• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another Thing to Consider if Your Rabbit Has an Ear Infection.............

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
......either of an acute or chronic nature. That is that the Rabbit may also experience a very painful throat, especially when trying to swallow. So another reason that good analgesia is so, so important.

I say this as I am now experiencing first hand the throat/glandular pain that a severe ear infection can cause. I cannot imagine how Morse remained so bright and happy if he too had even a fraction of the amount of throat pain I am experiencing.

It is little wonder that a Rabbit with an ear infection may stop eating, not 'just' because of the ear pain but because of the unbelievable throat/glandular pain swallowing causes

So if you consult a Vet about a Rabbit with an ear problem please be insistent on the Vet prescribing ongoing analgesic cover.

I totally agree with you Jane, things like that cause severe pain. I think the same also applies to any abscess, wherever it is and however small it looks. A couple of years back I had a small abscess on my boob (sorry, tmi I know) and oh my goodness it was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. It was only tiny so it really didn't look much and I'm sure even that size on a rabbit I would have dismissed it as 'only a small abscess' but I almost punched my GP when she tried to examine it because it was just soooo painful. I could barely move with the pain, let alone think about eating or anything like that! So I think whenever bunny has anything like this, it is well worth asking for pain relief as well as antibiotics. As Richard Saunders said last year, the easiest way to tell if a rabbit is in pain is to give it pain relief and see if its behaviour changes!

I totally agree with you Jane, things like that cause severe pain. I think the same also applies to any abscess, wherever it is and however small it looks. A couple of years back I had a small abscess on my boob (sorry, tmi I know) and oh my goodness it was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. It was only tiny so it really didn't look much and I'm sure even that size on a rabbit I would have dismissed it as 'only a small abscess' but I almost punched my GP when she tried to examine it because it was just soooo painful. I could barely move with the pain, let alone think about eating or anything like that! So I think whenever bunny has anything like this, it is well worth asking for pain relief as well as antibiotics. As Richard Saunders said last year, the easiest way to tell if a rabbit is in pain is to give it pain relief and see if its behaviour changes!

Oh lordy, I have had a breast abscess and I totally agree about the pain involved :shock: Mine was caused by a bit of hay that had embedded itself in a nipple :?

I remember when I had tonsilitus, it was so painful to swallow. Hope you are feeling better soon xx

Oh lordy, I have had a breast abscess and I totally agree about the pain involved :shock: Mine was caused by a bit of hay that had embedded itself in a nipple :?

Mine was a piece of conifer, you know how it flakes off into those horrid dry brown bits!!

Back