• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is he too old?

nixie1990

New Kit
So, I got a rabbit when he was 6 months old. That was February 3 years ago. Hes lived in a hutch in my room ever since. I let him out when Im home on an evening and he runs around my room.

Now, Ive done quite a lot of reading lately and realise they are happy with a companion and I also would like to give him a bigger space.
Ive seen lots of rabbits living in sheds with a run attached and this is what Im planning on doing now.

I think though, that it will need to be a winter project, as moving him outside just in time for winter, doesn't sound like a good plan to me. So for spring I would like his new home ready

Now, Im wondering is 4 years old, as he will be by then, too old to neuter and introduce a new friend? Has he been alone too long?

Well done for always looking to improve his life.

Hope, definitely not too old. 4 is only just into middle aged.

What you could do would be to get him neutered ASAP, and whilst he is recovering, maybe make some adjustments to his space inside to increase it? Such as bunny proofing the entire room, or a part of the room and allowing him access to that all the time?

Then potentially you could look to adopt a friend for him and get them bonded.

Then, come about May (when the temperatures outside are comparable to those inside) you can have your project outside finished and move them outside, if that is what you wish to do.

That means you are right on improving his life straight away, and it will be a gradual process, and that's fine :)

Excellent advice above - some of my bunnies have lived to be over ten so definitely not too old :thumb:

That's great that you want to improve things for him :thumb: I agree with everything already said, particularly about getting him neutered straight away as then you will have maximum time for his hormones to settle before introducing him to a new bun. Good luck!

Given his age, and him not having had a friend in the past, what would be the best match for him do you think?

Male/female
Adult/baby

or is that unimportant, is it just they either like or don't like each other?

So, I got a rabbit when he was 6 months old. That was February 3 years ago. Hes lived in a hutch in my room ever since. I let him out when Im home on an evening and he runs around my room.

Now, Ive done quite a lot of reading lately and realise they are happy with a companion and I also would like to give him a bigger space.
Ive seen lots of rabbits living in sheds with a run attached and this is what Im planning on doing now.

I think though, that it will need to be a winter project, as moving him outside just in time for winter, doesn't sound like a good plan to me. So for spring I would like his new home ready

Now, Im wondering is 4 years old, as he will be by then, too old to neuter and introduce a new friend? Has he been alone too long?

In July this year I adopted a friend for my ten year old rabbit. She is two years old. Today he turned 11 and and they both celebrated (There are photos in the photos and stories section). So I would say it is never ever too old. My rabbit was depressed because his similarly aged friends had cancer and had to be put to sleep. He has always had a companion so we knew for his mental health, a friend would be beneficial. Now he is young again and outgoing. He has become her shadow and lives life to the full once more. It is never ever too late. 4 is quite young, not even middle aged. So I think your bunny will love a friend and take to one naturally. We all need a companion don't we? Bunnies are no different.

Given his age, and him not having had a friend in the past, what would be the best match for him do you think?

Male/female
Adult/baby

Age is irrelevant really but an nice even temperament or a submissive temperament would be ideal. Also both bunnies would need to be neutered as raging hormones will often ruin a relationship and things can descend into violent fights. usually the male to female ratio is best but same sex couples can work equally well so long as both rabbits are neutered.

Male/female
Adult/baby

Your best bet is to go to a reputable rabbit rescue, once he has recovered from his neuter and his hormones settled down and then let him choose his own friend- that gives the best chance of success. Typically, a spayed female rabbit would be best, but some bunnies have other ideas. I wouldn't ever advocate an unspayed/neutered bunny though.

You'd be best going to a rescue that offers rabbit bonding, and they can perhaps advise you of a different pairing if the rabbit you want doesn't pair well with your boy. :)

Back