• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Confused about showing bunnies?

I'm not completely sure that anyone on here really does any showing.

Personally I never would, I can't see how it benefits the rabbit at all. I think taking it around to crowded situations and sticking it in a tiny crampt show cage so that people can peer in sounds horribly stressful.

Plus don't show rabbits have to be unneutered? If that is the case then I really don't like it, it is dangerous for a female to remain unspayed and anyway an unneutered bun is likely to have to live alone, my rabbits are all neutered because it is what is best for them and until very recently when we lost a bun they were bonded into pairs and given lots of space and I loved seeing them just be rabbits. I don't like doing anything that might stress them out unless it has a direct benefit to them such as vet visits and nail clipping ect ect.

I don't think a lot of people if any at all here show rabbits, generally most here are against it as it puts rabbits under unnecessary stress and puts them into a position they would rather not be in. (i.e strange place, strange rabbits, being poked and prodded for the purpose of winning a prize) it also promotes breeding rabbits to get the most ''perfect'' one...which noone here agrees with.

Showing rabbits is for the persons benefit and not the rabbits. This is why you generally won't find many if any at all here who show their bunnies.

I realize all of this, and I'm not interested in showing my buns. I was just curious about how they do it. My bunnies's mother and father were show bunnies, with really weird and fancy names x3 but my bunnies are strictly furry friends and no more.

I realize all of this, and I'm not interested in showing my buns. I was just curious about how they do it. My bunnies's mother and father were show bunnies, with really weird and fancy names x3 but my bunnies are strictly furry friends and no more.

I think it just basically works on a ''bunnies are put into cages and judged'' basis...

Depending on the breed rabbits are judges against a set of standards. Such as how wide the gap between their ears is, how long their ears are, are their ears curved at the end, are their ears in a straight line beside their eyes? all kinds of weird things.

Personally I think its very strange, no bunny is ''perfect'' but they are all beautiful.

Some of my bunnies have come from BRC breeders and I've been truly appalled at what I've seen. I naively thought that if they were BRC members, they'd be really good, but not the case at all. I've never been to a show and I'm sure before I joined here and seen what I've seen, I'd have really enjoyed seeing all the different bunnies, but now I'd find it too upsetting. Bunnies get picked up by their ears and flipped on their backs to be inspected. Back home, they're kept alone in tiny cages unless it's breeding time or the doe has kits. Some are "better" than others - Blackavar was a former stud bunny whose partner had just died so he was up for sale, but he and other bunnies did get a backyard to play in and were named and did seem to be cared for. Then there was the one I got my girls from who didn't even believe in getting veterinary treatment for poorly buns :cry:

Basically you have a breed standard which says a certain breed should look a certain way (eg. fur colour, ear position), be a certain weight and feel a certain way. A judge usually starts with all of the babies of a particular breed on the table, picks out the best one, then the adults. Sometimes the best of that breed might get a CC and if a rabbit gets so many CC's they get a 'championship'. Then breeds of a certain section are compared (Lop, rex, fur, fancy) and so you get like best lop, best rex etc. then best in show.

Exhibitors usually breed their own rabbits, breeding the winners to try and get babies even closer to the breed standard, if any look promising then a metal ring with a unique code is placed on their leg

As for the actual set up well it's basically a load of very small metal cages (1ft by 1ft I think unless it's for a giant) that the rabbits are kept in whilst they're not out being judged

As for the actual set up well it's basically a load of very small metal cages (1ft by 1ft I think unless it's for a giant) that the rabbits are kept in whilst they're not out being judged

You're spot on there :cry: I think the giants get 3 or 4ft long cages depending on the breeder. The ones in 1ft cubes is just so heartbreaking they can't do anything at all :cry:

You're spot on there :cry: I think the giants get 3 or 4ft long cages depending on the breeder. The ones in 1ft cubes is just so heartbreaking they can't do anything at all :cry:

Yeah it's not ideal, although the poor things are probably used to the lack of space, I knew many breeders that kept their rabbits in 2ft cages :( I've only got a few exhibitors left on facebook although it does sound like the BRC is kind of collapsing, but then again something else will probably just be set up in its place, hopefully with stricter welfare rules but I doubt it

Back