• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fly solution

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
OMG so I have tried everything to keep flies away, it wasn't until I joined a chicken keeping facebook page that they recommend a red top fly catcher, I thought well might aswell try it, and wow!! I have never known a product work so well!!

its a bag, with a net funnel, the flies go into the funnel and then the bag and cannot get back out again! it does use chemicals, and its a tad pongy! hence you keep it 5m away from 'human' areas, but wow its seriously works, I have 3 of them up in my garden now and the difference it unbelievable! no flies in the house and there not really noticeable outside either!

10524335_10204309976053008_3789726827976238206_n.jpg

OMG so I have tried everything to keep flies away, it wasn't until I joined a chicken keeping facebook page that they recommend a red top fly catcher, I thought well might aswell try it, and wow!! I have never known a product work so well!!

its a bag, with a net funnel, the flies go into the funnel and then the bag and cannot get back out again! it does use chemicals, and its a tad pongy! hence you keep it 5m away from 'human' areas, but wow its seriously works, I have 3 of them up in my garden now and the difference it unbelievable! no flies in the house and there not really noticeable outside either!

10524335_10204309976053008_3789726827976238206_n.jpg
What's the black stuff in the bag? Please don't say dead flys:shock:

Yep...I used these when I had chickens....It was called flies be gone and had a disgusting smell so best put at the maximum distance you can, away from the house/buns (the instructions should tell you the optimum distance) I used milk cartons with holes melted in side, and just bought refill sachets.

They do need to be emptied/disposed off regularly, as I noticed that the flies which didn't die started to breed in the trap (I could see some maggots in mine), which I attributed to the sudden expeansion of what appeared to be dead flies in the trap.

Overall it appeared to work great!

Totally agree, they're amazing! I have never seen so many flies as where we live now, the kitchen has been full of them and it was driving me insane until I got one of these. My first one burst though, the bag came detached from the top and I woke up to a splatted mess of dead flies all over the patio :mrgreen: The substance in them is a pheromone, so it is non-toxic and attracts flies but not other insects like bees or butterflies; it takes about 2 days before it gets going and just as you're thinking that it's not working, it starts filling up really quickly!!

Another small trick that I've found works is to cut the top off a squash bottle, put a little squash/orange juice/beer etc into the bottom, turn the top round so that it creates a funnel, and put that somewhere outside where you want to get rid of flies (mine is next to the baby bunny run). The flies go down into the bottle to get to the sweet liquid and then can't get back out again. Not as good as the red top, but a free alternative if you don't have masses of flies.

Back