• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anybody used the Burgess excel bedding and litter?

tashp90

Warren Veteran
Is it any good?
It says on the bag:
"Unrivalled absorbency, fantastic economy, lasts 1 month, longer lasting then whole straw and shavings, excellent odour control, 100% natural, with added natural external parasite control, helps prevent fly, mite & flea infestation"
I got a 4kg bag from the garden centre for £5.99 to try.

Also got 10kg of excel pellets for £15.99..they should last a while ;)

Also, should I be concerned that the girls are trying to eat it?!?! I'm stopping them, but I won't be able to stop them 24/7!

YES and it's brilliant!!!

Absolutely no accidents with a bunny that had never used a litter tray before and he rarely poos anywhere but the litter tray!he has really gone with it!

I wish I could get from somewhere other than the range!

It's completely natural so I don't see any harm with them eating it. George hasn't tried to which surprised me because he eats and chews almost everything else. I think he's too busy chowing down on his hay :)

Last edited:
Ps it's not lasting a month for me atm because I completely change in every other day because I'm closely monitoring his poos while I introduce new foods :)

YES and it's brilliant!!!

Absolutely no accidents with a bunny that had never used a litter tray before and he rarely poos anywhere but the litter tray!he has really gone with it!

I wish I could get from somewhere other than the range!

It's completely natural so I don't see any harm with them eating it. George hasn't tried to which surprised me because he eats and chews almost everything else. I think he's too busy crowing down on his hay :)
Thank you!

I looked at the bag and it says it's made from compressed straw. It says it's not made for animals to eat it, but if they eat excessively to stop giving it to them.
Mine are digging up the kitchen roll/newspaper on top to get it :roll:
Sorry I've never tried it but I can't give my buns carefresh as Harvey eats it :roll:

I'll keep an eye on them...monsters!!!

Thank you!

I looked at the bag and it says it's made from compressed straw. It says it's not made for animals to eat it, but if they eat excessively to stop giving it to them.
Mine are digging up the kitchen roll/newspaper on top to get it :roll:

I'll keep an eye on them...monsters!!!

Yeah excessively I can understand haha it's not cheap for me at the moment but it works so I won't fix what ain't broken :)

Hmmmm.. mine is eating it also. Came home and found she'd dug her litter tray out and thrown it everywhere. Added a handful of the Burgess in to weight down the newspaper, when I made up the fresh litter. Then topped up with Carefresh, mixed with bit of the Back2Nature she was using prior to that. Hour later there's a 5x5 cm empty area at the front of the newly made up litter tray. A freshly filled box of timothy and meadow mix hay to her left, a tray of fresh greens to her right, and she's sat facing the litter, chomping away from there...

Hmmmm.. mine is eating it also. Came home and found she'd dug her litter tray out and thrown it everywhere. Added a handful of the Burgess in to weight down the newspaper, when I made up the fresh litter. Then topped up with Carefresh, mixed with bit of the Back2Nature she was using prior to that. Hour later there's a 5x5 cm empty area at the front of the newly made up litter tray. A freshly filled box of timothy and meadow mix hay to her left, a tray of fresh greens to her right, and she's sat facing the litter, chomping away from there...

The things we do eh!

Each rabbit has different tastes I guess!haha

Yeah excessively I can understand haha it's not cheap for me at the moment but it works so I won't fix what ain't broken :)
All 3 of mine are eating it :? I don't understand! Maybe they'll stop once they've pee'd on it :lol::lol:

Mine hasn't :( Hoping the novelty of them will wear off next few days. Caught her at it several times already. As soon as she hears my chair move, her head goes up. If I take a step towards her, she jumps in the litter box, then tries to look innocent as she nibbles on a bit of hay! Had to put another handful of Carefresh in there....

If she likes them so much she won't stop, I'm going to have to keep them for her clicker training to use as treats... :roll:

Burgess Excel litter - hope it's not to late to post.

Mine hasn't :( Hoping the novelty of them will wear off next few days. Caught her at it several times already. As soon as she hears my chair move, her head goes up. If I take a step towards her, she jumps in the litter box, then tries to look innocent as she nibbles on a bit of hay! Had to put another handful of Carefresh in there....

If she likes them so much she won't stop, I'm going to have to keep them for her clicker training to use as treats... :roll:

I have used Burgess Excel litter since last summer and found it very good. It is extremely absorbent and seems the best litter I've found at controlling odours. I did use Megazorb but had one bag which smelt funny and was quite dusty. Then one of my bunnies started to sneeze, and as the vet couldn't find anything obviously wrong, we concluded that it was the dust from the Megazorb. The great plus with Megazorb is its softness. Burgess Excel, when dry, is very hard. You have to cover it with a thick layer of hay otherwise I am sure it will hurt the bunnies' feet. However when it gets wet, it turns to a compost-like consistency. I find it just as cheap if not cheaper than Megazorb. I buy 2 bags for £11 from the local pet shop and they last for 6-7 weeks. I line my rabbits' litter tray (a medium-sized cat litter tray) with newspaper, cover half of it with a one-pellet-thick layer of Burgess litter and cover generously with hay. Every day I remove the old hay and pick out the bits of litter that are still dry (about half) reuse these and top up with new Burgess Excel. As for the problems of bunnies nibbling it, mine do from time to time, although they generally prefer hay. I was worried they may be eating too much so rang Smartbedz, the manufacturers. They told me that as the product was 100% straw, it wouldn't be a problem. (The pellets swell and disintegrate when wet, so I assume they pass freely through the GI tract when ingested.) They told me they have added a natural insect repellent which isn't in the Smartbedz universal bedding, by the way. Otherwise Smartbedz Universal is also suitable for rabbits. I hope this is helpful, if you're still pondering whether to use Excel.

Burgess bedding and litter pellets

Just tried the Burgess pelleted litter and my two rabbits immediately started eating it - all very worrying especially when you see how it swells up when wet. I immediately took the pellets out of the tray as I didn't want to risk gut statis, I really advise not to use it, there is no indication that it is safe to eat and knowing how delicate rabbit digestion can be it's just not worth the risk. Last time one of mine stopped eating it cost over £800 to get him well again.:(

Back