• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good Rearguard help and advice from my vets

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
My vets were really great getting information on how to use rearguard and what to do with rabbits with frequent dirty bottoms that need cleaning.

A normal application of rearguard offers protection from fly strike for 8 weeks. You apply to the rabbits rear end, above and below the tail, around the bottom of the rump and nearly half way up the stomach area.

I had several questions I needed answering.

1. What about a normal healthy rabbit who can clean themselves all over ?

My vets rang the manufacturers who said to leave one of those cones on for several days. My vets agreed that was not really going to be workable, so I didn't rearguard Bandit as he has no health problems and keeps himself clean. A cone on his head would drive him crazy. Only reason I considered rearguard was he lives outside.

2. What do you do if a rabbit needs washing or sponging down from a mucky bottom ?

My vets said the manufacturers advice is this. 1. If you have to bathe them in water, rather than sponging within 4 days of the application, reapply the rearguard as it will no longer have much effect. 2. If you only need to sponge wash they should be OK but it will still not be as effective. If you have to frequently sponge wash, reapply a few weeks later. Only reapply on the areas washed or frequently sponged down.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back