• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My double sized shed is a blank canvas

Mormordook

Young Bun
Hi everyone .... I'm new to keeping bunnies. I am getting 2 rescue bunnies next week and I'm planning on letting them free range in the large garden shed and hopefully cut an opening out in to their run. It really is a massive shed and I can convert it to suit the bunnies . I was thinking about putting a hutch in the back of the shed with door always open. Is that a sensible idea ? I also wondered if I should go for a hutch with an upper level or just go for a single story as they are inside the shed anyway ? Any advice is welcome. I have 2 guinea pigs too ( that will not be in with the bunnies ) and in winter their hutch goes in the shed but I keep their hutch closed in the shed. I'm thinking I could have a guinea section and a much larger rabbit section . Somehow separated . Thanks everyone :)

Personally I think unless you already have the hutch you'd be totally fine without one. They're relatively expensive and you can create nice little cubby holes and places to hide/snooze without the expense and space of a large hutch. If you have one you could definitely put it in if you wanted, or even better you could put it in the run if the run is big enough, but I personally wouldn't buy one specifically for use in the shed.

A shed/run setup sounds great, just make sure to securely attach the run to the shed with screws or brackets in case of predators. Cat flaps work well as a good bunny sized entrance from shed to run, or alternatively the runaround doors are great (http://www.runaround.co.uk/products/runaround-door-1) and the standard sizes are built so that foxes can't fit through so it adds an extra layer of security. Plus for the slightly more intellectually challenged bunnies there's no 'flap' like you get in a cat flap that may confuse them :roll:

What is your guinea pig accommodation like? I've seen quite a few people have double/triple hutches in their bunny sheds and designate the top floor or two specifically for guinea pigs in the winter. Alternatively you could just stack their hutch on top of the bunnies hutch, or get a guinea pig hutch on legs. As long as you protect the legs from the bunnies roaming underneath they'll be nice and secure, but the bunnies will have extra floor space compared to partitioning it off. It may not work though depending on how you house your guineas etc, I've just always thought it's quite a clever way around housing them in close proximity. For sectioning the shed off inside aviary or run panels work well. Local carpenters should be able to build you custom size panels if you can't find pre-made ones, often with a small door at the top to make getting in and out easier for you but not allowing the bunnies to get out. Alternatively obviously you can make this yourself :D

Something enclosed is a good idea, but inside a shed it can just be a cardboard box (for example). Shelves are a good one, rabbits love to sit on raised platforms and it's quite easy to do with just a couple of shelf brackets.

Thanks so much for the advice . About the guinea accommodation .....I thought about stacking a new longer hutch on a shelf above the rabbit bit but I definitely think I need a joiner to come and give the shed a wee make over to fit my plans . If I did put a hutch inside would people recommend one with or without a ramp between floors ? My guineas can only do up ramps ( they've not got a great Mensa score ) so the have a flat accommodation. Wondered if it was same for bunnies ? Again thanks :)

Bunnies can generally do ramps fine, you can use steps (mini shelves) to so then can hop up/down :)

Back