• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue bunnies background stories

Zoobec

Staff member
I just read Bobbies story on Jane's thread, and I find it so interesting to read about bunnies background.

Dandy and Beano (my agouti and agouti/white) boys were part of a litter of 5 who were dumped in a box at a motorway services as babies. How anyone can do that to an animal I do not know :cry: my boys were the last ones of the 5 in rescue (Macclesfield rspca) https://www.facebook.com/rspcamacclesfield/timeline or http://www.rspca-macclesfield.org.uk/others.html They are manic, wild, comical, nervy bunnies and I fell in love with them as soon as I saw their pictures and read about them. They are a bit calmer now, I've had them nearly 18 months, they come running to me one, instead of away, they tolerate stroking at pellet time. They came with their names, and they suited them brilliantly, being so comical. I love them dearly, and their binkies are incredible. They are a bit mad though, they like running up the outside of the runaround tunnel like a ramp and to get on top of the single hutch that is in their aviary style run :shock: Dandy climbs the sides of the run, he climbed about 3ft up the vertical weldmesh once :shock: before flicking off and binkying down the run :lol:

Boots was part of a rescue of 3 rabbits who were dumped at meadowhall :shock::cry: there was Dora, Boots and Diego. They were taken in by BARC ( https://www.facebook.com/BARCrescue or http://barnsleyanimalrescue.org.uk/re-home-a-rabbit/ I fell in love with Boots after volunteering at the open day, I really wanted a cuddle bun after looking after a friends cuddly bunny when they went on holiday, and I asked Angie if there were any cuddle buns who weren't already reserved. She said there is Boots, I picked him up and immediately fell in love with him :love: I can't believe I've only had him just over 2 weeks, he's settled in so well :love: he started off as being an outdoor bunny but he loves coming inside, and we all love having him in the house, so we have decided he will be coming indoors permanently once we have bunny proofed a room properly :love: he is so cuddly, as soon as you sit down he comes running over and leaps on to the settee to sit on your knee or snuggle next to you. He is so funny, I gave him some readigrass to try yesterday, and he loved it so much, he hoovered it down, and then proceeded to throw his bowl about as if to say, oy, this is empty, refill it at once :lol:

Eta: Please add your rescue bunnies background stories :love:

Last edited:
Awww loved reading that! :love:

All your buns are so lucky to have found a home with you!

Unfortunately, i dont know much about my two. I do know that they werent originally together. Marshall (who was called "Dippy") was with another female called "Apple",...

and Sky (Who was called Mabel") was with her three sisters...(Sky is the bottom right)

Pics from: http://www.nannaanimalrescue.co.uk/Pages/RABBITSFORREHOMING.aspxhttp://www.nannaanimalrescue.co.uk/Pages/RABBITSFORREHOMING.aspx

I know that had both been in the rescue since January 2014 and they estimated they were both about a year old. Not sure at what point they came together, but they were together when i saw them that fateful day!

They are the most lovely rabbits and i couldnt be happier with them in my life!!!

Aww :love: good idea to put links in for a bit of a rescue plug too, I've never heard of NANNA will edit mine to include websites :thumb:

It's so sweet reading these bunnies' stories :love:

I'd love to know what Priscilla's background is, I know she came into the RSPCA as a case animal who was taken by their inspectors (either a cruelty case or neglect, I'm not sure.) I'm sure it would explain why she is so stroppy, and why she's so food aggressive and tries to hide her pellets around the room rather than just eating them :?

Barney was in P@H adoption at 5 months old when I got him, and had apparently had spent his whole life being passed round different rescue centres :( He was due to go to another centre the next day as there had been no interest in him at our local store, so I snapped him up! :D

My outdoor pair were from a backyard breeder :evil: She wanted rid of the babies as their ears were damaged and she was stopping breeding the mum and dad.

