• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dumplin's Dental done up p25

Mrsmcarey

Mama Doe
Came home from work and let Bunnies out to roam the garden as normal :D check on them now and again no problems Cleo and Jessy on rabbit watch :D

I have been up since 3.30am and I have to get up at 4am tomorrow so decided to put them to bed early at 7pm instead of 9pm so I could have a bath ;)

Dumplin looked at me and his face was not right he let me pick him up :shock: which is not like him as he is usually ofski after a quick head rub if I haven't got treats :roll: found a lump under his chin right hand side it's now 7.10pm fed them and phoned the vets, I'm with Your Vets.

She said she had no appointment and only one vet on :shock: I told her I was concerned but could wait till tomorrow afternoon but then I said I know rabbits go down quite quickly and she went off to speak to someone :D she came back on the phone and said could not find anyone to speak to but if I got him there before 7.45pm they would see him this was now 7.15pm and Dumplin was in the run :shock: fortunately he is stupid and a rattle of fenugreek crunchie box and he was straight in the summer house and in the box lol: and at the vet at 7.30pm

He has tooth spurs and an abscess :cry: he isn't happy at all, they have said to separate him which he isn't impressed with either, so,that I can make sure he eats and drinks pees and poops:?

I have anti-biotics 10 days worth and he is booked in on Thursday for a dental, my poor boy :( but he was very good with the vet and once he had had a good chew on the scope thingy he lay still and let her look, and she was very good and spoke to him all the time :)

And I even managed to get the whole dose of meds down him before I left the vet Just incase I needed help :)

Last edited:
Poor Dumplin :(

Harvey had a tooth abscess, I can't remember when, maybe Oct/Nov last year? He was put on antibiotics and they worked well, the lump took ages to go away, there's still a tiny little abnormality there (as in to feel, his lump was about the size of a pea under his fur and not really inflamed so wasn't ever visible)

I can't remember what the antibiotic he was on though :? they put him on baytril and after some reading and advice I went back and asked if I could have a different one but despite a lot of googling I cannot remember what it was :( I'll let you know if I remember in case the antibiotics you have aren't doing their job

Hope Dumplin feels better soon

(I THINK it was Marbocyl he had)

Last edited:
Poor Dumplin :(

Harvey had a tooth abscess, I can't remember when, maybe Oct/Nov last year? He was put on antibiotics and they worked well, the lump took ages to go away, there's still a tiny little abnormality there (as in to feel, his lump was about the size of a pea under his fur and not really inflamed so wasn't ever visible)

I can't remember what the antibiotic he was on though :? they put him on baytril and after some reading and advice I went back and asked if I could have a different one but despite a lot of googling I cannot remember what it was :( I'll let you know if I remember in case the antibiotics you have aren't doing their job

Hope Dumplin feels better soon

(I THINK it was Marbocyl he had)

He has got Septrin Paediatric Suspension it's Banana flavour and smells yummy, he took it nicely but we will see tomorrow when I try to get the next lot in him :roll:

I feel bad but the vet said it may have come up in just a couple of days :( and only visible today :cry:

Last edited:
He has got Septrin Paediatric Suspension it's Banana flavour and smells yummy, he took it nicely but we will see tomorrow when I try to get the next lot in him :roll:

I feel bad but the vet said it may have come up in just a couple of days :( and only visible today :cry:

They can come up really quickly I think :( well knowing how fast my friend's came on and how fast his face swelled I reckon it happens just as fast if not faster in rabbits what with their more delicate bones! I don't think Harvey even noticed anything was wrong, he was probably wondering what all the fuss was about :lol: he was just not well after the GA for x-rays but he didn't cope brilliantly for his GA for his neuter either so that was nothing to do with the abscess!

I'm so sorry to see this news about Dumplin. :( Sending lots of vibes for him.

Well done on getting him to the vet quickly. :thumb:

Poor Dumplin :cry: sending lots of vibes for him, hope his dental goes well. I hope he takes his meds well :thumb:

I'm so sorry to see this news about Dumplin. :( Sending lots of vibes for him.

Well done on getting him to the vet quickly. :thumb:

I would never have left him once I found it ;) there as so many people on here who query if a vet trip is called for :roll: Urm YES is the answer even if you light look a little over precautions better to pay for a checkup early than deal with very sick pet :thumb:

This goes for my cats too Jessy sneezed twice and I took him straight away last year, he had a grass seed up his nose :roll:

I would never have left him once I found it ;) there as so many people on here who query if a vet trip is called for :roll: Urm YES is the answer even if you light look a little over precautions better to pay for a checkup early than deal with very sick pet :thumb:

This goes for my cats too Jessy sneezed twice and I took him straight away last year, he had a grass seed up his nose :roll:

:thumb::thumb:

Poor Dumpling! Hope he's better soon!

Poor Dumplin :(. Hope he is feeling better soon.

Hope he takes the medicine alright. My lot love Septrin :lol:

I definitely agree :thumb: when Harvey had his lump I was in two minds because it was tiny (like half a pea stuck to his mandible), he wasn't acting any different or in pain and I was trying to work out if it had always been there, or if it was the remnants of a very old break maybe. But the fact I was even querying taking him to the vets made me decide I had to, even if it was nothing!

He has had his dental

Dumplin was worrying me he was eating but only a little and was looking very sorry for himself so I called the vet this morning and spoke to reception who went off to a vet again and said come in when you can we can do it today if he is starting to struggle.

I took him in at 2.30 and had a txt at 6.25 to say he was recovering well and to pick him up at 7.30 :D phew it's been a stressful 4 hours :oops:

Dumplin was worrying me he was eating but only a little and was looking very sorry for himself so I called the vet this morning and spoke to reception who went off to a vet again and said come in when you can we can do it today if he is starting to struggle.

I took him in at 2.30 and had a txt at 6.25 to say he was recovering well and to pick him up at 7.30 :D phew it's been a stressful 4 hours :oops:

Glad he's recovering well :D must have been a nerve racking afternoon! I hope you have tasty treats in for hime :p

Glad he's recovering well :D must have been a nerve racking afternoon! I hope you have tasty treats in for hime :p

i have given him everything i can think of, raisins, Blueberry Crunchies, pellets, hay, ready grass, runner bean leaves he has taken some critical care and few syringes of water, and he has drank by himself and did lick the critical care by himself but not much and is just sitting sulking now :( my poor boy:(

he has had his pain relief like a good boy he likes it thankfully :)

Back