• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mxy in wild rabbits - how does the population regenerate?

weeble

Sorry for the weird title I wasnt sure how to word it. We had a very bad case of mxy in the wild rabbits at the yard at the beginning of the year and lost a lot of buns. I then didnt see any/many wildies for a month or so but the last few days I have seen quite a few healthy looking adults.

Are these likely to be new to the area buns or existing adults that have escaped or survived the mxy?

Sorry for the weird title I wasnt sure how to word it. We had a very bad case of mxy in the wild rabbits at the yard at the beginning of the year and lost a lot of buns. I then didnt see any/many wildies for a month or so but the last few days I have seen quite a few healthy looking adults.

Are these likely to be new to the area buns or existing adults that have escaped or survived the mxy?

I *think* buns are quite terratorial (in that they stay in the same area) so I'd guess they're either older babies who escaped, or adults who survived?

Some Rabbits have a natural immunity, some contract it and survive and are therefore almost certainly going to be immune for life. The adults were probably born this Spring and thus missed the worst of the outbreak. I think it is also possible that they may also have acquired some immunity from their Mother if she was herself immune.

Some Rabbits have a natural immunity, some contract it and survive and are therefore almost certainly going to be immune for life. The adults were probably born this Spring and thus missed the worst of the outbreak. I think it is also possible that they may also have acquired some immunity from their Mother if she was herself immune.

Oh thats good news then I like to think they were 'my' original rabbits. We did have some black wildies too and they seem to have all gone

They are probably mostly locals as Jane says, though some may be the outsiders or wanderers who are at the bottom of the social structure in neighbouring warrens. Often new rabbits are more likely to be allowed in if there has been a large reduction in population.

Back