Butter-Bean was from BARC. He was dumped at a vets I think with another bunny. I think Angie said the person who dumped them at the vets said they weren't hers she'd just found them but they thought they were hers really because when he was handed in all his fur was cut short because it had been matted and they thought she wouldn't have done that if she'd just found him like she said (I think the person who handed him in said she'd cut his fur). I think Angie said he was thin and neglected too he'd put weight on by the time I got him. At the beginning when he came to us he was very food oriented (I mean Bumble loves food it wasn't like loving food it was more than that) so I guess it was something to do with his previous home. After a while he settled down at food time (although still loves his food of course!)

Aw this such a good thread. :love:

I think most people know the origins of my rescues. :lol: I'll share anyway.

Xena was found dumped on a tip in Saltburn with a couple of other buns and about 15 piggies. She was underweight, covered in cuts and scabs, had conjunctivitis and was a mess. Somebody brought them in to the vets where RampantRabbits worked at the time and she took Xena home to care for her. She was spayed but was found to be pregnant, so unfortunately the babies had to be taken out of her. :cry: Very sad but probably for the best.
I had just lost Ellie, my beautiful giant lop X and Fiver was not coping well. A friend of mine told me that there was a magpie harly up for rehoming in my area and so I went to visit her and fell in love immediately. :love:

Shadowfax was a stray. A friend of Steph182 had spotted her on the back field near me and asked if we could help to catch her. She was living in a copse of trees near to some houses and big field with a beck in it. She was being chased by dogs every day and only managed to survive because she was so fast and had a "bolt hole" under somebody's garden fence. We spent a good 2-3 days camped out waiting for her to emerge. She was quite tame but knew fine well to keep just out of reach of us. :roll: It took us a while but we finally managed to corner her and capture her. Her owners had let her out repeatedly and made it clear to the neighbours who had previously returned her that they no longer wanted her. :cry: Just as well since the hutch they had was about 3ft. Originally Steph's friend was going to take her until we found rescue space but I soon realised they didn't have an appropriate place to keep her so I offered to "foster" her. Well..as you all know that failed. :lol: She's now bonded with Fiver and Xena. :love:

Aw this such a good thread. :love:

I think most people know the origins of my rescues. :lol: I'll share anyway.

Xena was found dumped on a tip in Saltburn with a couple of other buns and about 15 piggies. She was underweight, covered in cuts and scabs, had conjunctivitis and was a mess. Somebody brought them in to the vets where RampantRabbits worked at the time and she took Xena home to care for her. She was spayed but was found to be pregnant, so unfortunately the babies had to be taken out of her. :cry: Very sad but probably for the best.
I had just lost Ellie, my beautiful giant lop X and Fiver was not coping well. A friend of mine told me that there was a magpie harly up for rehoming in my area and so I went to visit her and fell in love immediately. :love:

Shadowfax was a stray. A friend of Steph182 had spotted her on the back field near me and asked if we could help to catch her. She was living in a copse of trees near to some houses and big field with a beck in it. She was being chased by dogs every day and only managed to survive because she was so fast and had a "bolt hole" under somebody's garden fence. We spent a good 2-3 days camped out waiting for her to emerge. She was quite tame but knew fine well to keep just out of reach of us. :roll: It took us a while but we finally managed to corner her and capture her. Her owners had let her out repeatedly and made it clear to the neighbours who had previously returned her that they no longer wanted her. :cry: Just as well since the hutch they had was about 3ft. Originally Steph's friend was going to take her until we found rescue space but I soon realised they didn't have an appropriate place to keep her so I offered to "foster" her. Well..as you all know that failed. :lol: She's now bonded with Fiver and Xena. :love:

Loving all the stories :love: I knew how you came about Shadowfax but I didn't know Xena's story, was before my time on RU maybe?

Blackavar is not technically a rescue bunny as he wasn't from a rescue, but I consider him one.

