• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E.coli help?

Hi. As I've mentioned before my bun has e.coli on and off. He doesn't have diarrhea or any other symptoms other than mucus on some of his droppings. Not a lot - but it happens at least once a week. He'll also have cecotropes mixed with regular hard droppings.

I've tried everything with my vet, we've been through several antibiotics. Almost five weeks ago he showed the signs mentioned again, and we informed our vet. It took him 5 weeks to actually get the "stronger antibiotics". Well they finally arrived - and it's called "Rilexine 600". I'm suppose to break 1/4th a tablet and sprinkle it over his food. Not only is this dose wrong for my 5 pound rabbit - but this medication isn't even for rabbits.
http://www.imvab.com.ec/fichasguaffy/rilexine600.html
http://www.infopest.com.au/Labels/Labels/54000/54341_0608e.pdf

I'm so frustrated on what to do next. We've tried to contact every vet and even vets who have claimed to be rabbit savvy and then suggested I feed him bread and carrots. In the past he was being treated with oxytetracycline + sulphamerazine + other ingredients. It was a powder mixed with a liter of water. Yes, it helped. Should I just go back to this? Of course I'll confront my vet again, but I'm almost sure he won't have a solution. He isn't himself recently.

I know people have suggested taking care of his fleas, and to try Bene-bac to increase his good gut flora. But neither of those can be done right now because we have nothing available of that sort. I would have to wait 3 weeks for a relative to send me both of those things to take care of those problems as well.

Hi,

I'm sorry you've been having so many problems with your little one :-(

First, please do not give this antibiotic orally to your rabbit without speaking to your vet first! It looks like it's cephalexin which actually causes serious tummy upsets in rabbits rather than resolves them! It's safe given by injection but not when eaten. Here are a couple of links which you can show your vet

http://www.rabbit.org/health/antibiotics.html
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

I wouldn't worry about the fact that this isn't a bunny medicine or the dose isn't 'right' because most bunny medicines are not licensed for use in rabbits, and the dose is often very different to the equivalent dog/cat dose because of their differing bodies etc. So being prescribed drugs which aren't meant for rabbits isn't necessarily a problem - although in this particular instance I think it is!

If you found the previous combination worked better then it might be worth discussing using that, although I would suggest seeing if you can get it in a format which allows you to syringe it directly intoe the rabbit's mouth rather than put it in water. You can't guarantee you're getting the right dose if you mix it with water as it depends on how much the rabbit drinks and how quickly, and if the water tastes funny, the bun might not drink as much as normal and might dehydrate.

Can I ask how e.coli was diagnosed? Is it possible that this actually isn't that problem any more at all? What does your bunny eat? Have you ever had the poo tested for coccidiosis? That can also cause poos like you describe and has a different drug to treat it. It must be really frustrating for you not to be able to access good bunny advice. Does asking google come up with any alternative vet suggestions?

Good luck with your little one x x

Hello.
I just spoke to my vet and explained the situation. He asked how Casper himself was and I told him he was just tired. I told him I had treated him for two days with the antibiotic from the past. He said to stop treatment and to just leave him alone, that all in all it was too much antibiotics. So I guess that's what I'll do for now...although I don't see anything going away on it's own.

His E.coli was diagnosed in December - January. Treated it with antibiotics for months. Then we had other small things happen like random diarrhea and more mucus. We had 2 more cultures done in the span of a few months. They found nothing wrong with him other than that he has a minor parasite issue. Three cultures in total and many vet bills later, the only thing I've ever done for him is treat him antibiotics on and off. Throughout all of these months, he's acted perfectly fine. But lately, he's been different. I do believe there's a possibility that E.coli is no longer the problem. But culture tests find nothing.

It's very hard to get hay here, we've been waiting months. And finally in 20 days they should have some again. He eats less hay than normal bunnies because I'm the one making it for him. He eats pellets, occasional grass, veggies, and of course, my hay.

I should have explained the antibiotic better. It's a powder composed of
Oxytetracycline ...
Sulfamethazine 12.0g ...
Trimatropim 10.0g ...
Saccharin 1.0g ... 0.01g
Excipients q.s. ... 100.0g
It's a powder you put into a liter of water, and then syringe feed.

His cage has 4 floors, and the base - now he's taken a liking to the base now that I've set up a nice bed down there. I'll go in his cage to pet him and he will close his eyes and almost sleep. He's very secretive about sleeping. But now, he'll lay down with his eyes closed - I'll even move him and he'll allow it. He doesn't seem very alert about the noise around him. He use to wake up instantly when seen by me or a loud noise. He is very comfortable with me and allows me to handle him and is very loving in general. But I doubt this is the case now. It's almost as if he doesn't care. I almost feel as if I could shake him while he's in this position and he still wouldn't care. However, as soon as he smells pellets or treats he'll become alert again and start standing and sniffing. Just yesterday he propped his head on a blanket, and while petting him he nearly left his mouth part.
Aside from this - as soon as he's out of the cage again, he's back to his normal self! Is he just depressed in his cage? Thanks.

Could he be deaf ? That would account for his apparent lack of response at times

Is he a lop eared Rabbit ?

Has the Vet checked inside his ears ?

E.Coli can linger and it can effect the ears aswell as the GI tract and the Urinary Tract.

His GI tract symptoms may be secondary to another problem now. But the lack of hay in his diet will undoubtedly be having a significant effect on the function of his GI tract. There may also be dysbiosis in the cecum as a result of all the antibiotics. Does he have access to grass/forage at all ?

Hi Jack's Jane,
I tested what he does without the bed, in the same area, and he isn't the same. He was more active today. Maybe when his bed is made he just gets too comfortable with his surroundings?
I highly doubt he is deaf because he reacts to loud noises, etc. He is not lop eared, he is a lionhead. :) No, the vet has not examined his ears.
Yes, he does have access to hay and grass. Of course he gets LESS everyday than a rabbit should, but he does eat it.

I've forgotten where you said you live. I live in New Zealand but have managed to get a lot of products not for sale here, like bene-bac by ordering on ebay.

Do they have horses where you live? A rabbit savvy vet once told me if I couldn't find a good rabbit vet to find a good horse vet, he said physiologically rabbit are like miniature horses, and they take the same medications. Also, If they do have horses where you live maybe you could get some hay from the horse owners.

Back