it's mostly green and soft they have dark poop, if it has a lot of stalky pieces they have golden poop.

tulsi
12-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Mine have grass and hay every day (plus burgess excell pellets and forage) and all have dark black poos.

The belgian hares poos are massive compared to everyone elses. They do eat loads and loads though, they are also by far the biggest of all my rabbits.

I know when a rabbit isnt well and dont have any concerns about their 'output' atm.

Ailstar
12-08-2014, 03:36 PM
I'm quite pleased to see this thread. I've always been a bit worried as my two don't ever really do golden poos. But they eat a lot of grass. They have a run that is constantly on grass. They also have a regular supply of readigrass. I'm pretty sure they eat plenty of hay too, I've seen them, and they must eat something as apart from an eggcup of pellets and some forage between them they don't get any veggies or hardly any treats. They definitely aren't starving!!

*lily*
12-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Louie never does golden poops, he eats much more grass than hay though.

As long as he is pooing I am happy :D