• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I do wonder sometimes...

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
...when you try to give someone some friendly advice, its immediately met with hostility and aggression?

I just saw a girl try to give a lady some advice on not giving her baby rabbits lettuce as it can cause bloat and GI stasis. The response was ''I've had bunnies for 9 years and its never hurt them'' and then eventually elevated to ''I didn't ask for your advice did I?'' and ''My bunnies are fine''

Its terrible to think that people won't take friendly advice...people are so aggressive nowadays...its getting worse..

...when you try to give someone some friendly advice, its immediately met with hostility and aggression?

I just saw a girl try to give a lady some advice on not giving her baby rabbits lettuce as it can cause bloat and GI stasis. The response was ''I've had bunnies for 9 years and its never hurt them'' and then eventually elevated to ''I didn't ask for your advice did I?'' and ''My bunnies are fine''

Its terrible to think that people won't take friendly advice...people are so aggressive nowadays...its getting worse..

They get defensive as they don't want to think that they're wrong. Some people also find it rude if they haven't asked... which is a silly mentality!

I think that I'd rather know about something than not, I suppose it depends on how it was said as well? If the girl had just assumed they didn't know anything about rabbits, or if they'd mentioned lettuce and then she stepped in?

I wish there were informative adverts on animals throughout the day on TV, such as simple foods to not feed certain animals (chocolate for dogs for example) and housing/exercise requirements. Would sure make people notice :lol:

I do agree with your post :)

I do like to get advice, generally, and do try to take it on board, but I really dislike certain tones of voice; I'll listen to what you have to say, and see for myself if you're right, but I'll probably think you a :censored: too.

I'm not being aggressive or defensive, but I fed my rabbits lettuce just yesterday :wave:

I believe lettuce to be a misunderstood vegetable where rabbits are concerned. My little dental bun can manage chopped lettuce where he struggles with grass, kale or greens.

Sometimes you catch people on an 'off' day. Make allowances. We all have them :love:

I try to remember that if I offer advice that is all I can do. If the person chooses to ignore it then that is their prerogative. Sometimes it is hard not to make a comment if you hear/read something that is obviously incorrect and could cause potential harm to an animal, even if your opinion is not asked for. I would rather give the opinion and get told to :censored: off than to say nothing and then something awful happened.

I try to remember that if I offer advice that is all I can do. If the person chooses to ignore it then that is their prerogative. Sometimes it is hard not to make a comment if you hear/read something that is obviously incorrect and could cause potential harm to an animal, even if your opinion is not asked for. I would rather give the opinion and get told to :censored: off than to say nothing and then something awful happened.

This is what I think too, I would be devastated if something awful happened but I had been given the chance to change it previously.

Just to be clear, the girl was actually advising the woman not to give her baby rabbits Iceberg lettuce specifically. She said nothing about other types of lettuce.

The poor girl was basically sworn at and told to clear off by the end. I think that some people just like arguments and look for any opportunity to turn something into a barny...

I'm not being aggressive or defensive, but I fed my rabbits lettuce just yesterday :wave:

I believe lettuce to be a misunderstood vegetable where rabbits are concerned. My little dental bun can manage chopped lettuce where he struggles with grass, kale or greens.

Sometimes you catch people on an 'off' day. Make allowances. We all have them :love:

Iceberg lettuce or the darker stuff?

I think that if something works for your rabbit, then it works and as long as there are no health issues, then it's down to you at the end of the day and if you feel comfortable with it then that's your choice.

Though, if there is proven research into the negativity of certain foods then I personally wouldn't risk it :)

Those who know they are wrong, shout the loudest.

I can't deal with people's ignorance anymore. Recently I came across (don't ask me how, I never actively look for things like it) people who defended pet shop and bad breeder advice (really awful advice but things that would be pretty basic knowledge to RU rabbit/hamster owners or easily found on the internet) until their fingers have stabbed holes through their keyboards and they can do it all they want but the fact is they don't understand through their sheer ignorance and if they can't do any research for themselves, get their heads out of their backsides or back away from Victorian times then they usually won't be told otherwise.

I will help where I can but otherwise I just step away as it eats away at me.

Last edited:
An example just now...

Saw someone's advertisement for their business had a spelling mistake, sent a private message to say...

"Hi, don't want to be rude but just wanted to tell you that your advertisement has a spelling mistake in it, didn't want anyone else to point it out all the time for you, maybe they will give you a refund if it was a company that made the mistake?"

To be met with...

"To be honest I think you are being rude I'm trying to get some business and your taking time out to tell me about a printing error. I ordered the flyers off a company that made the error, have you not got anything better to do than pick fault with something that doesn't concern you rude cow".

I got really angry and tried to send this...

"It's called constructive criticism! Actually wanted my windows done but as you've overreacted to a polite message, I will not be using you.
Whatever you post on a public page, it's everyone's business. Best of luck with yours!"

But couldn't send it because he blocked me.

Just got so annoyed, it looks silly where there are mistakes and I was not being rude in any way. I suppose some would argue that but if you're advertising your business on a public page, spelling mistakes are carelessness (I understand if you have problems spelling, but get someone to check it over!) and don't want a careless person dealing with my fragile windows!

I also don't believe that the company made the mistake, seeing as he made so many in his replies to me.

Sorry, emotional today :oops:

Iceberg lettuce or the darker stuff?

I think that if something works for your rabbit, then it works and as long as there are no health issues, then it's down to you at the end of the day and if you feel comfortable with it then that's your choice.

