• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Misty has gone off her pelets!

moi

Mama Doe
I took her to the vets earlier as she wasnt eating, after injections and some emergency syringe fed food she perked up, and had me chasing her for half an hour. She yummed up some dandilions but when I gave her some pelets she turned her nose up. Yet she ate the carrot I gave her. She loved her pellets untill yesterday x

Rabbits with a reduced gut motility often refuse pellets/dry food but they may eat grass/weeds/veg etc. It is because they need lots of fluid intake to re-hydrate the gut contents. Veg etc contain a lot of water. So try to encourage Misty to drink as much as possible. If she does not get too stressed by handling then syringing water into her would help. Aim to give at least 10ml/kg every couple of hours. Continue offering her the veg she is used to, but I'd avoid giving her more carrot. They have a high sugar content and that can significantly exacerbate GI tract problems. Lots of fibre (hay/grass) and lots of water will be of most benefit to her, along with some exercise before it gets too hot.

Sorry for late reply,I've been syringe feeding her special food from the vets and her meds. Very stressful I might add, she does not like being handled at all. Back to the vets in the morning as she's not eating hardly anything tonight :( x

So this morning Misty is back to herself, she yummed up her pellets and veg, and when we went to the vet for her follow up she thumped the whole way and tried to push the door to the carrier open! :D My little moobag is on the mend :)

Back