• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New indoor hutch (pic heavy)

bizziel

Alpha Buck
So I've finally finished setting up the new hutch and the happy couple have moved in today! Just waiting on a new bigger litter tray and some hay racks. The tray will take a few days but Amazon have promised the racks will be here today.

Their old set up:

ja4yta4e.jpg

Our poor fishy died at the ripe old age of 12 years :cry: he was our first pet together. We decided to use the full space for the bunnies.

I decided on an indoor hutch so they can have two storeys plus can keep them away from the cat if needs be. I saw the lovely holiday hutches that Helen has at the rabbit crossing so after looking about a bit I ordered one from Kernow pet housing. Pilch could make to any size so i ordered 6ft L x 2ft6 D x 4ft H to make the most of available space under the stairs.

gujyvu4a.jpg

It arrived flat packed but was really easy to put together.

y7ajugep.jpg

9yby8yqa.jpg

I put lino down on the floors and sealed the edges with bathroom sealant. I then put skirting boards treated with cuprinol around the edges to stop bunny chewage (tks for the tips yaretzi).

I also tried to pretty it up a bit with some blue features on the outside.

And here is the finished product complete with bunsters. I'm rubbish at diy so I'm actually really proud of myself :)

ady3eqe9.jpg

evu9u9um.jpg

And the upstairs bedroom

9ytu2e3e.jpg

epu5yha9.jpg

With Coco demanding nose rubs in the bottom left :)
e6a3e3yz.jpg

Last edited:
Looks lovely :love: do they manage to come up the hole from the ramp ok, there's normally a landing area?

Great :thumb: I think sometimes I over think things :oops:
No, I can see your point. I wondered about it but it seemed a better use of space than to have a landing, it's quite neat having the ramp right in the corner and makes the downstairs more usable.

Looks lovely :D I'd put a mat at the base of the ramp. It will stop their back legs from slipping on the lino which wont have much traction. If they were a bit too enthusiastic about going up the ramp they could hurt their spine if their back legs slipped xx

Looks lovely :D I'd put a mat at the base of the ramp. It will stop their back legs from slipping on the lino which wont have much traction. If they were a bit too enthusiastic about going up the ramp they could hurt their spine if their back legs slipped xx
Thanks for the tip Jane, I certainly will! ::eek:

Lucky bunnies, looking happy in their kingdom... :love: It looks massive! :shock::thumb:

Lovely set up. :D

Lovely hutch! :love: I love the blue :D

Do you find that the buns chew the skirting board? I'm wondering whether to use skirting board or a carpet strip at the edge of my lino.....

x

Lovely hutch! :love: I love the blue :D

Do you find that the buns chew the skirting board? I'm wondering whether to use skirting board or a carpet strip at the edge of my lino.....

x
They haven't yet but it's only been 10hrs :D I wanted something that went a little way up the wall to protect from any litter tray misses etc. i figure I can strip them off and replace them if needs be. I'm hoping the skirting boards sloping at the top will deter chewing as there is no obvious corner, but we'll see!

Thanks everyone. They seem to be enjoying the extra space but I've also seen some chasing this evening which we don't usually get. Is it possible the new set up is affecting their bond?

Thanks everyone. They seem to be enjoying the extra space but I've also seen some chasing this evening which we don't usually get. Is it possible the new set up is affecting their bond?

Could be, yes. It might be worthwhile confining them to their hutch only for a while to reestablish their bond, almost as if you were bonding. A couple of days should do it :thumb:

Could be, yes. It might be worthwhile confining them to their hutch only for a while to reestablish their bond, almost as if you were bonding. A couple of days should do it :thumb:
Thanks Zoobec, I'll do that. I think they'll be ok but want to be sure.

I'm sure they will be fine. When I first got Dandy and Beano from the RSPCA (closely bonded brothers) they chased each other and scuffled over a food bowl. I was so shocked. I removed the bowl, scatter fed and confined them to the hutch for a couple of days and then they were fine, and have been ever since :thumb:

Back