• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am building George a run!

GabyEmilyB

Warren Scout
I am popping my DIY cherry today and building my boy a run so he can enjoy what's left of the sun!

I've never built anything before so my dad is helping lol
I feel cheated buying one from pets at home and refuse to line their pockets when they make it for £20 and sell them for £80.....and that's small ones!

Wish me luck haha

Good luck :thumb: don't forget to use small holed strong weldmesh (16 or 19 guage 1/2x1cm holes is best) not chicken mesh as buns can chew through chicken mesh and predators can too. And watch out for the sharp ends on the weldmesh when you are uncoiling it, I managed to cut my hand on it when we were meshing our run :cry:

Brilliant - I bet you get something much bigger for much less money. Don't forget some pictures when you are done!

And if you mesh the inside of the run it looks neater and stops wood chewing ;)

I'm gunna need luck!haha

I've got very small mesh that is marketed for aviaries and is a lot stronger than chicken wire and has smaller holes so I'm pretty confident he won't be able to chew through it :) I'm quite excited and empowered!don't need a man do do DIY (except my dad)haha!

Wood is treated and ready to put together tomorrow when dry!

I ACTUALLY used a saw haha

image.jpg

We have a frame!!!going to put the mesh and door on tomorrow and it's all done for my little love!

image.jpg

I have to say.....I've not spent this much time doing something with my dad in AGES and I'm really enjoying it :) building something together and chatting, it's so nice!

Awesome :) much bigger than a p@h one! And looks like it will last, how much has it cost you? What size is it? Don't be too long posting pics of it finished :D

Aaaaaand it's finished!!!!George is out enjoying the sun in it, slightly surrounded by the cars but he's used to them now haha

Ended up meshing the outside as my dad didn't want to make more work for himself and it would be considerably more difficult.....not my choice but hey ho! I couldn't have done it without him!

Decided not to mesh the bottom YET because he will only be in it when I am home so i can make sure he doesn't dig and then if I want to put it on the patio, he won't get caught in the mesh.

So here it is.......I'm so proud because I've never made anything before!its not perfect but I love it :) it's 6ft by 3ft :) he's got a hidey house that is behind the wooden end too that you can't see on the picture. Decided to do one end wooden to give his a bit of protection from the elements if it's windy :)

image.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great :thumb: just be careful to keep an eye on him at all times if it is on grass, they can dig out in a very surprisingly short time :shock:

Looks great :thumb: just be careful to keep an eye on him at all times if it is on grass, they can dig out in a very surprisingly short time :shock:

Thanks I will :)

He doesn't know what to do first!binky or eat haha

When he runs up to the fence to sniff a cat they run away haha

Back