• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pregnant Rabbit

elsdon

New Kit
Hi

I am new to this forum just after some advice.

I have rehomed what I was told to be a pregnant doe due next week from an irresponsible owner who was advertising her as pregnant and free to good home. We were actually lookin for a neutered doe as a companion for our 1 year old buck but when I seen her advertised we couldn't resist and also with fear of her falling into the wrong hands being pregnant. The plan is to obviously keep the separated until she has had her babies find responsible adequate homes for the young and get her neutered to then live a happy life with our rabbit.

I have owned rabbits before but never experienced a pregnant one as we have always neutered. To me she looks relatively slim/normal in size with no obvious signs of about to give birth. I will take her to the vet anyway to get her checked over, but she does appear to be in good health, I'm just worried about stressing her out before her kits are due even more so than being put in new surroundings.

We have put her in a quiet area at the top of the garden for now, and she does not want to be handled which is understandable.

I'm just after advice.... How can I tell she actually is pregnant? Does she need any additions to her diet? Do I need to provide a nest box? Any help appreciated. Many thanks

I know next to nothing about pregnant does but I just wanted to say that I think what you did is wonderful :love: she's a very lucky bunny to have been saved by you

Very often you can't tell a doe is pregnant but make sure she has plenty of hay to make her nest with. Some recommend a nesting box others don't. When she has had her babies she will really appreciate grass and dandelions etc or Spring Greens. I hope everything goes well for her.

Hello,
The only way to tell if a rabbit is pregnant is to either have a scan or to palpate the rabbit (which is done by a vet) either than that it is really hard to tell, other things to look out for are scratching in the corner of the cage, lying on her side a lot. I would suggest bringing her inside to keep her warm, in regards to a nest box it's personal choice I tried my bunny boo on them and she was not fussed she preferred the corner of the cage :) give her more food and lots of veg as she will be hungrier :) and just wait and see, the signs you will see before she gives birth are scratching in the cage and fur pulling, she will start to make a nest for babies, rabbits usually give birth in the middle of the night hope this helps x

Hello!

Thankyou for your replies I have only just logged back on since my original post.

Well today was the day I was going to take "nancy" to the vets to get her checks over - I didn't do beforehand as was told she was heavily pregnant when we rehomed her and didn't want to stress her anymore than needs be. Then this morning my son went out first thing to feed an water the rabbits and comes running back in saying there's fluff everywhere! I went and had a look in her nest area she had filled it with fur but no babies, so I expected they would be here either in the night tonight or tomorrow night.... Just took her some veg out and we have babies!!! Not sure how many as didn't want to open the nest area I could just hear a muffled deep squeak and movement and see the nest moving. Nancy seems happy, going to leave her alone as much as possible now for next few days as she had a stressful few weeks and would break my heart if she killed them.

Feeling really proud of her!!! :)

Awww - bless her:love:

It's so kind of you to give her a loving home and environment to have her babies:thumb:

Lots of vibes to her and the kits - I hope they all thrive:love:

Well done you!!! Well done mum too!!!
I think your very brave to take her on but a very admirable thing to do.
Keep us updated can't wait to see the babies x

Back