• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

please look at my indoor setup and advise

maggyrose

Warren Scout
The rabbits have the full use of downstairs in my house, they mainly live in utility room which is 2m x 4m roughly, they occasionally explore kitchen and hall.

My issue is that they have 2 trays for peeing in, but tend to also wee in the big base of an old indoor cage I keep for emergencies or if one rabbit needs separating etc.

How do I stop these wees from happening anywhere but in the trays? With Arthur having issues at moment I need to keep his bum as dry as possible, its both of them that wee out of the litter trays, I have seen them both!

I was thinking of just getting rid of the big base and having just the under bed storage box/tray free standing??

setup_zps566839dd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Your set up is very similar to mine, sorry I can't think of a solution as oscar pees out of the tray all the time lately. I have found though that lining with newspaper then putting one of those puppy training pads/pampers bed mats on top of it helps keep bunny drier, oscar sometimes nibbles his when he is having a hissy fit but the the wee just goes through to the newspapers but the pads are really good at keeping wee off their fur. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Personally I would get rid of the 2 small trays and use the cage base as their litter tray.

Actually, yes I agree except oscar still has the corner tray, just not the underbed one, this would give them more grazing room. Also, I don't use wood shavings, just loads of hay.

Last edited:
I'd remove the tray and see if that helps. Might just be it's too similar they aren't recognising them as separate areas. Also, paper based cat litter tends to be a bit less messy/more absorbent than wood shavings :)

Do they ever wee on the tilled floor? If not, I'd get rid of the cage base and just use the under bed storage box for the litter tray.

I learned on here that wood shavings can cause respiratory problems so have done away with them. Lots of people just use newspaper topped with hay or if you need something more absorbant then you could try megasorb, wood pellet cat litter or carefresh (my prefered choice).

Mopping up accidents with kitchen roll as soon as you can and putting these in the tray can help. Also, when you change the tray, putting a little soiled litter back helps the buns know where they're supposed to go.

thanks all :wave:

I use wood based cat litter too, introducing it at moment, just havent topped the wood shavings off with it yet - shall do so now!

No they dont wee on the tiled floor at all, thats why im thinking of getting rid of the base completely :?

Is it ok to just trial it and see? Or will changing things too much/often cause more confusion?

thanks all :wave:

I use wood based cat litter too, introducing it at moment, just havent topped the wood shavings off with it yet - shall do so now!

No they dont wee on the tiled floor at all, thats why im thinking of getting rid of the base completely :?

Is it ok to just trial it and see? Or will changing things too much/often cause more confusion?

I'd either...

1) use the cage base as one big litter tray
2) remove the cage base and use just the 2 smaller trays
3) remove the cage base and use the underbed storage box and buy another storage box as another tray (just because the corner one might get messy without the cage base)

It's definitely okay to just trial it, as long as your bunnies aren't visually impaired etc. They'll probably have a good investigate and might be a little hesitant but they cope very well with minor change, and their remaining tray(s) will still smell like them.

I move the furniture/trays in my bunnies shed around every few weeks - they seem to enjoy the change to be honest :D

Back