• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very ill Harribun U/D Eating!

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Harrison is in stasis. Been to our vet this pm, then out of hours vet earlier. Has had metacam, vetergesic and emeprid. Not eaten or pooped. Refusing to move. I'm trying to syringe feed but he's spitting it out. I feel so helpless, he's so miserable and I can't do anything. The out of hours vet didn't fill me with confidence. Has anyone got any suggestions? I don't know what to do :cry:

Last edited:
Oh no, not Harribun :cry: Does the vet know why he's stopped eating? I guess they ruled out a blockage? If it's recovery food he's spitting out maybe he'd take something like baby food instead. I really hope he starts eating soon. Sending lots of vibes for Harribun xx

So sorry to hear this. I hope you manage to see a good vet who you trust, who can give him prolonged treatment until he's better :wave:

Is there something like soft bananas or baby food he likes you could syringe his meds into? I had to syringe any oral meds i was given for bun, into papaya, grape and banana to get mine to eat it. Fresh parsley also seems to help their digestion generally. Try breaking the stalk to release the aroma before you offer it, if fresh veg isn't too much when stasis is identified.

How is Harribun this morning ?

The Vetergesic he had may account for him becoming very 'flat', it is an opiate analgesic and it can cause extreme sedation in some Rabbits. These effects should wear off in about 6 hours so maybe he is a bit brighter by now ?

Thanks all. He stayed very flat and his breathing slowed right down - I know that can happen in people with opiate drugs so maybe it's the same in rabbits. I ended up taking him back to the vet and he was admitted overnight. Just spoken to them and he hasn't eaten or pooped yet. They did an xray when we got there but couldn't see an obstruction. I am so scared because I lost my last bunny in a very similar situation, they couldn't see any obstruction but by the time they tried to operate her bowel had died so there must have been one. He's got an appointment at 10.15 this morning at our vet. What should I expect them to do?

Thanks all. He stayed very flat and his breathing slowed right down - I know that can happen in people with opiate drugs so maybe it's the same in rabbits. I ended up taking him back to the vet and he was admitted overnight. Just spoken to them and he hasn't eaten or pooped yet. They did an xray when we got there but couldn't see an obstruction. I am so scared because I lost my last bunny in a very similar situation, they couldn't see any obstruction but by the time they tried to operate her bowel had died so there must have been one. He's got an appointment at 10.15 this morning at our vet. What should I expect them to do?

Sorry this will be a rushed reply

IV fluids, on going pain relief essential

If definitely no obstruction then prokinetics (gut motility meds)

If cecum is impacted an osmotic laxative (Lactulose) could be beneficial

Liquid paraffin may be given but only after at least 24 hours of aggressive fluid therapy

Simethicone if a lot of gas present

Antibiotics if clinical evidence of bacterial infection, although some Vets will give a covering antibiotic regardless.

Syringe feeds

Abdominal massage

Encourage exercise

Blood profile may shed some light on underlying problem

Thorough oral examination

Personally I would only expect surgery to be suggested as a very last resort or if an acute obstruction is present.

Thanks so much Jane, really appreciate it.

Sorry this will be a rushed reply

IV fluids, on going pain relief essential

If definitely no obstruction then prokinetics (gut motility meds)

If cecum is impacted an osmotic laxative (Lactulose) could be beneficial

Liquid paraffin may be given but only after at least 24 hours of aggressive fluid therapy

Simethicone if a lot of gas present

Antibiotics if clinical evidence of bacterial infection, although some Vets will give a covering antibiotic regardless.

Syringe feeds

Abdominal massage

Encourage exercise

Blood profile may shed some light on underlying problem

Thorough oral examination

Personally I would only expect surgery to be suggested as a very last resort or if an acute obstruction is present.

I would expect him to be kept in so they can give fluids and what was on Jane's list.

At this point, I don't know how helpful a blood glucose test would be :?. A very high reading can point to a blockage.

Sending loads of vibes x

Glad he's had an xray to rule out any obstruction. Hope the vets can figure out what the problem is and he starts to improve soon. Sending lots more vibes for Harribun xx

Thank you everyone for the advice and vibes. He is still no better, I have taken him to a different vet who has been recommended as very rabbit friendly. They have admitted him but said they think the prognosis is poor. :cry:

I just spoke to the vet and he says that Harribun has passed some little poos :D He's still not eating and very unwell but this is great news as it is the first time he's passed anything in over 24 hours. Thanks all for the vibes, fingers crossed they seem to be working.

Back