• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald chin

iggyperdyandme

Alpha Buck
I noticed earlier this evening that Betty has a little bald chin. She has recently started having a bowl for drinking and her appetite is all normal.
She has tooth root issues but her teeth were fine when checked just under a month ago.

We has a rabbit who had snuffles and towards the end she developed baldness and dribbling due to her infection. I'm rather scared it's this.

Could it just be she has made her chin bald drinking?

I will of course check with a vet but calling at 11pm may be a bit over kill for a bald spot.

I have just come on here to ask about this! Over the last week or so my bun has started to develop a bald patch under her chin. Her teeth were checked about 5 weeks ago and were fine. I'm wondering if this is over grooming or the start of a problem so will be watching this thread with interest.

I would suspect the bald patch is due to drooling from dental problems or something similar. Remember not all the teeth can actually be seen during a conscious examination.

I'd pop them both to the vets tomorrow for another check up..if nothing can be seen (dental or other reason for the baldness) it might be worth asking your vet to do an unconscious examination.

No drooling or wet mouth visible but she does seem to be grooming herself a lot in this area. Can't really fit in a vets visit until Friday as OH has hospital appointments for the next few days but if you think it requires OOH vets then I will ring them up. She is eating plenty of hay and all normal food plus drinking as usual so don't think it is a dental issue but will take any advice offered as many of you have so much more knowledge than me.

May have slightly been over anxious. This morning her chin looks fine. She has very fluffy lion head white fur which apparently looks clear when wet but having a good look this morning in the light, her
chin is still fluffy. :roll:

She has regular vet checks for her teeth anyway cus she has stupid tooth roots.

I think she prob just had a big drink with her whole face in the water inc her chin and feet. :roll:

Hope your bunny is ok too katp. I remember someone telling me that if a rabbit is still eating and dribbling you have hopefully caught it in time. :wave:

I had a bun that had dental problems but she would start showing symptoms from the tiniest of spurs, some weren't even noticeable until they knocked her out and had a proper look.
My other bun, Fiver, started having a wet chin but his teeth didn't look too bad. When I booked him in it turned out he had an ulcer in his mouth from a spur that was rubbing. :( He was still eating perfectly normally and seemed happy within himself which is why I postponed the dental, thinking he was ok.

It could be that she is getting wet from the bowl. Does she have a dewlap? Sometimes these can get wet and actually get infected.

I had a bun that had dental problems but she would start showing symptoms from the tiniest of spurs, some weren't even noticeable until they knocked her out and had a proper look.
My other bun, Fiver, started having a wet chin but his teeth didn't look too bad. When I booked him in it turned out he had an ulcer in his mouth from a spur that was rubbing. :( He was still eating perfectly normally and seemed happy within himself which is why I postponed the dental, thinking he was ok.

It could be that she is getting wet from the bowl. Does she have a dewlap? Sometimes these can get wet and actually get infected.

Thanks for the reply. She looks hairy and fluffy again today, she has no dewlap but a hairy mane of fluff. It looks pretty healthy but I will have the vets have an examine anyways. Betty's dental issues are in her roots last time we went. She is a blooming good eater of hay which is a god send!

Hope your bunnies are ok now?

Back