• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Downgrading Grayson hamster :( *Pics added*

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
I've decided to downgrade Grayson from his detolf to a retirement home :( He's not making use of the space and I've discovered he's been weeing in his bed, which is wooden so you can imagine is getting a bit smelly! It's also taking up so much room in the lounge it's limiting the layout, and just seems daft when all he does is a little wander then back to bed! I've been thinking about it for a while but just spotted a bargain cage someone's selling on Facebook, in really good condition, so I've nabbed it for £15 :D It's 80x50cm so I won't feel too guilty :oops: But it will be much easier to keep clean, it comes with a typical little plastic house bed but I think it's best as it will all be able to be cleaned much more easily. Poor Grayson, feel like I'm sending him on his way doing this but I really think it will be better. He's never had cage bars so hope he doesn't become a bar chewer :lol: I will post pics once I've collected it and set it up :thumb: Will prob give him a new lease of life :lol:

Last edited:
Aww bless him :love: I think it's probably best, he won't have to go too far for everything now. We have one remaining elderly gerbil, for the last few days he's been sleeping/eating in the same end of his tank, he's not moving around much at all :(

Thanks :) Don't know why but there's been quite a few hamster cages coming up for sale on Facebook recently but they've all been small or rotastak type ones so I was chuffed when I saw that last night it's perfect, still a really good size but will be much easier for him to get around and for me to keep clean :)

Just set the cage up...

Kept everything on a low level, I've made him a new, easy-to-clean bed from a tub! Put his old potty (made from a milk carton :lol:) near to his bed so hopefully he will find it ok, I haven't cleaned it, just put fresh litter in so it will still smell familiar.

Been taking stuff from his old cage and he's not woken up, so I thought I'll take some of his bedding from his bed so his new bed has his smell in it... Still no movement... Starting to get worries at this point... Removed enough bedding to be able to see him, still no movement but the bedding felt warm. Ended up having to shine torch on him to check he's breathing! He is!! Must just be in a very deep sleep :lol: Need him to wake up now!!

I remeber when I had Skye I'd get in such a panic when she didn't react to me touching stuff in her cage so I'd stare at her waiting for breath whilst holding my own then theres the massive sigh of relief when they breath! :lol: I do that with the buns sometimes too when they flop :oops:

Seems a lovely home for Grayson to retire into, and has lots of stuff to do as well - spoilt wee hammy! :lol: :love:

Happy Retirement home for Grayson, i hope he has fun in his new bespoke abode....

Wee mite...

Can i ask, if a hammy starts peeing in his bed does this mean he is elderly and getting on?.. My vet couldnt age my hammy and as i found him abandoned I dont know how old he is?. My hammy does this?

Love the idea of a retirement home :love:

I think Sid will need one at some point because the Alexander is so big and I think when he gets old he'll have trouble getting up and down from the levels. At least a retirement home will be easier to transport, I'm dreading having to transport the Alexander cage for Sid's "holiday" :shock:

Happy Retirement home for Grayson, i hope he has fun in his new bespoke abode....

Wee mite...

Can i ask, if a hammy starts peeing in his bed does this mean he is elderly and getting on?.. My vet couldnt age my hammy and as i found him abandoned I dont know how old he is?. My hammy does this?

I'm not sure, I'm just presuming that's why he's doing it, maybe when he's in a very deep sleep he becomes incontinent? Not sure! Just know it stinks when hammy has a wooden bed!! He's already weed in his potty tho :thumb: and he's now snuggled in his tub bed! Seeing him crawling into it tho I realised how small it was for him! Couldn't see anything suitable in the shops so might have to look for something online.

Love the idea of a retirement home :love:

I think Sid will need one at some point because the Alexander is so big and I think when he gets old he'll have trouble getting up and down from the levels. At least a retirement home will be easier to transport, I'm dreading having to transport the Alexander cage for Sid's "holiday" :shock:

This is still a really good size I'm sure he'll be very happy in it :D

I remeber when I had Skye I'd get in such a panic when she didn't react to me touching stuff in her cage so I'd stare at her waiting for breath whilst holding my own then theres the massive sigh of relief when they breath! :lol: I do that with the buns sometimes too when they flop :oops:

Seems a lovely home for Grayson to retire into, and has lots of stuff to do as well - spoilt wee hammy! :lol: :love:

Thanks, he's had a good wander around now, and took himself off back to bed so I think he's calling it home :lol:

Back