• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilemma with Heidi :S *UPDATE - She's back in!!!*

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Been to the vets with Heidi again this morning and her wound is looking good, almost there, just needs to 'close up' a little more over her sensitive bits :oops: The vet suggested I gradually increase the time she spends with the others in the shed but not put them together permanently yet. She said to watch out for her showing dominant behaviour that might cause it to happen again :( It's very likely she will continue to hump heads therefore risking it happening again. But the alternative is to keep her permanently separated :cry: I really don't want that, she has seemed so miserable, I don't feel that it's fair on her at all, she's only young and the thought of her living the rest of her life alone while she watches her friends enjoying eachothers company :( I've let her have access to the shed and run now whilst I'm at home and so far there's been no issues. Skye looked a bit guarded when she saw Heidi in the run (it's the one place I've kept her out of) but otherwise fine. It's a horrible decision as I just want her to be able to enjoy the life I've worked so hard to provide for them ALL. But I know that if this happened again I'd likely have to let her go :cry: The treatment and all the messing she has had to put up with has been awful for her and me and I wouldn't want to put her through that again. For now I'm just going to let her spend more time together with them and see how it goes... I'm just hoping that a nip like she got is a rarity and most head humps will just be brushed off by the others.

Last edited:
Yes I think I would agree with your decision. Is it at certain times that she humps like meal times. If it was you might be able to find a way around that one. Did she used to do it when she was living with Dash?

Yes I think I would agree with your decision. Is it at certain times that she humps like meal times. If it was you might be able to find a way around that one. Did she used to do it when she was living with Dash?

Thanks for your reply :wave: The times I've seen her do it is in the run, Dash is def the boss at mealtimes so that's not an issue with her. It's so hard, I was talking to my mum about it and she said 'unless you rehome her'. That hadn't even crossed my mind but I really think wherever she is she'd be miserable alone :( It seems such a waste after all I went through to bond her with Dash and then into the quad.

I've let Heidi in with the others again this evening for a few hours, with full access to shed, run and pen on the grass and they've been fine, a bit of chasing about but I think a lot of it is excitement, she just goes back to happy Heidi! When I went back to the shed she was in a litter tray with Summer and she obviously knew it was time to go back, and she bowed right down and tried to hide underneath Summer :( I have to use a towel to get her or she just kicks out and escapes (which is potentially very harmful for her) so I put the towel over her but couldn't get my hands around to pick her up as Summer was pushing her body against her :( It was like they were both scared but thought if they stick together they'll be fine. Felt horrible :cry: Was tempted to just leave them but thought I'd better not risk it just yet. I got her in her sectioned off part then went to change water bowls and when I got back she was properly outstretched on the floor! Not in a happy way tho she looked proper grumpy! I think at the weekend I'll just have to take the plunge and hope for the best :?

Well tonight I've decided to let Heidi stay with the others... She's been out with them again this evening and she has been humping Dash's head again :roll: I saw her in the run and tried to tell her off but she stopped then just went back! I just went to put her back in her 'section' and gave her a check over, she looks fine down there :oops: I was putting the barrier up and I just thought u know what she's prob humping more because she's been separated so she's over excited when she gets back in with them and she's also marking her territory, she's been chinning everything :lol: so I think this is just her way of marking Dash as hers as he will have lost her smell and gained more of Summer and Skye's... So I've let her stay with them. I just have to hope that while she may well keep humping his head, it's probably rare that Dash would bite. I'm just going to have to keep an eye on her and if she does get bitten I will hopefully notice before it gets infected. Hope I've done the right thing :? I just think whenever I do it, that risk is always going to be there :(

I agree with what you've done. There's no other way around it really. Was the Vet sure it was a bite? Anyway, fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

Thanks both for the replies :wave: It really is so difficult I don't think there's really a 'good' option :? The options are - separate her permanently for her to be lonely, rehome her to live alone - same issue plus I don't want to lose her! Or take the risk and hope for the best :? It means I will worry for the rest of her life but at least she'll be happy.

Yes it was def a bite :(

I'd say you've done the right thing. Just keep checking her :)

She may calm down on head humping Dash when she has settled back in.
Maizie and Daisy have started head humping each other :roll: I'm checking them every day because of what happened to Heidi!

I'd say you've done the right thing. Just keep checking her :)

She may calm down on head humping Dash when she has settled back in.
Maizie and Daisy have started head humping each other :roll: I'm checking them every day because of what happened to Heidi!

That's what I thought I think she will calm down. Poor u we've made u paranoid!! :shock: Best to keep a check tho, if I'd have found it sooner it probably wouldn't have got so bad :cry: The little devil wouldn't let me check her this morn though, now she can get in the run she's going to make it difficult :roll: :lol:

Back