• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit sitting in litter tray/getting wee on her feet - PLEASE HELP

Hi All,

I am an old member of RU but have registered as a new user due to a loss of all my personal details. I am also unable to post photos at present as I can't access photobucket at work.

I need some advise, I have an 8 month old conti cross who we rescued in January this year.

Ever since we have bonded he she has managed to get her feet and bum covered in wee ALL the time. I took her to the vets and they couldn't find anything wrong and said not to worry and gave me some stuff to give her a bum bath. However its getting worse. We have 2 large litter trays between 4 of them and they are changed EVERY evening and replaced with new rabbit friendly wood pellets. However she its in the trays and seems to wee all over her feet. We can bum bath but the effects last a day or so. I am so concerned as she is very suseptable to urine scald and the fur on her feet is patchy and doesn't re-grow.

Can anyone help? Please. We are so worried about her welfare and want to get her back to health and look like a bunny should.

I would look at getting a second opinion from another vet. Could she have a deformed/damaged bottom so her "angle" is off? Has she been tested for incontinence related problems such as a urinary tract infection? Has she been spayed?

As she's a giant, it may also be worth asking them to check her spine and hips for any deformities or damage, if she's painful she may not be able to reach properly to clean up herself or may simply find it uncomfortable to move around.

Does she have lots of space to get away from the litter tray and move around? What kind of tray is it? If it has a large lip all the way round, may be worth looking for an easier access one such as a large plastic dog bed or a potting tray.

I would look at getting a second opinion from another vet. Could she have a deformed/damaged bottom so her "angle" is off? Has she been tested for incontinence related problems such as a urinary tract infection? Has she been spayed?

As she's a giant, it may also be worth asking them to check her spine and hips for any deformities or damage, if she's painful she may not be able to reach properly to clean up herself or may simply find it uncomfortable to move around.

Does she have lots of space to get away from the litter tray and move around? What kind of tray is it? If it has a large lip all the way round, may be worth looking for an easier access one such as a large plastic dog bed or a potting tray.

Thank you VERY much for replying. She is her normal bouncy and loving self with no change in behaviour at all. I did think urinary tract and asked this when I went last but to no avail. She is spayed as was as soon as we got her so since around January.

She shows no sign of pain, I know bunnies don't tend to 'show' pain but there is no change in her behaviour and she still sppeds around the place. She has plenty of room to escape the trays and we have 2 sorts. 1 is a corner tray and the other is a large cat try with lip. She has no rpblem getting in and out and spends most of her time in there.

Thank you VERY much for replying. She is her normal bouncy and loving self with no change in behaviour at all. I did think urinary tract and asked this when I went last but to no avail. She is spayed as was as soon as we got her so since around January.

She shows no sign of pain, I know bunnies don't tend to 'show' pain but there is no change in her behaviour and she still sppeds around the place. She has plenty of room to escape the trays and we have 2 sorts. 1 is a corner tray and the other is a large cat try with lip. She has no rpblem getting in and out and spends most of her time in there.

Hmm. Maybe try larger trays so there's shuffling about room. Do you just have the pellets in the tray? If so, stick a thick bed of hay on top of it so the pee will drip through and she won't be standing directly on the litter.

Make sure there's lots of entertainment outside the tray so she has more to do than sit in there!

I would have a chat with another bunny savvy vet though. I would suspect something more serious than just sitting in pee is going on here.

Hmm. Maybe try larger trays so there's shuffling about room. Do you just have the pellets in the tray? If so, stick a thick bed of hay on top of it so the pee will drip through and she won't be standing directly on the litter.

Make sure there's lots of entertainment outside the tray so she has more to do than sit in there!

I would have a chat with another bunny savvy vet though. I would suspect something more serious than just sitting in pee is going on here.

Thank you very much for the advice and we are going to get her seen asap again and insist furhter tests are done. She is insured so we will do everything we can. I hate seeing her like that. I will give the ideas a go for now also, just to ease things.

Maybe try a different litter. I haven't used wood pellet litter myself but I've found both megasorb and carefresh both really absorbant. Like I say, I don't know if they're more absorbent than the wood pellet litter or not but might be worth a try. Maybe someone else can advise on which is most absorbant? A nice thick layer of hay on top should also help.

E.C can cause incontinence. This might not show any other symptoms and would not hurt your bun. Kidney problems could also be something to think about.

Being covered in pee is certainly not normal and I would want further tests done by your vet. A pee and blood sample should be taken and perhaps treatment for E.C just in case would be a good idea.

If she's wee-ing on the top of her feet that definitely implies there is a medical/physical issue rather than just the litter tray not absorbing. I think a bit more investigation is probably the only way you'll get to the bottom of it, no pun intended.

In the meantime, having her shaved will make cleaning easier as then you can wipe her over with baby wipes several times per day rather than bum baths and after cleaning is you apply a thin layer of vaseline that will act as a barrier against urine scold.

Back