• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I be concerned about his ears?

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
Stan has one lop ear and one uppy ear.

He is fine in himself, running round, eating etc but we have noticed today that his uppy ear is down? Not all the time, he can put it up but seems to be choosing to be a lop today?

I cant see anything wrong with it.

I pondered if it was just when he was out on the patio as its really windy here today but he also did it in the shed.

My gorgeous blue eyed white rabbit, Daisy had helicopter ears for ages and has recently lopped them both. Her sister is a brown eyed brown furred up earred rabbit!

Hopefully its perfectly ok. Will watch this thread with interest.

I had an uppy-eared rabbit. He went for his vaccinations one day, in which the vet put the 'intra-dermal' part into his ear. His ear flopped and never raised again :cry:

I took him to see another vet, who said the cartilage had been damaged, but that the bunny was in no pain.

My gorgeous blue eyed white rabbit, Daisy had helicopter ears for ages and has recently lopped them both. Her sister is a brown eyed brown furred up earred rabbit!

Hopefully its perfectly ok. Will watch this thread with interest.

Fingers crossed then. Hes just over a year old and always been helicopter. Yesterday I had to study if he had swapped ears over, but checking photos he hadn't then today they are lop so maybe yesterday they were tilting more??

If he is a truly uppy earred bunny, then a lopped ear should definately be cause for concern, it can be a symptom of an ear infection of sorts.

However, if he is sometimes uppy sometimes loppy anyway, i wouldn't be too concerned, Ginger used to have ears that went all over the place!

I had an uppy-eared rabbit. He went for his vaccinations one day, in which the vet put the 'intra-dermal' part into his ear. His ear flopped and never raised again :cry:

I took him to see another vet, who said the cartilage had been damaged, but that the bunny was in no pain.

You've got me pondering now. Yesterday we put a shelf up in the shed and had to drill two holes. Stan totally freaked even though he wasn't in the shed and rang forwards and backwards a few times in his tunnel. I wonder if he caught his ears in the panic.

Just gone out to see him with some tempting dandelion leaves and hes a helicopter again! Bloomin bunnies!

Last edited:
If he's usually lopped, I'd pop him along for a check up as this was one of Alfie's symptoms and he has an ear infection in both ears.

If he's always been a helicopter bun, I wouldn't worry too much and would just keep an eye on it. If it's irritating him (scratching, head shaking etc) then I'd obviously go to the vets.

When it's hot they increase blood flow to the ears, which in turn makes they heavier, which can tip the balance in rabbits that are borderline lops/helicopter buns. It can also be signs of ears issues though if you are worried or there are any other symptoms get a checkup :)

Back