• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rescue rabbits

petmad

New Kit
Hi, I wanted to rescue 2 rabbits but just been told that the rabbits are brother & sister 4 months old. Both in the same hutch. Now I ain't sure about this cause the doe could be pregnant by her brother. The woman got the rabbits for her kids who have lost interest in them. Is it OK if brother & sister have mated ?

Hi, I wanted to rescue 2 rabbits but just been told that the rabbits are brother & sister 4 months old. Both in the same hutch. Now I ain't sure about this cause the doe could be pregnant by her brother. The woman got the rabbits for her kids who have lost interest in them. Is it OK if brother & sister have mated ?

Mostly likely the female will be pregnant. If you want to rescue rabbits, why not go to a reputable rabbit rescue who will neuter, vaccinate and bond the rabbits for you?

It isn't very unlikely the doe will be pregnant, if the woman has got their age correct. Brother and sister make a very good bond, so if you can afford to separate them, get the boy neutered asap then re bond them, then get the female neutered when she is a little older, everything will be fine. She wouldn't be old enough to successfully manage a litter, they would probably be born dead, IF she is pregnant. Good luck if you decide to go ahead. The boy should be old enough to be neutered now.

I bought mine at about 4 months and then turned out to be brother and sister. Tarja went to be spayed ASAP and she was already pregnant :( :(

Rescuing like this is hard and very, very expensive. It has cost me over £500 to have my newest spayed, vaccinated, deflead, wormed and then treatment for a skin condition and a bite. My credit card isn't best pleased!

Ofc, if you really can't bear to leave them, take them and give them a proper bunny home, I could barely bring myself to leave my girls another day!
Just remember that spaying is the tip of the iceberg here. We're also looking at vaccines, flea treatment, working, claws, teeth and anything else they've had neglected!

Back