• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thoughts on setup now? Have added some bits.

BexPets

Warren Scout
Hello, all :wave: I made a thread about this a while ago and had some really useful feedback on improving my setup. Unfortunately I could not get permission to construct an aviary in this space, as in time my family will want to reclaim this walkway between garage and gate and regularly bring bikes, bins, etc, through here or have the gate open for extended amounts of time.

But I did manage to find some other things to add. Thoughts? Any feedback/criticism appreciated.

Would it be better to have more than one waterbottle in this space?

Before:

Now:

Thank you :)

The more space the better and i like how there's different 'rooms' to explore. Love the digging pit. :thumb:

Thank you!

Only thing with the digging pit is that its not that deep and the soil isn't very soft. Depending on how the rabbits take to it, I might invest in some proper compost. All the ground in our garden is hard, dry clay!

I've recently added some trays filled with turf to my outdoor asrea for my buns to nibble and dig if they wish. I've only got a flagstone yard so it's a good way to give access to grass. I'll try and take some photos tomorrow. You could give them a planter box filled with soil with a step up to it if you want something deeper.

The more space the better and i like how there's different 'rooms' to explore. Love the digging pit. :thumb:

I echo this completely! I really want to do a digging pit like this, and like you my soil is rock hard clay (or squelchy suck-you-in clay when it rains) so I think I'll get some compost and put it in there.

I would probably add another water bottle, just so if they're comfy in one spot they don't have to go all the way back up top to get some water.

You're doing great work extending it out and giving them more space, well done :wave:

Love the digging pit - great idea! You probably find mixing the clay with compost or possibly even sand would make a very nice consistency for digging. Just straight compost tends to be a bit light and not hold tunnels well.

At the moment they seem to be using the digging tray as a litterbox instead, so it looks like I'm going to be changing it regularly. They do seem to enjoy sitting/lying in the soft soil rather than on the hard concrete.

I'm trying to find the 'optimum setup' that they can happily exist in for up to a week without break when I'm at uni and my family take over.. Would you be happy leaving a pair of rabbits in here for a while without taking them out in another run/inside?

Also, while Dino still enjoys the upstairs hutch and likes running up and down the ramp for fun, Wilma can't access it. I don't know if I should shut it off or not. They don't sit separately, Dino doesn't stay up there long or sleep up there, but he enjoys being able to run up there from time to time. Thoughts?

Last edited:
If Dino enjoys running up and down I wouldn't shut it off as long as it's not causing any problems with their bond, but I would consider how you can ensure the downstairs is suitable for permanent living, bearing in mind that one of them can't access it. So are there nice snug areas with bedding, and lots of hay to munch downstairs? There might well be places in the other hideaways that aren't visible in the photos, but some litter trays with hay in them around the downstairs would add some extra enrichment and make it nicer for Wilma.

You could also try changing the ramp for a series of boxes of different heights, it might be that Wilma is ok with jumping on individual boxes rather than climbing a ramp. Has she been vet checked in case there's a problem with her mobility that can be improved?

I think it's fine as a space to leave them in for a week without additional exercise space, but it looks from the photo as if there are some areas where a predator could get in? It might just be that it's not clear from the photo though, but I would suggest taking a good look round and checking that something like a fox couldn't drag different parts away from each other, lift lids up or wiggle through gaps, for instance.

Good luck :D

The bedroom of the red hutch with the sloping black roof is where the hay is kept; we're having a lot of rain at the moment so keeping it under cover. I think the rabbits sleep in the wooden green shelter in between the runs, I guess because they have easy exit routes. I cover the run at night in extra wooden boards in case it rains - I'm looking into plastic tarpulin - which make the roof weightier and more solid and protects from weather.

I've tried making staircases with boxes and crates but Wilma won't even attempt them anymore. She has a cataract in one eye which the vet doesn't want to remove, but which affects her vision on one side and impairs her balance. Saying that, I just think she was never used to ramps before she came to me because she only learned what they were for after bonding her with Dino, at which point she often jumped off halfway or avoided them completely. She's a very large and heavy rabbit and I suppose she doesn't feel secure on a 'narrow' ramp.

The run is quite secure. The only bit I would question is over the digging pit where the large board is resting, but that is a lot heavier than it looks and the length especially would make it difficult for a small creature to manoeuvre. It leans so that the weight is pushing down on the top of the run. It takes two people to drag any individual run or hutch, so I think its safe from a fox. The lid of the large hutch is covered in wooden boards at night, but is still very heavy to lift without them. The wood has warped since I bought it, which is why it won't close properly.

Back