I got him last September from a BYB as his partner had just died & so they had no further use for him. He was two years old & had been a stud bunny until he came to me. He was depressed & went into stasis when he first came home, but we got him through it. I then got him neutered & vaccinated & removed his BRC ring, got him eating hay & persuaded him pellets were yummier than museli.
equ6asut.jpg

I was going to bond him with Slipper, but one day in march, I let my 4 boys out in the kitchen together & they immediately bonded themselves
8uzu3equ.jpg

They moved into my second bedroom & were very happy together until tragedy struck on 29th April when Badger suddenly died I the night :cry:
e2u8uve6.jpg

So we were down to a trio
a4usadar.jpg

But a week or so later, Blueberry & Blackavar fell out & Slipper eventually sided with Blueberry so poor Blackavar was once again on his own
hygu7e5a.jpg

Then he suffered with dental problems in early July and recovered nicely after a week of investigation & a dental the following week.
sudu7e7a.jpg

We've been monitoring him ever since & he has to go back to the vets for a dental checkup on Thursday which is good timing as I think they're bothering him again :(
byde3adu.jpg

I don't want to shout too soon in case it doesn't work out but I met a lovely little girl bunny at barc open day who I have reserved & when she has recovered from her spay, Blackavar will go to meet her & hopefully they will fall in love & live happily ever after as he really deserves it. He's a real snuggle bun, loves kisses & cuddles & affection & deserves a happy ending :love:

Blackavar is not technically a rescue bunny as he wasn't from a rescue, but I consider him one.

I got him last September from a BYB as his partner had just died & so they had no further use for him. He was two years old & had been a stud bunny until he came to me. He was depressed & went into stasis when he first came home, but we got him through it. I then got him neutered & vaccinated & removed his BRC ring, got him eating hay & persuaded him pellets were yummier than museli.
equ6asut.jpg

I was going to bond him with Slipper, but one day in march, I let my 4 boys out in the kitchen together & they immediately bonded themselves
8uzu3equ.jpg

They moved into my second bedroom & were very happy together until tragedy struck on 29th April when Badger suddenly died I the night :cry:
e2u8uve6.jpg

So we were down to a trio
a4usadar.jpg

But a week or so later, Blueberry & Blackavar fell out & Slipper eventually sided with Blueberry so poor Blackavar was once again on his own
hygu7e5a.jpg

Then he suffered with dental problems in early July and recovered nicely after a week of investigation & a dental the following week.
sudu7e7a.jpg

We've been monitoring him ever since & he has to go back to the vets for a dental checkup on Thursday which is good timing as I think they're bothering him again :(
byde3adu.jpg

I don't want to shout too soon in case it doesn't work out but I met a lovely little girl bunny at barc open day who I have reserved & when she has recovered from her spay, Blackavar will go to meet her & hopefully they will fall in love & live happily ever after as he really deserves it. He's a real snuggle bun, loves kisses & cuddles & affection & deserves a happy ending :love:

That was all such a touching story! !! The poor thing has been through a lot!! I really hope it all works out with the new lady! X

I remember when you got Blackavar (still think that name is brilliant!) I thought it was awful what he had been through. Fingers crossed his teethies aren't going to be too much of a bother for him. You will certainly have to let us know what happens with the barc bunny. :love: He certainly deserves a happy ending. :)

Anybody who was on RU in 2008 might know Tinkerbell's story, those newer probably won't.

Tink was part of a large rescue the the RSPCA Walsall undertook. They originally took 5 rabbits from a home where there had been several accidental litters and they were living in squallor. Tink was still living with her mother and father in a 4ft hutch along with 2 siblings at approximately 12 - 14 weeks of age when she was removed from there.

Also rescued were Tink's littermates Tilly (now Phoebe, belonging to 'Miss Minnie') and Elliot (who went to live with 'Puddle and Elliot' but is sadly no longer with us. There were two sister from an older litter Puddle (as above) and Smudge adopted by X-vic-X, who fostered her for RSPCA Walsall.

