PDA

View Full Version : To bond or not to bond?

weeble
09-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Sincs Dutchie died I have had a two and a three, the plan has always been when another one goes to have a group of 4 in the shed but I am wondering whether to do it early and make it a 5. Im just not sure if the shed is big enough for 5?

Current set up - Albert and Evie have a 5 x 7 kennel plus 2-6 hours free range time most days

Bella Chloe and Fudge have a 6x4 shed with 6x6 run attached and 2 hours free range time 1-2 times a week.

If I were to successfully bond them into a 5 they could all live in the shed and free range for a couple of hours most days. My concerns are is the shed/run combo big enough for 5? Im not sure.

I know normally you would say do I have back up in case I have a fall out so I hoping that even if there is a fall out I still end up with a 3 and a 2 of some combination that could go back into the current set up - thoughts please

Zoobec
10-08-2014, 07:47 AM
That is a very difficult question! Bumping up for other peoples ideas too, but I don't think I would attempt it, I'm not sure but I think the hierarchy would be very complex :shock: but having said all that, I'm no expert at all, I've only done one bond :oops: which was my 2 pairs (mm ) brothers, and ( ff ) sisters, into my quad.

I'd say go with your gut instinct, you know your bunnies and if you think it could work it might be worth a shot. When I bonded my quad I decided I'd try it as instead of having a hutch/run each they would all share a shed and huge run, so I did it for them, and had decided that I would try it and pull the plug quickly if there was any sign of aggression to try to maintain the original bonds. My 4 are all very similar characters, all quite nervy, no aggressive/dominant traits etc which is why I kind of thought it could work :thumb:

weeble
10-08-2014, 12:48 PM
My gut doesnt know :shock: I think there would be issues between Bella and Evie :?

Zoobec
10-08-2014, 12:58 PM
:lol: well I thought there would be issues between Dandy (more confident of boy pair) and Ginger ( more confident of girl pair) and there was, but only a bit of chasing and mounting but I know I was very lucky :shock: I would have thought that Ginger would be overall boss as she's bigger and more confident but it's definitely Dandy :love: as I said though none of mine had aggressive/dominant traits though and if Bella and Evie (or any of the others) are particularly dominant or aggressive then I think I wouldn't try it.

tulsi
10-08-2014, 01:06 PM
When I tried for a group of six (from two pairs and a fallen out pair) I thought that one of the pairs may not bond with the other four. I was right. I tried it though and soon realised that Mottle and Peaches were happiest on their own.

I would be tempted to give it a go and be prepared to quickly remove any rabbit/s that it wasnt working for.

I would love to have all eight of mine bonded but feel that Mottle and Peaches are happy as a pair and that the quad may not take kindly to the belgian hare mother and son couple ...

GOOD LUCK.

weeble
10-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Do you think the shed run combo is big enough for 5 though if it did work?

tulsi
10-08-2014, 10:09 PM
I am not very good at visualising sizes. My quad have a 10 x 6 shed with a 10 x 6 run and they mostly stay in the shed part.

Different levels would make more floor space for them.

Perhaps you could expand at a later date?