• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My male bun keeps attacking my boyfriend!

B&B Buns

Alpha Buck
Afternoon all. I have regularly looked up topics that I needed on the Forum since acquiring my first mini lop, Bunny (original I know!), last November but this is my first post so I'll give you a bit of background...

We recently decided that Bunny should have a friend so off we went and collected Buster. He was about 17 weeks when we got him and un-neutered so we kept them separate and had him done about 4-5 weeks ago (10th July). He's now 6 months old.

Bunny is the friendliest little thing you could imagine, she's noisy and comes running over to say hello. Although she's obviously not thrilled about being handled she's relatively easy to pick up and seems to realise we only do it for her own good e.g. to put her outside (they are house rabbits) or check her bum.

Buster on the other hand is pretty shy and gives a real chase to get anywhere close to him. He spent the first few days at home darting into his shoe box and sitting looking out with scared eyes. Thankfully due to some gentle coaxing with food etc. he has come round to me and enjoys a good head rub.

So....onto my actual problem. Buster keeps attacking my boyfriend. He lunged at my BF and bit him on the knuckle as he leant over the pen to stroke him one morning and clung on even as he yanked his arm away. It started about a week after he was neutered so I was initially worried that he may be in discomfort or pain, but he was otherwise fine, running around, eating and generally being a happy little chap. Now we've moved him into the dining room so he's alongside Bunny and as my BF walks into the room he launches himself at his feet and even bit his shoe this morning.

We are about to start bonding the buns and I am also worried that he might be aggressive towards Bunny, although I know that how rabbits interact with each other is different to how they behave with us.

I am trying to get the BF to spend more time with him and make a fuss of him but understandably he is a bit reluctant. I am hoping that someone might have some advice because I really don't want to have to choose between the men in my life! ;) Thanks in advance!

My bunny Chloe will launch and bite me if I smell like any other bunny apart from her mate Barney. I help out at a bunny rescue so I when I come home I have to shower and change all of my clothes so she can't smell the other rabbits and become aggressive. I think Buster maybe frustrated because he can smell Bunny but hasn't yet been introduced to her. Things should calm down once they are bonded.

Hey! I can't advise on bonding and I have a single bun but my bun is not overjoyed by my boyfriend either lol he's starting to get his hormones and he doesn't like him in my room. whenever he sleeps over, my bunny throws himself at the puppy panels and tries to get on the bed. He also attacked his shoes last night lol

He's only got one plum descended and I'm not planning to have him done till he's at least 5 months (to my boyfriends dismay haha) but hormones can take up to 6 weeks to fully settle after neutering.

Maybe get your boyfriend to have a go at hand feeding him so the rabbit associates him with nice things? That's what I will be doing haha

If might be a bit of left over hormones or just he's feeling a bit insecure and that's making him territorial - and the behaviour then becomes habit.

There is an article I wrote here which may help: http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-aggressive-rabbit.asp

I would try to give him plenty of places to hide (tunnels/boxes etc.) as that will boost his confidence. Warning him verbally if you are about to enter his space may help too - sometimes they attack before IDing the thing they are attacking. It's really important he doesn't learn the behaviour gets him what he wants i.e. he doesn't learn biting makes you go away. The answer to that is generally pop on some protection (tough clothing) and let him learn you aren't moving just because he wants you to. Rewarding good behaviour is another option eg calling him over to get a treat.

Thank you for your prompt responses. I've informed The BF that he needs to stand his ground so we'll be using the recommendations in your article Tamsin - thank you.

I am concerned that he isn't aggressive towards me at all, only my other half, but I don't think he's done anything to upset him. It could just be that as he hates being handled so much and that was the main thing the OH did over the past few weeks to take him outside that he just associates him with discomfort/annoyance whereas I bring food and fuss! Fingers crossed we can work through it...

Thanks again. Jo.

I'm sure rabbits are smart enough to ID individual people and associate them with things so that may well be the original trigger.

Using a pet carrier when you need to move bunnies about can be less stressful for some nervous bunnies if that helps :)

Yeah we did resort to the carrier and I recommended that the place we boarded them recently transfer him from hutch to run in it as I don't think we'd get him back if he escaped in the garden! I wondered whether it might be a male jealousy thing but who knows. Think it will just take time. They can def id people, Bunny only ever buzzes when she sees me or the BF. Will have to work how to put up some pics because they are a pair of cuties...but then aren't all buns!! 😊

Yeah we did resort to the carrier and I recommended that the place we boarded them recently transfer him from hutch to run in it as I don't think we'd get him back if he escaped in the garden! I wondered whether it might be a male jealousy thing but who knows. Think it will just take time. They can def id people, Bunny only ever buzzes when she sees me or the BF. Will have to work how to put up some pics because they are a pair of cuties...but then aren't all buns!! 

I have read of others having similar issues- female bun loving the male human in the home and attacking his wife. So certainly a possibility.

Ok so last night he seemed to start going for my legs too. He either took a big dislike to my pjs or he really doesn't like having what he deems to be his space invaded. He doesn't have a lot of choice though as I now have to go through "his" half of the dining room to get to Bunny.

Bf managed to hand feed him some cabbage and cucumber this morning without any sign of attack so that's a start.

I have a new question too - I know that you can neutralise hard surfaces with white vinegar but anyone got any tips on what to use on carpet?

Thanks. Jo. 

Bf managed to hand feed him some cabbage and cucumber this morning without any sign of attack so that's a start.

Glad that worked for you too :) George last night had no interest in my boyfriend unless he had food which is an improvement!

I use a deodorising spray that is pet safe. The one I've got is from the 99p store (got it as a trial and wasn't expecting much) but it is actually really good! It's called Dr Js just 4 pets. There's lots on the market but that one a well priced and works on my carpets :)

Is there any way that you could change things round so that you don't have to go through his space to reach Bunny? This could be rather unrelaxing for him and cause him to feel defensive.

I would use vinegar watered down on your carpets, the smell soon goes.

Try sitting with/ignoring him for a bit so that he doesn't associate humans with touch.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I will try the watered down vinegar first I think and see how we get on. Hopefully the house won't start smelling like a chip shop!

Buster has calmed right down in the last few days and hasn't charged at either me or the bf, so good signs so far. He's v affectionate and hasn't turn down a fuss at all this week. He seems quite happy living next to Bunny so I am looking forward to putting them together this weekend... Oh who am I kidding, I'm bricking it!!! Oh well, hopefully they'll be ok.

Thanks again for your help peeps :)

Good luck with the bonding. Keep us posted. I enjoyed bonding my quad but .... it was also stressful!

Just make sure that you dont expand their space too quickly as it can lead to them starting to re assert dominance all over again.

Back