As these things go when people don't separate male and female rabbits :evil: whilst in foster care Tink produced 2 babies, Tilly produced 3 and Puddle 5. Sadly 2 of Tilly's didn't make it past 5 weeks old and at the age of 20 months, the third, the lovely Ivy (belonging to Chipmunk-K) passed away. Ivy (black butterfly lop) is features on a lot of RU car stickers and such like.

So, I never normally go outside a 20 mile radius, 30 if I'm really pushed but I completely and utterly fell for Tinkerbell and her heartbreaking story. She arrived at foster care in a sorry state, covered in bite marks, thin, scared of humans and at the age of about 16 - 18 weeks produced two babies and was such a good mother to them :love::love: As well as her being such a cutie, the fact that she had such capacity to raise her babes despite the awful life she had had so far led me to drive the 150 miles or so to collect her. :love::love: She's gone from boxy and scared to tolerating me quite nicely. I can stoke her but she lets me know that she's tolerating me but not actually enjoying it.

Various other rescue stories amongst my bunnies but Tink's is the most heart wrenching.

Binky and his brother Shadow are proper RU rescue bunnies as they were on ebay and there were 3 threads running in an attempt to get them out of their situation. The listing said, "If they are not out by Friday they are going in the pot", so we had to get them out of there.

I remember when you got Blackavar (still think that name is brilliant!) I thought it was awful what he had been through. Fingers crossed his teethies aren't going to be too much of a bother for him. You will certainly have to let us know what happens with the barc bunny. :love: He certainly deserves a happy ending. :)

Thank you :love: he's my favourite character in Watership Down & I always said if I had a black rabbit, he'd be called Blackavar :love:

She's a 4 month old wildie x and was only spayed on Wednesday so it'll be a few weeks before they can meet, but she's lovely. A bit scared & nervous, but I think Blackavar needs a quiet girl rather than one over confident as I think he's been through enough & would like this bond to stick especially if he's going to suffer dental issues on a semi regular issues, a wifey would be a comfort

I've had 5 rescue bunnies so far.
My first, coco, I got from the RSPCA as a wifey for my boy Javier (who I got from p@h as a baby before I knew any better). She was found living rough in a garden with a couple of other rabbits.
Then I found Little Miss as a stray on the side of a dual carriageway. She was so thin the vet thought she had most probably been fending for herself a good few weeks. I'll never forget how nervous I was when I approached her to try to catch her, I was so frightened she would dart off into the road, but she didn't, she just let me pick her up and she sat on the back seat of the car the short journey home, I think she was just too exhausted to run away. I set her up in a spare hutch, gave her hay, pellets and water, and just left her half an hour to settle. When I went back she had drank almost the whole bottle of water she was so thirsty, poor thing.
I then adopted Pippin from the RSPCA as a husbun for Little Miss. He was taken in with his siblings, not sure what the story was really, but he had been in the RSPCA for 18 months!
Sadly Coco went to the bridge just over a year ago, so I adopted Opal as a new girly for Javier. She is a very pretty Californian seal point and was being used for breeding.
My latest 'rescue', no. 5, is Mavis, an English giant. I took her in as her last owner just didn't have the time to look after her and she was spending almost her whole day everyday in a hutch by herself. Very little exercise time or interaction. I wasn't looking to have 5 buns but I just couldn't leave her in that situation. She now lives in half the summerhouse, with an attached aviary run almost 5 meters by 2 meters and she loves it. I've had her 3 months almost and I think she has lost enough weight now so she can be spayed. My plan is to bond her with one of my pairs.... Or adopt rescue bunny no. 6!
Here is Javier and Opal
8298d6818efadbd21b701ba9cb5e0380_zpsc88b5be6.jpg

Here are Pippin and Little Miss
8765886336ca43bd13339f6574b8d4a9_zps4ea8f04a.jpg

And here is Mavis
820fb81fd81ae869fc16c5a4c8a6ee19_zpsc691943c.jpg

Last edited:
Back