• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lucky Update. UD: Looks like I have an EC Bun on my hands

Riggs

Warren Scout
Hi everybody, This is an update to my recent post in Rabbit Chat which I meant to post here so if you want to catch up with that one pop across and look for Lucky's Progress.

As I said over there Lucky has recently been having balance issues on his rear legs and after a visit to the Vets was put on Meloxidyl and cage rest as it appeared that he had hurt his lower back causing some numbness in his legs.

He has been making some progress and was becoming a little more stable although we did have an appetite problem for a few days as he was looking a little depressed about being confined, however over the last couple of days he has become very unstable again and is very slow on his left hand rear and is having some general balance issues, however he is fine in his self and is still interested, is eating and drinking and pooing so no problem there now just this balance thing.

The Vet has had a look at his ears and there is no problem there and once he is moving he is happy to hop around albeit much slower than normal.

So it is back to the Vets tomorrow to see if we can work out what is going on with him, I so wish that he could tell me so that we could get him sorted.

So any spare get well vibes would be appreciated.

Will update later, in the mean time here are a couple of photos of him having a little time out in the front room and one of Blossom from this week for good measure.

Heres the boy during a 10 minute out time in a sectioned off part of the front room displaying a very serious moult.

And some together time with Blossom, she sat and groomed his back for about 5 minutes

And one of Bloss in the garden, she really misses him being there with her

Last edited:
Poor little Lucky:(

His moult is spectacular, bless him.

Nice to see Blossom looking after her buck.:love:

Vibes that nothing is too sinister, and that your lovely boy gets better soon.

Xxx

So following our trip to the Vets this morning poor little Lucky is not feeling very lucky, he now has more medication to put up with.

As there has been little overall improvement in his balance over the last 11 days it is time to re assess.

He is still a happy bun, alert and interested but has some delay in his reactions on his back legs, he does not appear to be in any pain but is a bit slow moving around and this morning he had a damp nose so he is now on Baytril in case of some minor infections, a 28 day course of Panacure in case it is parasitic in nature, and continuing with the meloxidyl and cage rest with some supervised mild exercise time so I have blocked off all the little runs and tunnels in the front room so that he can have some yard time as it were.

On top of all of this he has decided to stop eating today and although he has munched on a little bit of hay and a couple of herby bits he has hardly touched his dinner or his veg so we are now starting him on Metoclopramide to stimulate his appetite.

Blossom is now spending most of her day standing guard next to his cage and has made several attempts to break him out.

All we can now do is hope for the best over the next few days for some improvement but it may be that he has arthritis in his hind legs or hips but am hoping hat it is more recoverable than that.

I am going to start Blossom on a course of Panacure as a cautionary measure.

Sounds like it is going to be a fun week for us all.

Hi weedug, Lucky has eaten overnight, I went out in the garden last night and got him a piece of hawthorne which has disappeared without a trace so that is a positive, I am working a late shift tonight so have left him with some fresh cut grass and his usual veg and hay so will see how he is tonight.

IT is such a worry that he is not eating properly but that may be down to him being a bit depressed about his confinement, we'll see

Got to go to work now so more later.

So after little improvement by Tuesday I decided to return to the Vets on wednesday to re assess and saw Pip at Good Companions who had already had a conversation with Amy concerning Lucky's diagnosis.

After a further examination we have decided that the most likely cause of his current condition is E Cuniculi which would explain the loss of co ordination of his hind legs and his wobbliness, so as he does not appear to be in any pain and hasn't responded to the anti inflamatories we have decided to stop them and treat as EC.

So 28 day course of Panacure with Blossom on the same as a precautionary measure (She is not displaying any symptoms at all) I did consider isolating Lucky and keeping them strictly separated but thinking about it, it is probably a bit late for that and would only serve to stress them out and run the risk of breaking the bond.

So Lucky is still in the cage when not supervised so that he doesn't hurt himself and has supervised out time when I am home.

I have been syringe feeding him mushy pellets as he did stop eating for a while but over the last couple of days has started eating some vegetables and actually ate some of the mushy pellets off of a spoon by himself tonight so fingers crossed that we have it under control and he is on the mend, he is much more stable now than he was earlier in the week, still a little wobbly but has been getting a bit feisty at meds time so things are looking promising.

More Later.

Lucky on a downstairs exercise break

Eating some herbs

Some mutual grooming

Back