• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Alfie / Ear problems :(

JemimaH

Warren Veteran
:( Just been to pick him up and saw the x-rays, it turns out he's got an infection in both ears and has perforated one of his ear drum membranes. It's very very inflamed and tender, to the point where it bleeds when you touch it with the end of the 'scope. Apparently the vet was able to get loads and loads of pus out from quite a way down.

How he did not go into stasis or show ANY signs of pain, I do not know! It must have been agony for him :( He's now on 1ml of Meloxidyl and he is going to love that, but I feel so bad only giving him 0.3 up until now! He literally did not show any signs of pain at all, only irritation, and had we not have done these x rays I would never have known something was so wrong.

This is also very very expensive - 6 weeks into his new policy and the grand cost is £680.26 already :shock: That's just one day! Majorly stressing about what'll happen if we run out of the money/he needs surgery or more expensive treatment :(

My poor little fuzz. We've all agreed he is officially an unlucky rabbit :lol:

Oh poor little Alfie, I had an awful ear infection years ago, to the point that my ear drum ruptured, I can still remember the pain ! Bless his little bunny heart for bearing up so well :love: I hope the meds kick in real quick and he's back to his normal happy self soon. Hugs to you both :love:

Oh poor little Alfie, I had an awful ear infection years ago, to the point that my ear drum ruptured, I can still remember the pain ! Bless his little bunny heart for bearing up so well :love: I hope the meds kick in real quick and he's back to his normal happy self soon. Hugs to you both :love:

I am just gobsmacked at the fact he showed no symptoms whatsoever! No stasis, no teeth grinding, nothing. Only the usual scratching and head shaking!

He's pretty much back to normal now - eating, pooing and running around quite alert. He has, however gone a bit wonky now :lol: Bless him. Makes him extra cute :love:

I am just gobsmacked at the fact he showed no symptoms whatsoever! No stasis, no teeth grinding, nothing. Only the usual scratching and head shaking!

He's pretty much back to normal now - eating, pooing and running around quite alert. He has, however gone a bit wonky now :lol: Bless him. Makes him extra cute :love:

Do keep a close eye on him, if you notice any odd flicking of his eyes, if the 'wonkiness' worsens and/or if he starts to have episodes of rolling you need to contact the Vet immediately.

Sending more vibes for him xx

Do keep a close eye on him, if you notice any odd flicking of his eyes, if the 'wonkiness' worsens and/or if he starts to have episodes of rolling you need to contact the Vet immediately.

Sending more vibes for him xx

Yeah, he had E.C when he was a baby so I'm familiar with the symptoms, unfortunately! His head tilt isn't major - at a 45 degree angle sort of thing - and is only when he's sat or lying down. He's got no problems with his balance either, so I'm not worried :) Hopefully it won't get worse before it's time to go back to the vets, as I don't need any more expense :roll:

Thank you, you've been a great help xx

Ask your vet about hydrogen peroxide. My bunny had respiratory problems along with a mild ear infection when we brought him home. He was obviously on antibiotics, but when he recovered, my vet recomended cleaning his ears every week with rose water & then drop a tiny amount of hydrogen peroxide inside. It should kill the bacterias & you can also monitor if there are any by checking if it frizzes.:)

Fuzz seems to be doing a lot better today - have only seen one head-shake and that was when he got in the way of me dropping fresh hay into his pen :roll::lol:. No ear scratching whatsoever :D

He hates his medicine though, it's even put him off taking the Metacam himself :(

I am very glad that Alfie seems to e doing better. It's so frustrating when they won't take their medicine :( but we always find a way ;)

Back