• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

maisie piggy needs vibes please u/d she's gone

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
she hasn't long finished her eyedrops and now we were back at the vets today. during the drops, she lost more weight. i thought it was just because of that but then this morning she had fishy smelling urine with blood spots, and she has lost another 95g. she's now her lowest ever weight.

to cut a long story short - she has most probably got something wrong with her kidneys. :cry: the vet strongly suspects this. :cry: she also has a uti again so is on treatment for that, and she is on metacam aswell for that and because she has arthritis in both back legs now. :cry:

she's back at the vets next week for bloods. they will run a full blood profile to check mainly her kidneys, but other organs aswell.

she's very very skinny now. :( but the vet said her gut sounds were fantastic and her poops fantastic aswell. she's still eating as normal and is fairly bright. resting quite alot but being amazing.

i also have to give her extra vitamin c.

i'm so gutted though. what if it is her kidneys? :cry::cry::cry:

eta: she also had tiny bits of grit in her urine aswell.

Last edited:
Poor Maisie. Try not to panic though. They can give an anabolic steroid injection as support for the kidneys. Also, not 100% on this, but isn't Rimadyl recommended rather than Metacam, in cases involving the kidneys?

thank you. i'm trying to stay calm and not get ahead of myself, but it's hard. i am very worried. :(

it's been so stressful because our usual vet is on holiday, and our backup wasn't there to consult, so we had to see the new vet for the first time. he seems nice though. but i just wish aidan was there. :(

she's only on metacam initially for 7days, and back on marbocyl aswell. and then she will need vitamin c aswell. we'll be back at the vets to reassess next week though so this may change.

my poor girl. it has been one thing after another for her lately. :( x

Oh poor Maisie :( I was so hoping her health troubles were over and that she'd be feeling better.
Sending massive amounts of vibes for her. Did Eddie get seen too or is he doing okay now?
I also would've thought something other than metacam but if there's inflammation I don't know how well rimadyl works for that. Our senior dogs used to take that or tramadol and it didn't do much for them. :(
How long will Aidan be away? I get very low when Mimzy's vet is not on and just pray no one has any issues. There's a ton of comfort in seeing your regular vet despite how with it a different one might be, but I realize not everyone can be on call indefinitely. :(
Thinking of you all. (((((((((Huge hugs))))))) xxxxxxx

Poor little Maisie :( perhaps the eye problems & allergies have run her down which is why she has a uti again? Hopefully it is something like that and she will respond to treatment again. Sending lots of vibes for your beautiful girl x

thanks for the vibes.

i really think she may have hurt herself. she's bunny hopping quite alot. the thing is - we saw aidan about a week ago/9days and he felt her for anymore stiffness as he always does and there wasn't any. so it doesn't seem likely to me that she would get arthritis in her other leg in this space of time, and for it to be worse than the arthritis in her right leg that she has had for ages. :?

i know it could also be linked to vitamin c though and her not being able to get what she needs from her food.

she had her meds when we got back from the vets, and she's had her tea and just now had some pellet mash with her normal pellets, which she loved.

there are still blood spots in her urine, and every so often that fishy smell is back. it is so strong.

she's quite tired and resting alot as she walks around but is eating as normal and pooping normally. also drinking normally aswell. she's definitely tired but she's also staying quite bright within herself aswell.

the piggy forum mentioned syringe feeding her aswell but what do you lot think? i don't know if that would be too much for her tummy if she's eating normally?? :? or whether small amounts would be good for extra nutrition and help??

i'm not sure about something else instead of metacam but it's short term for now so maybe that is why he still gave that.

thank you for the support. i need it. :cry: x

eta: mimzmum - eddie is in good health. :wave: x eta again! - aidan isn't back until the 11th :(

Last edited:
Only just seen this thread. I know absolutely nothing about Piggies, but sending lots of vibes for her xx

I have limited knowledge about Piggies, but I dont think I would be syringe feeding her if she is eating reasonably well. It could cause GI tract problems I think :?

Could she have bladder/kidney stones

Pain in her kidneys may be why she 'Bunny hops', a more normal gait may be more uncomfortable ?

I dont know if it is the same for GPs, but when Lady Lydia (Rabbit) had acute Pyelonephritis she was not able to have Metacam or any other NSAID, she had Vetergesic as an analgesic. To be honest in the eraly stages Metacam would not have been enough to keep on top of the pain.

Sending more vibes for Maisie xx

I have limited knowledge about Piggies, but I dont think I would be syringe feeding her if she is eating reasonably well. It could cause GI tract problems I think :?

Could she have bladder/kidney stones

Pain in her kidneys may be why she 'Bunny hops', a more normal gait may be more uncomfortable ?

I dont know if it is the same for GPs, but when Lady Lydia (Rabbit) had acute Pyelonephritis she was not able to have Metacam or any other NSAID, she had Vetergesic as an analgesic. To be honest in the eraly stages Metacam would not have been enough to keep on top of the pain.

Sending more vibes for Maisie xx

i feel the same regarding the syringe feeding to be honest. i'll be offering her some extra pellets and pellet mash for now i think. i would be worried she would feel full from the syringe feeding and then not want to eat as she is. she's still eating massive amounts of hay as always which will be so good for her.

she didn't have any bladder/kidney stones on her last xray a few months ago. the chronic cystitis she had that we struggled to get a hold of from december to march resulted in her having xrays and they showed no sludge or stones. i know how quickly things can change though, and this vet did say that there were tiny bits of grit/sludge in the urine, and we were told by aidan that she could potentially end up with stones if we couldn't get the cystitis under control. thankfully we did, and to be honest, this doesn't seem the same to me. so i think there is something else.

he did say her hopping could be from arthritis, or kidney pain, or her not having enough vitamin c/not being able to use it properly. i think he said it cause blood to leak into bones and affect them? i can't remember exactly but something like that. :? i'm probably just looking for explanations. but because she has been on eyedrops, i have had to pick her up from the cage 3-4x a day and she sometimes scurried off around the cage away from me, and i am worried that it was too much on her joints and on her arthritis already and that she could have hurt herself. i hope i didn't hurt her by picking her up if she was already sore. :(

do you have any idea what the fishy smell is about?? can it be due to infection? or something else? it's so strong. to me it seems more than an infection to cause that. it smells like rotting. :cry:

i've been awake all night and maisie has been shouting me over every so often to demand attention and more hay. i think she seems a little less tired this morning so far.

i've messaged sarahp for the vitamin c dose from the tablets she sent, because i didn't write it down. which i normally do. :roll: so hopefully these will help aswell. the vet said to feed some pepper but maisie can only tolerate the green peppers for some reason :shock: so i'll get one for her aswell. she's not good with anything too sweet and sugary really so i'll just probably stick to a slice a day.

x

eta: the other thing she was doing that i forgot to mention, was only putting the front half of her body down to rest/sleep. and she was taking ages to get up to come over to us. she talks so we don't go and she finally manages to get up and start walking. she seems better with that this morning though and has run over quite quickly when she sees me.

Last edited:
Poor little Maisie, bless her.

Sending lots of vibes and I hope she is feeling a bit better today xxxxx

How old is Maisie ?

In humans hormonal changes after the menopause cause a thinning of the lining of the bladder and urethra which makes them a lot more sensitive and susceptible to cystitis. Sometimes there is not an active bacterial infection but there is still chronic inflammation that causes a lot of pelvic pain.

Fishy smelling urine often occurs in cases of cystitis

I hope Maisie shows signs of improvement soon xx

Back