• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sexing adult rabbits

luna

Mama Doe
Would there be a huge amount of difference between a neutered male and a female rabbit ? I mean ... Would it be obvious ? I know there would be no testicles but would the willy pop out significantly when pressure is applied ?

I ask because I enquired about a 3 year old "male" rabbit today and asked was he neutered and the lady says that she has never really noticed his boy bits so she thinks the previous owner may have had him neutered.she also says he doesn't spray. So I'm kind of wondering could this bun be female and no one has ever really checked.

How absolutely brilliant would it be if he was a neutered boy ... I would be able to start intros in the next week but how many people neglect to mention that their rabbit is neutered when rehoming. Oh I don't know what to do. I can't end up with the wrong sex again. It has to be a male.

So is it easy to tell the difference if there are no testicles as to whether he is a fixed boy or a girl? Thanks :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks :) the lady checked and he has two empty sacks so it looks like he is neutered?!

Her friend who is a vet nurse is calling out tomorrow to have a look for her. His name is peter and he is a white lop :) I'm kind of excited !!!

Thanks :) the lady checked and he has two empty sacks so it looks like he is neutered?!

Her friend who is a vet nurse is calling out tomorrow to have a look for her. His name is peter and he is a white lop :) I'm kind of excited !!!

Eeek good luck :D Peter and Rosie :)

Rename him Jim - Rosie and Jim :love:

Mmmm....boys often suck their testicles back up again when people look at them, and the sacks tend to shrivel up and disappear once they have been neutered, which would make me think that he isn't neutered I'm afraid and is just very good at hiding his bits away whenever anyone goes to look! In all honesty, unless someone can prove to you for certain that a bun is neutered, I would assume that they are not until proved otherwise. Is your other bunny neutered?

Last edited:
Mmmm....boys often suck their testicles back up again when people look at them, and the sacks tend to shrivel up and disappear once they have been neutered, which would make me think that he isn't neutered I'm afraid and is just very good at hiding his bits away whenever anyone goes to look! In all honesty, unless someone can prove to you for certain that a bun is neutered, I would assume that they are not until proved otherwise. Is your other bunny neutered?

Thanks for your insight. It makes perfect sense ok. The lady has a friend who is a vet nurse coming to check tomorrow after work. Will she be able to tell if he is just sucking in his testicles ? Or would only a very rabbit savvy person know this ?

His owner said he is very placid, doesn't spray and uses a corner of the cage for toileting. He sounds "neutered" from his behaviour. I'm really interested to hear what the nurse thinks !!!

Oh and I forgot to say that Rosie is indeed spayed :)

At least if Rosie is spayed you aren't risking bit problems if you guess wrong :)

If they suck them up it's hard to tell, but if your friends a vet nurse she might be able to feel them anyway.

At least if Rosie is spayed you aren't risking bit problems if you guess wrong :)

If they suck them up it's hard to tell, but if your friends a vet nurse she might be able to feel them anyway.

I'm less hopeful now about him being neutered. There is rescue in co limerick that has neutered rabbits so I will get in touch with them too. Only problem is its 3 hours away!!!

Thanks for your insight. It makes perfect sense ok. The lady has a friend who is a vet nurse coming to check tomorrow after work. Will she be able to tell if he is just sucking in his testicles ? Or would only a very rabbit savvy person know this ?

His owner said he is very placid, doesn't spray and uses a corner of the cage for toileting. He sounds "neutered" from his behaviour. I'm really interested to hear what the nurse thinks !!!

Oh and I forgot to say that Rosie is indeed spayed :)

I look after my friends unneutered buck every year when they go on holiday, he is the same. Very placid, no spraying and uses the tiniest area of the hutch for the toilet, in fact he's more litter trained than any other rabbit I've had :lol:

I look after my friends unneutered buck every year when they go on holiday, he is the same. Very placid, no spraying and uses the tiniest area of the hutch for the toilet, in fact he's more litter trained than any other rabbit I've had :lol:

Wow what a well behaved boy. All my past bucks have turned into spraying destructive nightmares at 12 weeks !!! Lol :)

I do hope that he does turn out to be neutered!

We will need pics of him (or links to the rescue when you and Rosie have chosen one, mabe just you if its 3 hours away).

Ludo wasn't neutered until he was about 1 year old and he was the same. Never did a poo out of place.

Harry my previous boy wasn't neutered for health reasons and he never sprayed either, so I don't think it's a way of telling.

Back