• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How much should you put them through?!

maggyrose

Warren Scout
We have a male mini lop who have a thread going about his illness - but this is a question I want to pose in general to everyone

How much stress do you put your rabbit through to find the answer to their illness?

He has had 2 GA's and has been to vets 4 times in just over a month, he also has to have to bum checked all the time, he has to cleaned and brushed around his behind and legs, he also has to have medicine by syringe 3 times a day.

The next step is to take him on a 5 hour return trip for CT scan - and that may not give us an answer :(

I was in tears last night after checking him and seeing more wetness and hair falling out, he was getting upset as I was cleaning and brushing his hair.

He is insured, Im waiting to see if helpucover pays for the claim so far which is £490 so far... even if they will carry on paying for his care I am not sure this is the right thing for our boy.... :cry:

I have had to let go of a few animals because treatment didn't work and I think deep down, you know when there is a stopping point.

You can't say "X weeks" or "X treatments" - you just look at them one day and know they're tired and had enough.

No one else can ever tell you when that day is but your bunny x

I agree that you will know, and it is usually the day that you start asking yourself (and others) the question. It is the time when the light goes out of their eyes and they start to resist their medication if they had been taking it well before. It is incredibly hard to make that decision, but is often best for your bun in the long run. :(

I agree that only you will know but all I would say is that there are worse things can happen than being humanely put to sleep. Think about whether you are carrying on for the animal or for you

A good vet will do everything they can to save an animal. .but will also know when to stop trying. If you are in doubt maybe have a frank talk with your vet about the realistic outcome and if it is worth continuing with treatment.

And ... as it has been said...try to read what your bun is trying to tell you.

It is such a hard decision to make...and heart breaking too. But it is also a final gift we can give these creatures who rely on us for everything.

Loads of hugs to you.

I have had to let go of a few animals because treatment didn't work and I think deep down, you know when there is a stopping point.

You can't say "X weeks" or "X treatments" - you just look at them one day and know they're tired and had enough.

No one else can ever tell you when that day is but your bunny x

I agree. You'll probably know when the right time is to stop.

Quality of life is most important.

What a dilemma... i would say you know your bunny best.. With a good vets advice, you can both make an informed choice,,,

Sorry you're both going through this

Love
Fee x

I would also add it depends on the possible long term outcome. If it is possible he will get better then that is different to something they will never recover from.

Just checked out your other thread and tbh I would be nowhere near thinking it was the end of the line yet. Looks like some options of cause haven't been explored yet or treated for and cause not yet found. Try keeping him on towels over vet bed. Use sudocrem if sore. Don't wash more than absolutely necessary. Use rearguard. Have shape of penis and penis sheath checked. Also ec treated for

Just checked out your other thread and tbh I would be nowhere near thinking it was the end of the line yet. Looks like some options of cause haven't been explored yet or treated for and cause not yet found. Try keeping him on towels over vet bed. Use sudocrem if sore. Don't wash more than absolutely necessary. Use rearguard. Have shape of penis and penis sheath checked. Also ec treated for

thanks everyone, im feeling lot better today about him even though he has clumps of hair falling from his bum, legs and feet... i have washed him few times when it first started but recently only washing using wet warm cotton wool balls...his fur just feels tacky..the skin has nice new hair growing over it now, but think another bald patch maybe starting the otherside now

x

Back