• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Barney's behaviour is suddenly weird... Could use some advice pls

Lucy-Lou

Mama Doe
He's so naughty all of a sudden :? After stealing cat food yesterday and running round nipping everyone, Barney has trashed the whole room overnight :evil: He's weed in his bed and on Priscilla's bed and on the floor, left poos everywhere and thrown hay about.

He's usually perfect with his litter training and hardly ever leaves a stray poo, and never wees anywhere except his tray. Priss has walked through his wee puddles and now has wet feet, I've had to wipe them off and she's really not happy :(

I feel stuffed full of cold today and didn't really want to spend my day picking up poos! Grr

Last edited:
His poos look normal but he did eat cat food and digestive biscuit yesterday, so not sure if it upset his tummy a bit. He has only left a few poos about today and (touch wood) has not weed anywhere - I've been and bought posh oat hay to put in his tray and encourage him to use it!

My other though was that as Priscilla 'claimed' the bigger bed, he thought he would mark his territory anywhere and everywhere to remind her who's the dominant one... not sure if bunnies' thought process is that deep but it did cross my mind.

I think I might be worrying too much.. I'm really confused :? I could use some help to put my mind at rest.

Barney's still pooing all over and leaving small wees on the carpet - he has never done this before, even when bonding or when moving into another room. Even before he was neutered he used his tray impeccably.

His poos look normal but earlier he sat still on the rug and squatted, and a string of pearls came out, then loads of normal poos! I've since given both buns a brush so I'm hoping he's just been 'off' from having too much hair in his system/eating weird foods.

He's also more sneezy and snotty than usual - the vet said if this happens again he'd need to go back onto a course of Baytril for a while to keep it under control. I'm unsure of whether to take him to the vets though as I don't want to stress him out if he's already feeling stressed, and I'm wondering if I'm overly worried and it's not necessary. I'm not sure if the toilet issues and sneezing/snottiness could be connected?

Aside from this he seems happy enough, still eating his hay and drinking water. I'm perplexed :(

I hope I don't sound like a rubbish caregiver now - I do groom them regularly, he just seems to be going through a moult right now. And I don't feed them junk food (or cat food) but he is getting adept at stealing things and I am having to be more and more careful!

I would take him along to the vet and get something for his sneezing. The longer it's left, the worse it will get. Ask the vet to check him over when you are there, just to make sure everything else is ok.

Hope he is doing better soon.

Thanks for replying.

I've taken him to the vets this afternoon, she's going to try him on a different medication (I think it was doxycycline?) but she did say that listening to him wheezing and sneezing, it sounds like it's coming from his throat now and not just his nose :(

She thinks that his pooing and weeing everywhere is because he's stressed from the sneezing etc. but he's always been sneezy and he's never stopped using his tray before. Vet is very experienced with rabbits though so I guess she knows best.

Anyone's buns been on this med before? Am I right thinking it's an antibiotic?

Back