Though, if there is proven research into the negativity of certain foods then I personally wouldn't risk it :)

I have never actually fed iceberg lettuce as I don't eat it myself. I have probably fed all the other types though ..

Could you please point me in the direction of the proven research into the negativity of lettuce?

An example just now...

Saw someone's advertisement for their business had a spelling mistake, sent a private message to say...

"Hi, don't want to be rude but just wanted to tell you that your advertisement has a spelling mistake in it, didn't want anyone else to point it out all the time for you, maybe they will give you a refund if it was a company that made the mistake?"

To be met with...

"To be honest I think you are being rude I'm trying to get some business and your taking time out to tell me about a printing error. I ordered the flyers off a company that made the error, have you not got anything better to do than pick fault with something that doesn't concern you rude cow".

I got really angry and tried to send this...

"It's called constructive criticism! Actually wanted my windows done but as you've overreacted to a polite message, I will not be using you.
Whatever you post on a public page, it's everyone's business. Best of luck with yours!"

But couldn't send it because he blocked me.

Just got so annoyed, it looks silly where there are mistakes and I was not being rude in any way. I suppose some would argue that but if you're advertising your business on a public page, spelling mistakes are carelessness (I understand if you have problems spelling, but get someone to check it over!) and don't want a careless person dealing with my fragile windows!

I also don't believe that the company made the mistake, seeing as he made so many in his replies to me.

Sorry, emotional today :oops:

I would have found your comment helpful, as I'm sure I would get MORE business if I proved I could spell correctly!

I do find that people are very quick to throw the word 'rude' back at you .. You have to let it be water off a duck's back, as you know yourself you were only trying to help :wave:

I have never actually fed iceberg lettuce as I don't eat it myself. I have probably fed all the other types though ..

Could you please point me in the direction of the proven research into the negativity of lettuce?

It's iceberg lettuce that is the problem, it's mainly water. That's why people probably look on lettuce as bad but it's iceberg lettuce that needs to be avoided completely, I used to feed romaine but stopped and just stuck to forage.

This is from RSPCA website -

"Myth #3 - Rabbits eat lettuce

Diets shouldn’t be lettuce based.

Rabbits shouldn’t eat some lettuces (e.g. iceberg) as they contain laudanum which can be harmful in large quantities.

Some lettuce is "worse" than others - light-coloured varieties are high in water and have very little nutritional value, so are not recommended.

Darker, more leafy and fibrous varieties (e.g. romaine lettuce) should be fed, as they are higher in fibre and actual nutrients. Introduce gradually to avoid digestive problems.

Large amounts of lettuce, for a rabbit unused to it, can cause digestive upsets."

I haven't looked into it. I was just saying that if I had seen that there has been negative outcomes of feeding certain foods and things, then I wouldn't risk it :)

I have to 'own up' and say a previous bunny of mine was fed on plenty of whole carrots and ice burg lettuce all the time. Apart from grass this was the only other food she had other than muesli. She was a very healthy rabbit until neighbour decided to let her escape while we were on holiday :(

Obviously I now know better and my buns have pellets, hay, loads of forage and the correct diet!
If I hadn't joined this site I would have continued with an inappropriate diet. I still wouldn't be rude to people though. No excuse.

It's iceberg lettuce that is the problem, it's mainly water. That's why people probably look on lettuce as bad but it's iceberg lettuce that needs to be avoided completely, I used to feed romaine but stopped and just stuck to forage.

This is from RSPCA website -

"Myth #3 - Rabbits eat lettuce

Diets shouldn’t be lettuce based.

Rabbits shouldn’t eat some lettuces (e.g. iceberg) as they contain laudanum which can be harmful in large quantities.

Some lettuce is "worse" than others - light-coloured varieties are high in water and have very little nutritional value, so are not recommended.

Darker, more leafy and fibrous varieties (e.g. romaine lettuce) should be fed, as they are higher in fibre and actual nutrients. Introduce gradually to avoid digestive problems.

Large amounts of lettuce, for a rabbit unused to it, can cause digestive upsets."

Lettuce doesn't contain laudanum http://www.dried-vegetables.co.uk/lettuce/ . It contains lactucin which is a component of lactucarian.

Also, lettuce contains water - is that bad for rabbits? Sometimes people ask for veggie recommendations that contain a lot of water, e.g. cucumber.

Lettuce has varying amounts of nutrition. Iceberg has less than some others. I don't understand how water in food causes bloat. I would love to know if there's a scientific paper on the merits and demerits of lettuce. ...:)

I think most of the problems with iceberg lettuce relate to its low nutritional value, it is mostly water, if rabbits fill up on it they are not getting enough nutrients.

It is mostly water, whilst water Isn't bad for our bunnies not getting enough fiber is! So I think the problem lies where owners are feeding their bunnies up on this stuff whilst not providing a high fiber diet.

Lettuce doesn't contain laudanum http://www.dried-vegetables.co.uk/lettuce/ . It contains lactucin which is a component of lactucarian.

Also, lettuce contains water - is that bad for rabbits? Sometimes people ask for veggie recommendations that contain a lot of water, e.g. cucumber.

Lettuce has varying amounts of nutrition. Iceberg has less than some others. I don't understand how water in food causes bloat. I would love to know if there's a scientific paper on the merits and demerits of lettuce. ...:)

I have no idea what that means.. :lol:
What Sarah1991 said though, if they fill up on it they won't eat hay etc, which is much more important than something with high water content. Not that I really care like, I don't feed it :lol:

Last edited:
Back