• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about shed repair...

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
I'm hoping one of the hutch builders can advise me, my shed gets drips of water coming through when it rains heavily, only seems to affect one side of the shed and a little bit at the back. It's not a huge issue but I want to fix it before winter. So I'm wondering if I add plywood boards to the inside walls that are affected will this be ok or will it just hide the problem and cause water to get trapped and rot? Am I better using filler in the affected areas? From the outside you'd never know but from the inside you can see tiny bits of daylight where the gaps are. Also I still need to fix the roof that also has a couple if leaks when it rains heavily. If I got a couple of pieces of roofing felt could I just patch up the areas and stick it on using that creosote stuff? Don't really want to have to refelt the whole roof when it is only a couple of small areas :?

Thanks in advance :D

Seeing as no other replies i'll have a go.

Adding plywood may help hide the problem but will allow it to go damp, rot and moudly and as you can't see it you won't know or care etc.

The only advice is to try placing timber over the holes to see if that helps?
If the holes are large then filler won't work to good, any hole bigger than say 5p coin won't work to well with filler.

Filler is ideally for small holes etc.

If the roof is the issue then felting over may stop it for a while but won't last too long, if the shed is apex you could re do the felt on one side but if not then best option would be the lot.

Maybe you should get someone out to have a look see what they think?
Some shed people near you may have a look for free etc.

As you don't want to be spending money if it don't sort the problem out.

Seeing as no other replies i'll have a go.

Adding plywood may help hide the problem but will allow it to go damp, rot and moudly and as you can't see it you won't know or care etc.

The only advice is to try placing timber over the holes to see if that helps?
If the holes are large then filler won't work to good, any hole bigger than say 5p coin won't work to well with filler.

Filler is ideally for small holes etc.

If the roof is the issue then felting over may stop it for a while but won't last too long, if the shed is apex you could re do the felt on one side but if not then best option would be the lot.

Maybe you should get someone out to have a look see what they think?
Some shed people near you may have a look for free etc.

As you don't want to be spending money if it don't sort the problem out.

Hi thanks, only just remembered I posted this thread :lol: The holes in the walls are tiny, barely noticeable until it rains and drops start coming down the walls. It's just a huge problem at the moment but obviously I don't want it to get worse and in winter, drips could freeze and cause the shed to become too cold. Prob try filler then :thumb: The roof is more of an issue as there's no way of safely catching the drops so the shed floor becomes wet when it rains heavily. It's painted so it's not damaging the floor, just not very nice for the bunnies! I did think about getting someone to come and have a look as I don't think it's something id feel confident doing myself :? Thanks again :wave:

DH is a joiner.
If it's the roof and the felt is split you could patch the felt with some paint on stuff called isoflex (can get at B&Q)
If it's the roof and the felt is totally wrecked, anything other than replacing it is a false economy.
For the sides putting guttering on can help massively as otherwise the rain just runs off the roof and straight down the sides of the shed. You could fill where you can see the gaps with silicone sealant to make it water tight.
He just built a rat shed today for my friend and is thinking of branching out into hutches and bunny sheds (he built ours) :D
Hope this helps

If there are holes in the roof I'd take the felt off, put some new chipboard/plywood on top of the existing roof then put some new felt over the top. If there are holes in the sides again put some fresh wood over the top and you might wrap felt around the shed underneath the eaves

DH is a joiner.
If it's the roof and the felt is split you could patch the felt with some paint on stuff called isoflex (can get at B&Q)
If it's the roof and the felt is totally wrecked, anything other than replacing it is a false economy.
For the sides putting guttering on can help massively as otherwise the rain just runs off the roof and straight down the sides of the shed. You could fill where you can see the gaps with silicone sealant to make it water tight.
He just built a rat shed today for my friend and is thinking of branching out into hutches and bunny sheds (he built ours) :D
Hope this helps

Hi thanks for the tips - the shed is only a few months old so the felt is in good nick, it just appears to be a couple if areas where the pieces overlap, where water is getting in. I think the walls will be fine with some filler or sealant hopefully :thumb:

If there are holes in the roof I'd take the felt off, put some new chipboard/plywood on top of the existing roof then put some new felt over the top. If there are holes in the sides again put some fresh wood over the top and you might wrap felt around the shed underneath the eaves

There's no visible holes in the roof from the inside, but maybe underneath the felt there is. Maybe I could use silicone or filler in that case :?

Back