• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Referred aggression?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Hi there,

Since having to separate my trio, I now have a male-female pair and a single male bun in separate set ups in the same garden.

When everyone is shut in their own accommodation, there are no issues, but as soon as they are allowed out for supervised free range time (they take it in turns), the boys wind each other up through the mesh.

When Pepper is out, Tango tends to chase his wife bun, and before I get Pepper a new partner I need to restore some peace! I can shut Finx and Tango in their playhouse while Pepper is out - is this likely to help?

Any other advice would be appreciated 😊

Generally blocking sight line is enough to stop it, so either shutting them in the playhouse or you could try pegging a sheet across the mesh or use a sheet or cardboard/wood board just so they can't see each other :)

I get this with my two pairs. I tried a plywood blocker around the run, but the wind kept blowing it down. Then I tried a double sheet of hessian, but the buns seem to be able to see through it, and/ or at least can smell through it and know there's a bun on the other side. I now just shut the other pair inside the shed, but this means they only get an hour each, as I don't like to shut them in for any longer than that.
Bunnies.... Why can't they all just get along! :roll:

I find with our indoor buns - out of sight = out of mind :roll:

The boys are all fully aware of the other boys - but as long as they don't see each other - then peace reigns. If Bobo catches sight of Sheldon however - then he takes it out on his wife - and vise versa.

It doesn't look very pretty but we flattened some large cardboard storage boxes and use those as blocks - keep meaning to get something better made but hey - if works it works :lol:

I've found blocking sight isn't enough. If they can smell/hear/sense other rabbits nearby they will get upset if they feel those rabbits are on/near their territory

Today I shut Finx and Tango in the top storey of their run while Pepper had his turn in the garden. They could see Pepper out playing but didn't bother racing around or chasing 😊

Back