• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - Ideas for keeping bunnies separated until neutered

loubie25

New Kit
I am in desperate need of some ideas on how to keep my bunnies separated until neutered. They will be outside and I will only have one hutch. I have contacted the vets and they will be able to neuter them at 4 months, provided they are big enough. We will have bunnies in 3 weeks time and they will be 11 - 12 weeks then, so we are only looking at separating for 4 - 6 weeks.

I just don't have any idea on how to keep them happy and separate with one hutch. I was thinking of buying a cheap small one for one to go in, and then be let out to run whilst the other one is kept in, but that seems cruel.

Please help with some ideas. What did you do? :(

I ended up with 2 set ups :roll: mine were house bunnies though so I had a puppy pen in the living room for Loki and a puppy pen in the bedroom for Thor. They each had free range time in 'their' room and the hall although obviously not together!

Just a warning, after they are neutered they will still need to be kept separate for several weeks to allow hormones to get out of their systems and then you will have to bond them in a neutral space as if they had never met before. Otherwise they will likely fight and hurt each other!

I think you might have to buy two set ups - do they have to live outdoors? Could you have them indoors in seperate rooms until you can put them together and have them as indoor rabbits?

Back