• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking for a new large open top carrier for 2 bunnies

I am looking for advice on where to get a large pet carrier with a top opening that is big enough for 2 bunnies to travel together. Really struggling to find one.

Agree with above :D I've got this in pink and it's brill, vets always comment on it and it's so easy to use the top fully opens and plenty of room for 2 average sized buns :D

Thanks everyone. I've not seen any of these whilst searching. Budget is not a concern just need something pretty big. I should have mentioned the size of buns. I'd say one is small but the other medium and both still growing. The larger lad is likely to get a bit bigger I think. We are adopting them from a rescue and will need something to collect and transport them home in and of course to then have for vet visits. Incredibly excited about getting them and just trying to get everything ready. Looking at the dimensions the zooplus nobly carrier looks biggest. I don't want them to be too squished.

Thanks everyone. I've not seen any of these whilst searching. Budget is not a concern just need something pretty big. I should have mentioned the size of buns. I'd say one is small but the other medium and both still growing. The larger lad is likely to get a bit bigger I think. We are adopting them from a rescue and will need something to collect and transport them home in and of course to then have for vet visits. Incredibly excited about getting them and just trying to get everything ready. Looking at the dimensions the zooplus nobly carrier looks biggest. I don't want them to be too squished.

Sad as I am, I collect carriers even more than I collect bunnies.... I have all three carriers:oops:
I can confirm the Zooplus one is slightly bigger than the Catit one, as in you can see it by looking at them rather than going by the dimensions only. The main reason I gave up on the Catit one is that it's very heavy, once you've got c5kg of rabbits in there too it's quite a weight. The only thing I can fault with the Zooplus one if the top doesn't always line up well and so can be a pain to fasten (as one of the reviews states). The instructions say if you store it fully assembled this isn't a problem (not sure that's true though!)

I love my catit one! My lops are about 3kg each and they fit comfortably in there, it's by far the best carrier I've ever had. I do agree with the comment that it's quite heavy though, but it does come with a good sturdy handle and a shoulder strap if required.

Sad as I am, I collect carriers even more than I collect bunnies.... I have all three carriers:oops:
Thanks bunny buddy, that's really helpful to have the opinion of someone who has all 3 to compare them. The weight factor minus the bunnies is a good consideration too.

Thanks again for your replies everyone.

Ferplast do a range of pet carriers which has top and front openings called Atlas Open. They come in different sizes: Atlas 10: 23 x 48 x 32.5cm; Atlas 20: 32 x 58 x 37cm; Atlas 30: 38 x 40 x 60cm.

I have one and they are very good, does everything that is requirements of a carrier. I believe mine was the Atlas 20 and I get George and Harry (Dwarf Lops - approx. 4-5lb each) in comfortably with plenty of room for them to turn around and lie down and stretch out if they choose too.

I believe the lady from The Rabbit Crossing only recommends these carriers as well.

Edit: Oops forgot to say you can buy them from Amazon, Pets at Home, etc.

I hate the Zooplus carrier with a passion - sorry! One of my boarders has this and it's a nightmare to get shut, as has already been mentioned it doesn't always line up very well, and they have lost some of the clips on theirs so that doesn't help either. I prefer some of the more rigid heavier duty plastic carriers. The other issue I have is it's easy for the first bunny to hop out whilst you're trying to get the second bunny in so this one wouldn't be my first choice.

Ferplast do a range of pet carriers which has top and front openings called Atlas Open.

Thanks, just looked at these again online, saw them in P@H but didn't realise they had a top opening too. The handle looks like it is in the bars of the type opening? When the bunnies are in there does the weight not put strain on the wire top?

Really appreciate all the advice first hand :)

Thanks, just looked at these again online, saw them in P@H but didn't realise they had a top opening too. The handle looks like it is in the bars of the type opening? When the bunnies are in there does the weight not put strain on the wire top?

I've had no problems with mine and I have found that all the connections/clips/doors/wire top are really sturdy and secure. The whole case is very rigid and so easy to clean. I would recommend it to anyone.

Although it is slightly more expensive than some of the cheaper ones, but you can normally find it on offer on the internet.

My Rupert is half giant, and April is normal sized, and they both fit in the catit cabrio. They don't have loads of room, but they usually only want to cuddle up together anyway.

It does get a lot of compliments, and it's cheaper if you get it in orange colour.

It kind of looks like a spaceship :lol:

Last edited:
I have been looking at this one too. It's had some good reviews. Stupid question but I was thinking of getting it and I would be taking my bunnies to be neutered together, surely they wouldn't be able to mate in here whilst taking them to the vets?

We have an Atlas Open too and I agree with Snowflake-George - very sturdy and well-built. You're right that the handle is on the bars, as are the clips which hold the top shut, but the wire grille is sufficiently strong so it's never been a problem. I've had up to about 5 kg of bunnies in mine so far.

I have this pet carrier from curver. It is 51x38x33 (cm), opens from top & has a smaller opening, so you can pet your bunny. It is made of very high quality plastic & is very easy to clean. I bought it for aprox. €50. :)

34692_00616-P16%20(7)_usa.jpg

I have this pet carrier from curver. It is 51x38x33 (cm), opens from top & has a smaller opening, so you can pet your bunny. It is made of very high quality plastic & is very easy to clean. I bought it for aprox. €50. :)

34692_00616-P16%20(7)_usa.jpg

Wow ...I have never seen that carrier before. It's cool!

I used the catit cabrio when I had two buns and while I did love it, it was very very heavy with two 2.3 kilo buns inside.

I'm back to using a smaller carrier now that I only have one bun and it's a pleasure to carry around. But that said I will go back to using the catit if I ever have a second bun.

But it's something to be aware of if someone has a bad back. It's very heavy.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

I can confirm the Zooplus one is slightly bigger than the Catit one, as in you can see it by looking at them rather than going by the dimensions only. The main reason I gave up on the Catit one is that it's very heavy, once you've got c5kg of rabbits in there too it's quite a weight. The only thing I can fault with the Zooplus one if the top doesn't always line up well and so can be a pain to fasten (as one of the reviews states). The instructions say if you store it fully assembled this isn't a problem (not sure that's true though!)

Love that you have all three :lol::thumb: I have the zooplus one and so far its been a great carrier for my piggies and have had no issues with the lid :thumb:

Love that you have all three :lol::thumb: I have the zooplus one and so far its been a great carrier for my piggies and have had no issues with the lid :thumb:

Do you store it assembled? I seem to go through phases where I can't get them to fit together well and other phases where they do okay.:roll:

I've given up on the Catit one as I just find to too heavy but use the other two frequently. the Zooplus one I use for vet trips and the Pet Planet one I use for carrying the bunnies to and from 'grass time'. I find them easier to round up into the carriers as they are very open, maybe they don't feel so enclosed in them.... but like for them to feel enclosed in the vets waiting room as I'm sure they must feel safer.

Back