• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's best for Penfold?

TD86

Alpha Buck
As much as it hurts me to be looking at other buns right now so soon after the loss of DM, Penfold needs a friend. She's approximately six years old and unspayed and I can't work out what's best for her :( I thought about getting her another female friend as her and DM were so close, but then they grew up together so I don't know if she would get on too well with another female :?

I'm thinking maybe a spayed male would be good for her as she would then easily be the dominant one and hopefully they would fall in love as he would most likely do what she told him to do, but then I worry she'd get bored if they were too obliging.

Has anyone got any advice? I'm looking here http://www.rspca-medway.co.uk/rabbits.htm at the moment and am feeling heartbroken for Sasha as she's been there so long and I think they could get on, but then I'm also looking at Scooter or Roger thinking they might be good too?

I'm not in a good place to make decisions at the moment as me and OH have been crying all week when we've returned from work - I need help :cry:

In all honesty I think the least likely option to work would be another Female, spayed or not.

Is there a reason why Penfold is not spayed ? It is something that could still be considered given the very high risk of Uterine Cancer in entire Does

Personally I would speak with the Vet about this before taking on another Rabbit.

If spaying is not something you want to consider then I think trying to find an older neutered Buck as a companion may be your best option. But as PF is entire there may very well still be hormonal issues that make bonding more challenging. Also, if the new companion mounts her alot during the initial meetings this could trigger pseudo-pregnancies. Rabbits are induced ovulators, they ovulate in response to the sexual behaviour of another Rabbit. If she starts having pseudo-pregnancies this is likely to add to bonding troubles as she would become aggressive to the other Rabbit and in turn the other Rabbit may fight back.

If PF does remain entire and you do adopt a Buck as a companion remember that if the Buck has only recently been neutered he could remain fertile for at least 6 weeks AFTER surgery.

Last edited:
i agree with jane that the first step would be to have Penfold spayed, if there is not a particular reason why she isn't. A neutered male would then the the best choice.

I'm sorry you are struggling after the loss of Dangermouse :cry: it's completely understandable and you mustn't rush into anything you're not ready for xx

I also agree with Jane.

It must be so hard to be thinking about this whilst you are at the early grieving stage for Dangermouse. You obviously loved her very much.

I hope you find a suitable friend for Penfold and that the spay (if you choose to/are able to have it done) goes well.

In all honesty I think the least likely option to work would be another Female, spayed or not.

Is there a reason why Penfold is not spayed ? It is something that could still be considered given the very high risk of Uterine Cancer in entire Does

Personally I would speak with the Vet about this before taking on another Rabbit.

If spaying is not something you want to consider then I think trying to find an older neutered Buck as a companion may be your best option. But as PF is entire there may very well still be hormonal issues that make bonding more challenging. Also, if the new companion mounts her alot during the initial meetings this could trigger pseudo-pregnancies. Rabbits are induced ovulators, they ovulate in response to the sexual behaviour of another Rabbit. If she starts having pseudo-pregnancies this is likely to add to bonding troubles as she would become aggressive to the other Rabbit and in turn the other Rabbit may fight back.

If PF does remain entire and you do adopt a Buck as a companion remember that if the Buck has only recently been neutered he could remain fertile for at least 6 weeks AFTER surgery.

We never realised how important it was until a while ago and then when I looked into it, I read somewhere that 4 years old was pretty much the maximum age they should be to have that kind of operation so didn't even ask about it. I never realised it was still something that could be done at this age :shock:

Now I feel like I've let DM down even more :cry:

I'll have a chat with my vet next week to see what he can do for her spay-wise and then we can look into getting a friend for her. I agree a male is probably best for her but it breaks my heart to see little Sasha has been sitting in a rescue for a year and a half and I know the reason nobody has taken her is because she has red eyes (a few cute brown/black lops have been rescued a few weeks after being listed :( )

You shouldn't feel that you have let DM down, you can only do your best with the knowledge that you have at the time :thumb:

Back