• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a rabbit cope with stairs?

andy5898

Warren Scout
I have been looking at buying this many stair case for my bunny, so he can get up to the shelves in his shed I just wondered do they look ok for a bunny to cope with? He was very sad as his partner Maisie died last week at the minute he is being bonded again as he was so depressed (so was I but I have to learn to cope). So I am doing out his shed for when he arrives home and thought these seemed a good alternative to a ramp.

staira.jpg

What do others think, I just think by the time I build something I will have run out of time yet again!

They will be fine with stairs yes :wave:

Ikea trofast units are also popular as a way for bunnies to reach shelves
trofast-storage-combination__41587_PE136067_S4.JPG

Do the stairs need to be wide enough so they can sit on them or will they just literally use them to hop to where there going do you think?

I have a tripod bunny who regularly goes upstairs using the house stairs - so it is really no problem for them. I think steps (or hopping points - doesn't have to be 'proper' steps) are a better option than ramps for rabbits in a lot of situations.

As others have said, none of my bunnies have ever had any issues with stairs. Hershel runs up and down them in a blink of an eye when he's coming in for free time.

Another idea would be to use runaround style pipe as a ramp, as it has the corrugated ridges inside and can be put at almost any angle. George and Harry has a steep angle from their run to hutch and they manage with no problems.

Brilliant thank you. Just Maisie and Arran were no good on ramps and just jumped but I don't want Arran to jump so much as he hurt his paw this way he should be fine as he has step ups going forward. Ta.

I have two bunnies who can do up and down stairs without any problems, and two others who can do upstairs fine but flatly refuse to go down them!

Doughnut can't go down stairs. Two years ago she went half way up and nearly fell down trying to get down. I had to get her carrier. She jumped in and has never been up since.

I also bought her a three storey castle. She jumped up to the top then scared to go down. Had to rescue her again. Its now a bungalow as she loves jumping up but im not always there to get her down.

Benji totally refuses to go up the stairs in the house, i wuold love him to come upstairs but he just sits at the bottom :lol:

I have been looking at buying this many stair case for my bunny, so he can get up to the shelves in his shed I just wondered do they look ok for a bunny to cope with? He was very sad as his partner Maisie died last week at the minute he is being bonded again as he was so depressed (so was I but I have to learn to cope). So I am doing out his shed for when he arrives home and thought these seemed a good alternative to a ramp.

staira.jpg

What do others think, I just think by the time I build something I will have run out of time yet again!

Aw these stairs look cute! I didn't realise they made mini staircases for animals ..

My 1kg Nethie has no trouble with any amount of stairs - up and down. Looks like he's just going to come tumbling down, but he never does :lol:

Floki will fly up the stairs and hop easliy back down... I would say they wouldn't be a problem.

Back