• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Who has a large group of bunnies?

Karen's

Mama Doe
Hi there,
I'm just up late wishful thinking, and pondering on all my buns living together in one big bunny family. I currently have two m/f pairs and a single female.... What if I could bond them all....
I know all the potential pitfalls... But it would be nice if people could share their success stories, and pictures. I'd just love a large group. :love:

We have a family of 8, mother (who was pregnant when we rescued her) and her 7 now adult babies, two boys and five girls. We got Mammy bun (Angel) spayed when her babies were about 12 weeks old and also separated the boys from the girls but kept them in pens close together and as Mammy bun was done, she was allowed to spend time with the baby boys daily after she had recovered from her spay. They clearly missed her. Then we got the boys neutered at around 6 months and all the girls together were spayed about a month later. We then left it a few weeks before gradually allowing them to spend time all together again. They are great together, all have just come back from boarding at Windwhistle Warren as we went on holidays.

Apart from these, we have two trios, four pairs and two singles. Apart from our three legged baby bun who has not been given the opportunity yet, all bar two of our buns mix well together when free ranging in the garden or around the house although we usually let them mix in groups. Two buns (two boy agoutis) cannot be allowed to come into contact with each other at all however both are fine with other buns male and female. :wave:

We have 8 buns and it would certainly be easier if we could just bond them all together.
I often joke to hubby that we should open all the hutch doors, and then go to the pub and let them get on with it :)

I haven't got a large group, I have a quad and a new single. I managed to bond my original f/f and m/m pairs together to make the quad last year. Here's my bonding thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?402162-U-d-2-weeks-after-Bonding-a-quad
And a couple of photos here
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...got-all-4-of-the-quad-on-one-photo-in-the-run!
It was very scary attempting the bond as I was worried about it not working and also the possibility of the original bonds not working. But I knew my bunnies well, and their personalities were all quite similar, the boys are nervy, coiled spring type live wires, the girls are very active too, so they were a good match personality wise. So I decided to try it with the view to pulling the plug on it at the first sign of any trouble, in the hope of saving the original bond.

Although I've got the space for a bigger group I wouldn't want to rock the boat by adding more bunnies into the mix.

Not at present as need to be flexable on accommodation because renting, but when we buy our own place I am really tempted to try and bond my groups into bigger ones. I would probably keep my older pair as they are because they need extra feeding etc, but it would be amazing if I could get the other 10 together.

I've got 8, mum, dad and babies (2 years old) they're in 3 groups and I'd love for them to be altogether, wouldn't have a clue how to do it though!

I have a quad and two m/f pairs (quad is two brothers bonded to two sisters). I would love love love them to be a group of eight but dont dare to risk their bonds.

Hello Karen
I have a family of 16 they get along very well.x

a4ydmv.jpg

Ooh I've just melted seeing that photo, ooh how lovely :love:
P.s. You should enter that photo in the calendar competition :thumb:

Thank you Karen, they love being in a group but also love having their own time lol have you decided if you are going to group your bunnies ? :)

I've been pondering on it for ages. I've recently rescued my 5th bun, a single female, but she needs to lose weight before she can be spayed, which will hopefully only be another few weeks I think. Then once she is recovered from her op and her hormones settle, I just might give it a go!.... Unless I chicken out :lol:

Back