• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

house rabbit to outdoor bunny...

MopsyMops =]

Warren Veteran
Morning :)

I need some advice please!

So in the middle of the night around four weeks ago, I felt something soft and fluffy on my foot. Turns out oggie has now learnt to jump on my bed...

Up to this point he was free range in my room 24/7 with a large handmade hutch as a base (photos of which can be found on another post but can't link it as on my phone). However after a couple of nights with broken sleep (and accidentally elbowing him in the face) I decided to put him in the large hutch at night. Although he had lots of toys, he's clearly and understandably frustrated and so he's starting to chew the lino and at around six starts to bar chew.

I have fibromyalgia and with two very active dogs as well as studying and work, I need good sleep. As it is at the moment, I'm just so worried that I'm going to kick him etc that I'm getting broken sleep.

My first thought is to sort something out for him outside. However I feel incredibly guilty for doing so!

Now I'm back from my holidays I'm seriously looking into adopting a girlfriend and have emailed reading rspca. So if he did go outside, he would have company out there 24/7 and I'd spend time out there frequently.

What are your thoughts?

Has anybody had a house rabbit that has then gone outside?
How did you transition them to being outside?
What sort of time period do I have before it gets too cold to put him outside?

Or does anyone have any advise about the bed situation. I personally can't think of anything else I could do... He initially was jumping into the stool to get onto the bed. I moved the stool somewhere else and he quickly learnt that he could still jump up. He has plenty of things he can sit to view the whole room. The only other thing that I can think of is company or territory? As he poos all over the bed even though he bus litter trained and never poos elsewhere away from the tray.

Hope all that makes sense. I'm In my phone so sorry if some of it doesn't!

Last edited:
I use puppy panels to block off my bed which are slightly higher then the bed. It does make it slightly harder getting in and out of bed but I love having my bunny indoors so I think it's worth it.

I can't advise on the indoor to outdoor situation because I haven't experienced it but I'm sure someone can if it's definitely the route you want to go down :)

Two of mine moved outside this summer after trashing my house, the little hooligans. They have a shed and big run with tunnels, and they've been absolutely fine out there. I think Truffles prefers it, she has never been much of a people rabbit anyway. If you're going to put them outside do it soon though, so they would have a chance to acclimatise before needing to grow a winter coat.

Don't know if this would work for you but could you extend/expand his space around his hutch with puppy panels? Then he could have his own area at night that's bigger than a hutch but not the whole room?
I can't sleep with Fergie running round so he's got nearly half my room cordoned off with puppy panels, I shut him in when I go to bed and most of the time he's ok with this - he's got room to run around, toys and food :)

My trio went from living indoors to outside a couple of years ago, they were fine with it and are very happy. Selfishly, I miss them climbing on the sofa with me though :love:

If you decide to do it, do it soon, so they get used to the temperature and bed them down with lots of hay so they can snuggle up if needed. As Sam and Truffs said, Oggie will need to grow his winter coat.

Mine went outside to a shed, but I still couldn't sleep for a few nights for worrying they'd be unhappy or uncomfortable, but they really are in their element out there. They all snuggle up together to sleep too, which is so freaking cute.

If you want to keep him indoors, could you move him to a different room?

Think I will struggle for space to put either pens around my bed or make a suitable area for him.

Here is the photo of his hutch...

My bed is basically parrallel with it with only a couple of feet apart.

Unfortunately there isn't another room he can go in as the office isn't suitable for several reasons - mostly space wise.

I did have a new idea today however... perhaps if I move into the office and my room then becomes a office/rabbit room.

Argh such a tricky situation.

I have had two pairs of rabbits that have gone from indoor living to shed/aivary. Both were moved in the summer and all of them are really happy. I do miss having them indoors but they have loads more space.

Getting a friend for your rabbit is a great idea. They love rabbit company. Good luck.

Think I will struggle for space to put either pens around my bed or make a suitable area for him.

Here is the photo of his hutch...

My bed is basically parrallel with it with only a couple of feet apart.

Unfortunately there isn't another room he can go in as the office isn't suitable for several reasons - mostly space wise.

I did have a new idea today however... perhaps if I move into the office and my room then becomes a office/rabbit room.

Argh such a tricky situation.

Is this his house? It's incredible!!! :)

Back