• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need to know

mercury

New Kit
I want to start this off by saying that I do not own any rabbits. I came here because I needed to find answers and get closure. I rescued a bunny, probably no more than two months old, from three cats. The bunny appeared to be ok but it wouldnt eat or drink. So we kept looking after it for the whole day. It seemed fine. We coldnt let it free though because its mother was dead, but we couldnt bring it in the house because my mother and sister are allergic to bunnies. So we put alot of blankets and such in with it in a large and deep box, then put another one over It to be safe. We thought it would be fine because the nights would always be really warm, but it got really cold and when we found it in the morning it was on the opposite side of the box and away from the blankets. We thought it was dead. A little while later I looked at it again and noticed it was moving slightly, needless to say I cried tears of joy. But after we brought it in and swaddled it and tried to warm it up, it became very stiff, and unmoving. When we had first brought it in after it looked like it was dead, it ws moving its mouth open and closed and its body was much looser. What im looking to find out is, did it die before we buried it? It didnt have any convulsions, and it didnt deficate, it just stiffened up and didnt move. Before we buried it we tried looking for a heartbeat, but found none, mercury (thats what we named her) was cold to the touch, and we put a mirror under her nose to see if she was breathing at all (breath wouldve fogged the glass). Also, a skunk just dug up the grave that we made her, I dont k km ow what that means but I would like to find out (its currently 3 in the morning and im watching the grave to make sure the skunk doesnt come back). One last question, why would she leave the blankets for my he cold? Thank you for reading all of that and sorry for any grammatical errors.

Nobody will be able to answer your question as we didnt see said bunny.

I dont know why you didnt contact a vet.

Binky free bunny :(

That's a little harsh, Graham, and not really in keeping with forum rules. The OP said she doesn't own rabbits so wouldn't know the signs of a poorly bun, we have no idea of her age so may not have even been able to get to a vet. Regardless, there's nothing to gain from making them feel bad after the event.

OP, I'm so sorry the bunny didn't make it. It's most likely that it would have died from shock. You weren't to know that a bunny refusing to eat and drink is a sign that it needs to see a vet.

I didn't see the bunny but I'm pretty confident that you didn't bury it before it had died. Animals don't always convulse or defecate when they pass.

I'm guessing you're in the US. ? I'm not sure about skunks but I know that here in the UK it's very common for animals (foxes particularly) to dig up graves as they're attracted by the smell.

Last edited:
Back