• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Needed!

Ok so here goes... please no bashing as I have just tried to help...

I have a standard dutch doe of whom I rescued from a home who loved her but didn't care for her enough. I then bonded her with an English spot doe. They have been together for 18 months now and very much best of friends.

Today I collected what I believed to be 2 continental giant does. They have been very poorly treated (sucker for animals in need) and their hutch was rank. I let them out in my (secure) garden whilst I gave their hutch a very big scrub down. I left it to dry and popped indoors, leaving my 3 year old out to play in the garden. When I have come back out, my original rabbits were also out... nothing obscure, all carrying on as normal but got them all back in their own hutches.

This evening, now my partner is home to help, I've one by one got the new bunnies out to check over, groom and trim claws. 1st all fine (very matted and dirty but nothing I can't fix) 2nd in the same state.... but I found she is a he!!!

My panic is now that I may potentially end up with 3 pregnant does (giants have now been separated) and on top of that... if the deed has happened... how will my standard sized bunnies cope with the birth of giant kits?

What advice can you all help me with? I am going to get the buck booked in to the vets asap.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello x
What you could do is have the rabbits spayed! I had this problem too. Or you could take them to the vets and ask the vet to palpate the rabbit (feeling to see if she is carrying babies) but this is not 100% effective! If you we're very worried you could have the female rabbits spayed, this would terminate the pregnancies. Xx

Spay them ASAP please.

Unfortunately with trying to do good things, you also need to realise that the money needs to be there too and if you can't afford to spay them, then you need to realistically look at whether you can look after them to the best of your potential. What if they all became ill at once, could you afford to deal with that?

I'm not assuming that you can't afford it, but it's something else you should look at too :)

Keep them all separated individually for now, try to get to the vets tomorrow if you can.

Good luck!

If the two giants have been together for any length of time then the female is very likely to be pregnant. As others have said it is very important to spay your rabbits so I would book them all in for a spay ASAP, especially the giant (providing the vets feel she is healthy enough for a GA).

Well done for rescuing the buns in the first place. I would get them both to the vet tomorrow so they can be vaccinated and checked over. Explain what happened and get the vet to give the doe a thorough check over to see if she is pregnant and ask about an emergency spay. My main worry would be if the giants have something wrong with them that may be contagious to your other buns. Are your other buns vaccinated?

Try to keep the giants in strict quarantine from now on for a few weeks at least. It may be worth giving them a course of panacur at too to rule out E.C or anything else. I don't do this with new/rescue buns but I do know a lot of people who do and I probably will from now on after dealing with baby buns with E.C.

Take your 2 does for emergency spays - most vets do this up to the middle of pregnancy with no worries but may administer fluids if closer to midway point. Some will also spay further along but slightly more risky with increased blood supply. It is important to get these spays done because a normal sized rabbit may struggle with delivering kits fathered by a giant :(

As above the giant doe is likely to be pregnant though they do mature later than average sized rabbits. Do you know how old they are? They have large litters so avoiding this would be good as finding suitable homes for large rabbits is tough :(

Sorry you are in this situation :( I rescue and have had a doe go through an emergency spay. She recovered well so i'm sure your girls will be ok xx

Well done for helping the poor buns. Do you have any idea the age of the giants?

As has already been said, since the giants have been together, and I assume were together before you got them, she will be pregnant if they are old enough. I would start by taking the giants to the vet and finding out if she is pregnant, and you could discuss the spays for your 2 at the same time.

Your 2 girls would be best neutered anyway, because otherwise they will be at risk from uterine cancer.

It can be very dangerous for smaller buns to have the babies of giants, for obvious reasons. If they were my bunnies I would be having emergency spays immediately just to be on the safe side.

Plus as already mentioned all female buns should be spayed anyway. Otherwise they have an over 80% chance of developing uterine cancer before they are 5. It is a horrible illness and so easily preventable!

Agreed .. the females ought to be spayed anyway for their health and behaviour .. best to do it right away and save a lot of heartache.

Bless you for your kind heart :love:

Back