• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Treat for rabbits

Hi i am looking for atternitive veg treats for my rabbits either than carrots. Any ideas welcome xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Peppers, broccoli (in small amounts), cucumber, cauliflower, spring greens, curly kale cabbage, pak choi... The list goes on and on, in fact all that I have listed are probably healthier than carrots as carrots have such a high sugar content. Be cautious of the gassy veggies like cabbage and broccoli as some buns don't tolerate them very well and obviously introduce any new food item slowly :)

Or you could try forage, it's amazing how many weeds are bunny safe, I'm hopeless at gardening and even I can recognise several bunny safe wild plants now. The buns love them and I always think they are closer to a buns natural diet than veg plus they are free! :lol:

My bun HATES dried forage!spent £4 on a woodlands one and he refuses to eat it!

I'm slowly introducing new veg atm but he loves hay cubes. Keeps him busy for a while and it's ok for his gut because it's all hay.
He loves carrot tops but I don't give him the actual carrot and I'm gunna try the cucumber though so thanks hele :)

Once I become more garden savy, I hope to get him more fresh forage :)

Thank u all for ur reply n i will defo look into getting somethin different than carrots. Im going shopping tomorrow so will defo look n get some different alternitives. Thanks again. I got a rex n lop ear rabbit so is there anything there alergic too or can i give them both the same.
Kind regards.

Thank u all for ur reply n i will defo look into getting somethin different than carrots. Im going shopping tomorrow so will defo look n get some different alternitives. Thanks again. I got a rex n lop ear rabbit so is there anything there alergic too or can i give them both the same.
Kind regards.

There isn't anything that'd be a bad idea for either of your bunnies by fault, but you definitely need to introduce new things gradually as cabbage and broccoli etc can cause gas if given too much too quickly. Luckily cabbage and spring greens are one of the cheapest veg so it works out really nicely for budgetting! In our house we tend to eat cauliflower and celery but give the leaves of both to the bunnies, so that also works out really cost effective. They also get the broccoli stalk which they spend ages munching!

Carrots are best given in very very small quantities, if at all, because of the sugar content. At the absolute maximum I'd be feeding a small slice of 1/2 a cm every so often. Personally my bunnies almost never get carrot - the only time they do get it is when I leave a tiny bit attached to the carrot tops. Poor bunnies, they're so hard done by!

Thank you all for ur advice really feel much better now abiut the more vairied diet they can have as atm it the same thing so looking forward to going "rabbit treat" shopping . Thank u all for ur kind words and not juding me. :)

Hi i am looking for atternitive veg treats for my rabbits either than carrots. Any ideas welcome xx

If you can afford it, keep an eye out at the supermarket for reduced herb plants as they often go for £1 or less. Cut bunches of herbs often go for as little as 10p. Thyme, parsley, basil, coriander and mint are all a much appreciated treat.

And the outer leaves of sweetcorn cobs are great favourites as well.

Incidentally, Morrisons are usually very amenable to giving you bags of cauli trimmings without charge if you ask. The people working in that section will often even cut some trimmings for you while you wait.

Last edited:
Hi. Thank u for all ur reply's is it the strawberry leaves? also mint leaves? Does anyone no if cress is good for my rex and lop ear. Sorry for all the q's.

Hi. Thank u for all ur reply's is it the strawberry leaves? also mint leaves? Does anyone no if cress is good for my rex and lop ear. Sorry for all the q's.

Yes the leaves.
Watercress is good for them to eat, the cress you get in a plastic pot isn't (I don't think)

My buns do like the leaves from strawberry plants but they don't really see it as a treat but you can now buy mint that has a strawberry or banana flavour - and that's a treat judging by their reaction to it:

http://www.manorfarmherbs.co.uk/herbinfo/strawberry_mint

http://www.manorfarmherbs.co.uk/+/herbinfo/mint_banana

Back